PDA

View Full Version : Pinochle Phenomenon

The Dude
11-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I've played a lot of Pinochle in my time, but this absolutely blew my mind. I've seen all eight Aces dealt to the same side probably four or five times, but never have I seen them all get together. So in the last hand of a game last night, I was dealt five aces, took the bid, and was passed the other three. Sweet. 100 pts for double aces around, end of game. Nice.

I shuffle a couple of times, we decide to play another game, I pass the cards to my dad who shuffles some more, and we deal them up. We're still talking about it after my girlfriend gets her pass from her partner, passes back, and says "Hey guys, you're never going to believe this." She lays down all eight aces. Her partner then melds the double pinochle, they score 154 points on the hand, game over.

It took me around 30 minutes to get out of my state of shock and actually smile again. The first time it was dealt, it was cool. I'd never seen it before, we all laughed and had a great time. The second time wasn't entertaining at all. It was just weirded me out.

Strange.

jesusarenque
11-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Pinochle is rigged.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Your story made me smile. I remember playing pinochle with my grandparents(may they rest in peace) and ex-girlfriend. My grandfather and I had a very elaborate bidding system that the girls could never figure out. Good times. Thanks for the post. I haven't thought about it for at least 10 years! BTW -- I never saw 8 aces in one hand either.

The Dude
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
I should add that I think I have played somewhere in the region of 50,000 hands of pinochle in my life, and until these two hands I had never seen them all get together. My father has played perhaps 4 times as many hands as I have, and until this had also never seen them get together.

kyro
11-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I played 4-handed cribbage with friends last night and was dealt Ac 5c 4c 3c....last card was Qc. Oh well.

FishNChips
11-08-2005, 02:51 AM
cool story but....

why is your dad passing you three aces? shudn't he be passing you your suit?

FishNChips