PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Odds in Omaha

11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Is calculating odds in omaha the same as calculating odds in hold em? For example, is there still a 20% chance that you will hit your flush on the river from the turn? If not, how do you calculate the odds? Are there any similariaties and differences in calculating the odds between the two games?

gmunny
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
As long as you only have 2 of that suit in your hand, it's the same as hold 'em. Calculating odds based on outs is the exact same. The hard part in Omaha vs. HE is actually counting your outs since you have 4 cards instead of 2.
G$

11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
The odds of geting a flush on the river are very close to hold 'em. The only difference is you have 2 extra (hopefully non-flush!) cards in your hand. You have 9 out out of 44 instead of 9 out of 46.

A bigger difference is whether the flush is any good. Your river flush card could pair the board, giving someone else a boat. This factor eliminates 2 of your outs giving you 7/44 = 16%.

gmunny
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The odds of geting a flush on the river are very close to hold 'em. The only difference is you have 2 extra (hopefully non-flush!) cards in your hand. You have 9 out out of 44 instead of 9 out of 46.

A bigger difference is whether the flush is any good. Your river flush card could pair the board, giving someone else a boat. This factor eliminates 2 of your outs giving you 7/44 = 16%.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad /images/graemlins/blush.gif
Mike is right. DOH, I totally forgot you should back out 4 from your hand instead of 2. I guess that is why I swag the pot odds anyway!
G$

11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I figured they would be similar. I am still new to omaha. Are there any other type of calculations in omaha that differ from hold em besides pot odds?

11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
What about if one of your flush cards would pair the board? Let's say you have exactly two spades in your hand, and there are two spades on the board on fourth street. So there are two non spades on the board, lets say 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif and 7/images/graemlins/club.gif. If the river came the 5 or 7 of spades, you could very likely lose to a winning full house. In Hold'em these are partial outs, but what about in Omaha where it's very likely someone holds the nuts or near nuts? This is epecially true in the lower limits where more people are involved in a hand.

11-07-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about if one of your flush cards would pair the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, they should not be counted as outs, unless you have a very good reason to think otherwise.

11-08-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about if one of your flush cards would pair the board?

[/ QUOTE ]
The odds that a single random Omaha hand will have a boat on a paired board is 1 in 6. In HE it's more like 1 in 36. Mind you, there's a big difference between a paired flop and a runner-runner pair.

However, it's easier to make a boat in HE when the board is double paired than it is in Omaha. In HE the odds a single random opponent has a boat when the board is double paired is slightly better than 1 in 6. In Omaha it's only 1 in 9.