PDA

View Full Version : Absolute .5/1 full table question

checkmate36
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Seems like its tight/passive past few sessions. Is it always that way? I just deposited $$$ going after the bonus. So far its nothing like party at the same limit.

Thanks for any info.

MrWookie47
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Yep. 6 max tables are pretty soft, however.

11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Lots of 2+2ers there, and lots of maniacs....it is not uncommon for 3 people to be 22/17/2.1 then another person being 54/35/4.3.

Margon

11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems like its tight/passive past few sessions. Is it always that way?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...absolutely.

(laugh track goes bonkers)

Absolute is where the bonus-chasers and rakeback addicts congregate and attempt to get free cash while losing as little money playing poker as possible.

As will be mentioned repeatedly, the 6-max is much softer, but that's just because fewer people know how to play 6-max. And even those games are nowhere near as soft as Party, Stars or even Ultimate Bet(!!). 6-max is the ultimate in variance, though, so if you're new to poker you may not want to go there just yet.

The weak-tight full ring tables ARE beatable, though. You won't win a lot of big pots, but you'll win smaller ones and steal blinds more often.

MrWookie47
11-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Everyone says that 6 max is higher variance, and I don't believe it. I see similar variance from full ring and 6 max. The difference is that your hands/hr is greater at 6 max, meaning the swings come faster. Post your SD/100 (session nots --> more detail) and prove me wrong. And your sample size.

checkmate36
11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The weak-tight full ring tables ARE beatable, though. You won't win a lot of big pots, but you'll win smaller ones and steal blinds more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent the day studying Psychology of Poker, Tight/passive section so I could make the adjustments that are needed to show a profit in these games. Let the blind robbing begin /images/graemlins/smile.gif .

So far I find the game to be very easy to win but we know that is subject to change like the direction of the wind with this game.

11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
0.50/1.00 6-Max
Sessions -- 569
Standard Divation/100 Hands -- 16.6575

0.50/1.00 10-Max
Sessions -- 478
Standard Divation/100 Hands -- 16.1577

Guess your right, but the swings sure seem larger!!!

Margon

11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says that 6 max is higher variance, and I don't believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't done it myself, but people I trust who have done the math say it's the highest variance vs. NL and full ring limit. There was also a thread on this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=holdem&Number=3565647&pag e=0&vc=1&fpart=1) in general.

But I would also be curious about the difference in SD for the average microposter. Like, for example, you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My SD for 6-max is 16.78 (3500 hands), and for full ring it's 16.18 (10k hands) - small sample size (late on the PT boat, new to 6-max).

Personally, all I care about is that I'm crushing 6-max in a way I never did at full tables, but I don't know if I'd toss a beginner in there.

bottomset
11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says that 6 max is higher variance, and I don't believe it. I see similar variance from full ring and 6 max. The difference is that your hands/hr is greater at 6 max, meaning the swings come faster. Post your SD/100 (session nots --> more detail) and prove me wrong. And your sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to say its usually 1-2SD/100 higher at 6max .. I don't have a sample size worthy of fullring

Nilbud
11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
6-max is not easy either. I think a lot of full-ring players, myself included, dump some cash learning it. Players that eek out a profit at full-ring playing weak-tight will lose lots at 6-max as well.

checkmate36
11-07-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6-max is not easy either. I think a lot of full-ring players, myself included, dump some cash learning it. Players that eek out a profit at full-ring playing weak-tight will lose lots at 6-max as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do play a weak-tight game that is, hopefully, improving. I wonder if playing nano-limit 6max to get started is an option to get you started down the HUSH road?

NateDog
11-07-2005, 10:51 PM
I played the absolute nano SH games for a bit. I learned nothing other than 'the raise button is my friend'. Chalk that up to A.D.D. I have since moved up a bit and am slowly, very slowly learning my way around the 6M game. Find a good PF chart and start there. King Yao's book has some good tips on SH play, but nothing will replace time playing.

checkmate36
11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks nate. I have King's book and will check out those limits.

Nilbud
11-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I played some nano 6-max on Absolute last night and I do think it was useful. I've done quite a bit of studying over the last few days, and it's a good way to test drive some of the concepts without losing a lot of cash.

It reminded me of something else as well. I really like playing poker, even just for the competition. I thought .02/.04 would be boring after 1/2, but it was a blast.

Nilbud
11-08-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
King Yao's book has some good tips on SH play, but nothing will replace time playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! I ordered Yao's book the other day and it should be arriving today. I can't wait to see what he has to say about SH play.