PDA

View Full Version : Pork Chops

wiggs73
11-07-2005, 05:12 PM
I've got some pork chops in the freezer. Problem is, I don't know a good way to cook the bastards. Anyone have a good recipe?

samjjones
11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Breaded with sausage gravy and mashed potatoes.

xadrez
11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I like mine simple actually. Get some oil nice and hot in a pan, throw some minced garlic into it.

Put some garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper on the chops and fry them in the pan. When they are about half way done, throw in some onion that is cut into rings.

I like them best when they are crispy, yet not overcooked. So be careful and try to time it correctly.

Serve the porkchop with the onions on top.

For side orders go with rice+beans, or plantains.

miajag81
11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Breaded with sausage gravy and mashed potatoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. I also like giving them a nice herb rub and pan-searing them. Mashed potatoes or maybe sauteed baby red potatoes on the side.

CrazyEyez
11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I just cook mine plain on the BBQ. Maybe some kind of rub. Sear the outside on high heat then cook slow. Don't over cook!
Absolutely delicious if still juicy. Underrated cut of meat, probably because it's easy to dry out.

danzasmack
11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just cook mine plain on the BBQ. Maybe some kind of rub. Sear the outside on high heat then cook slow. Don't over cook!
Absolutely delicious if still juicy. Underrated cut of meat, probably because it's easy to dry out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i use duck sauce when i make them on the BBQ. It's good.

xadrez
11-07-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Underrated cut of meat, probably because it's easy to dry out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long live the porkchop! I could eat them everyday.

wayabvpar
11-07-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got some pork chops in the freezer. Problem is, I don't know a good way to cook the bastards. Anyone have a good recipe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how this happens. Why would you buy something you don't know how to prepare? It isn't like you were out foraging and stumbled onto the porkchops...they got in your freezer for a reason! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrazyEyez
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how this happens. Why would you buy something you don't know how to prepare? It isn't like you were out foraging and stumbled onto the porkchops...they got in your freezer for a reason! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.wildcountry99.com/images/2005/meatRaff.gif

wiggs73
11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, foraging and stumbling comes closer than you'd think to describing how I buy groceries.

But I've had them before at home and at restaurants and decided it was time I learn how to cook them myself. And obviously 2+2 is the place to go for that.

djoyce003
11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
if they are thick I grill them.

Here is a pretty decent recipe. I call it pork chops, hobo style.

Thaw out the pork chops. Cut a few garlic cloves in half, slice 2 yukon gold smallish potatoes, slice an onion, slice up a couple of carrots. put a layer of the veggies on some aluminum foil, salt and pepper them, salt and pepper the chops and put them on top. Put another layer of the veggies on top of that and salt and pepper. Seal the foil and place in a baking dish. Bake at 350 for 45-1 hour. Take out and be careful opening the foil as the steam will jack you up. This is a pretty dang good recipe and really easy. If you want to get exotic, you can toss some fresh sage, thyme or rosemary or all of them in the foil as well....but salt and pepper is damn good.

David04
11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Shake and Bake, anybody?

xadrez
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shake and Bake, anybody?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0005Z7ZQW.01-A2BF95SJ3X97HC._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Benal
11-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Defrost, fry in a frying pan with salt & pepper. Use apple sauce as dip. It goes great with pork chops.

11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/iconsofwales/images/elvis_presley.jpg

whiskeytown
11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
best pork chops I ever had were Cajun pork chops here in MN - great restraunt -

Get some Cajun Seasoning - you'll be in business.

RB

MrTrik
11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually rub the chops with a rub (cajun or italian style) and throw them on the grill. I usually add hot and spicy bbq sauce as they are getting past the half way point.

If you are not into the bbq sauce way, you can marinate them in the fridge for an hour or so. Just throw them in a ziploc baggy with a cup or so of italian dressing. The clearish stuff not the creamy stuff.

In winter I sear them with olive oil, garlic, S&P and then broil them. A bit of chicken stock or some other stock will help them stay moist.

One thing to remember is a thicker chop will cook itself a bit after removing from the heat. So get it off the grill or out of the oven earlier than you think you should. I love them medium rare myself. Just a bit pink inside.

Rduke55
11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Dude, they're porkchops. As long as you don't dry them out they're delicious. Rub 'em, bread 'em, sauce 'em they're grrrreat.
Search for recipes off of google or something.

duk
11-07-2005, 06:53 PM
I had pork chops cooked in Balsamic vinegar at Babbo several years ago. It was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten. I've done poor but somewhat tasty re-creations relatively simply -- fry up some onions and garlic in olive oil, toss in your pork chops, salted and peppered, and some mushrooms. Let them brown on each side, then add balsamic vinegar, and a little wine if you wish. Take the chops out when they're done, boil down the sauce a little and toss it on top.

They're also very tasty marinated in BBQ sauce, grilled, and served with yellow rice.

wiggs73
11-07-2005, 09:08 PM
For those that are interested, I went with shake and bake. About 5 minutes before they were done, I put some brown gravy and diced green onions on them and put them back in the oven. They turned out really well and didn't dry out at all.

Had some stuffing and some corn with them. Not a bad dinner.