PDA

View Full Version : In right away or wait for the big blind

11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Hadn't seen this topic before, but I am sure it has been covered. Online, when entering a game do you wait for the big blind or jump in right away. I always have waited in the past just to get a look at the field for a few hands, but I have noticed that everybody seems to like to attack the new guy in the game. My bb gets raised and 3-bet much more often than usual.

Adde
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Wait if < 5 hands to me, post BB if > 4 hands to me.

Adde

Niediam
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
It doesn't really matter...

But I usually post if Im in the CO or MP3 and wait otherwise. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I post anywhere between MP1 and CO

beavens
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
i play 6max, so the wait usually isnt long.. so i'll wait unless im really itching to play and the CO is open

Zetack
11-07-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i play 6max, so the wait usually isnt long.. so i'll wait unless im really itching to play and the CO is open

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting in the Cut-Off or worse position in six max is more costly than in a full ring game (where its actually cheaper than posting in the blinds) particularly when you consider how close you always are to posting in the BB.

At six max when you post in the BB you see six hands for 1.5 small bets or .25 small bets per hand. If you post in the Co you see three hands before posting the BB again, so that's three hands for one small bet or .33 small bets per hand.

In a full ring game you if you post in the BB you pay 1.5 small bets for ten hands or .15 SB's per hand. Posting in the cutoff you get seven hands for your one SB or .14 SB's per hand so its actually cheaper to post there.

In short, I tend to wait for the BB in six max, I tend to post in later positions in full, even when its not actually saving me money, because I figure the oportunity cost of sitting out 5 or six hands is a greater hit than the tiny fraction of a small bet it costs me per hand to post early.

--Zetack

beavens
11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
i almost always wait as to ensure i get the most out of my blinds, but sometimes i can be an impatient ev- kinda guy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zerosum
11-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I wait because . . .

[ QUOTE ]
. . . I have noticed that everybody seems to like to attack the new guy in the game. My bb gets raised and 3-bet much more often than usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arnfinn Madsen
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I play for a living and it is a matter of principle for me not to post before the BB. Why should I play a -EV round in a game, it is like working for minus salary.

Shoe
11-07-2005, 07:49 PM
You have to be in to win!

Arnfinn Madsen
11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah, but if you play at a limit where you have +EV in playing half a round, I think it shows your EV is higher at least 1 limit up.

otter
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
If you play the higher limits and post behind you're probably still going to get raised, but it's better than paying a small blind. Plus you have position in case you do have something worth playing. I usually wait at least one round to see how the tble is.