PDA

View Full Version : $11's to the $22

11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I am thinking of jumping from the 11's to the 22's and I was just wondering what I should look for. I played 3 22 dollar tournaments a while ago with my best finish being 3rd and they seem a good bit tougher than the 11's. Does the same strategy of super tight early, pushbot late apply to these as well? Are there a lot of fish in the 22's? How much harder are they than the 11's on average. Any insight helps thanks.

SonnyJay
11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I personally didn't find it very different. Maybe a few fewer super-fish at the $22s than at the $11s, and a couple more people who understand what they're doing, but it's not that much tougher. The same strategy applies though there may be a few more people who know the strategy. Don't worry about it though.

Good luck.

-SonnyJay

11-07-2005, 07:09 PM
$22s aren't noticably different. You'll just have one or two people who actually play pretty solid poker all the way through. Just identify those players and try to prey on the weaker ones because they definitely exist.

Just stay solid and you'll be fine. Don't out-think yourself because it's a $22. The same old poker is just as good.

microbet
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm going to be contrarian and say there is a pretty big difference. I there is a pretty sizable ROI drop to expect and this is probably an anomoly, but I really saw a lot of 2p2ers in the 22s. Raptor, are you still 20 tabling them?

bones
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
If you're a good poker player, I think you'll be more successful at the 22s than 11s.

11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Piece of cake. 11's might have more crazies in level1 (pushing with KT etc) but mostly the same.

playtitleist
11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good poker player, I think you'll be more successful at the 22s than 11s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to believe this, but so many respected posters disagree.

11-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Since everybody is much more tight early on in the 22's, should you play more aggressively early on and try to take some pots like in level 2, level 3...

11-08-2005, 01:43 AM
I said this in a previous thread - for some reason I can beat the 11s for an ROI of over 20%, but am in the negatives at the 22s over a couple hundred. I have no idea why, I think I am playing the same. Maybe it's just me, who knows.

Slim Pickens
11-08-2005, 02:20 AM
If you're a good poker player, you'll be more profitable at the 22's than the 11's. The adjustments you need to make are small enough that if you play you're normal winning 11's game, you'll still win at the 22's. Just play within your bankroll and you'll be fine. The worst thing to so is to over-react.

bluef0x
11-08-2005, 02:22 AM
No... just because 2+2'ers are playing tight doesn't mean the whole partypoker network is.

playtitleist
11-08-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good poker player, you'll be more profitable at the 22's than the 11's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, this is the 2nd time in this thread that somebody has made a statement similar to this, both of whom I consider respected posters (Bones and Slim).

Yet, so many other respected posters say it's non-sense to think one should expect more success at a higher level.

My thought would be the $22s might be more profitable, because you run into less madmen. But, if you think about it, that makes no sense, for the madmen will lose in the end and it is to our advantage to play against them.

Slim, are you saying the increment in net dollars is significant enough to offset any expected decrease in ROI? Thus making it more profitable?

Or are you suggesting a good poker player can have a greater ROI at the $22s than at the $11s. If so, please elaborate?

Thanks.

1C5
11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Except on the bubble, you don't want madmen, you want tight predictable players so you can get chips without a showdown.

gildwulf
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said this in a previous thread - for some reason I can beat the 11s for an ROI of over 20%, but am in the negatives at the 22s over a couple hundred. I have no idea why, I think I am playing the same. Maybe it's just me, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance. The difference between 11s and 22s is small.

Just move up when you have the bankroll, when you feel you are soundly beating your current level (regardless of ROI...magnitude of ROI is overated and somewhat meaningless particularly as you are playing such a small number of SNGs as you move up) and feel comfortable losing 20-30+ buy-ins at the next level. For example, I cashed out my bankroll for gradschool and started over (a la stupidsucker), but even if I had the bankroll I would not feel comfortable dropping 5-7 grand at the 215s.

11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I tend to notice the most difference between the games in the middle of the day. $22's fill up with better players, while the $11's are still full of people who watch too much poker on TV. In peak times though I feel like they are both reasonably similar. Anyone else feel this way?

Slim Pickens
11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
You've got it. I think your ROI will drop at the 22's, but not nearly enough to offset the added profitability of the bigger payouts. A lot of beginning players see ROI as success, but after playing a while, $/hr just feels better.