PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Good Sidedish with Baked Salmon?

toss
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Preferably a vegtable based sidedish. I have no idea what goes with salmon. Maybe some bread?

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Serve it on a bed of rice with broccoli and carrots on the side.

SackUp
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
rice always works really well for your carb.

then most veggies do fine, just depending on your preference. I'm a big fan of broccoli and cauliflower, but squash, corn, green beans, asparagus, etc. will all work fine as well.

kipin
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Salmon is a pretty meaty fish, I'd say any side dish you would enjoy with a pork chop or steak would go fine with salmon.

I prefer white short grain rice. Zucchini and grilled corn on the cob also go pretty well.

I always grill salmon... for a couple reasons
1. It tastes much better when cooked over a fire.
2. It won't smell up your house for 3 days.
3. It tastes much better when cooked over a fire.

toss
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks.

kipin
11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

then most veggies do fine, just depending on your preference. I'm a big fan of broccoli and cauliflower, but squash, corn, green beans, asparagus, etc. will all work fine as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dual avatar and similar advice is going to lead people to believe we are the same person... WTF?

11-07-2005, 04:21 PM
stuffing (like you would have with turkey) with crab meat. you can cook it on a stove top. bread, crab meat (fake is fine) little onion, celery, butter, maybe some olive oil. if your going vegetable, i would say boiled spinach loaded with butter.

samjjones
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I don't eat it, but I've often seen asparagus as a sidedish for salmon. Don't know if its in season or not...

JordanIB
11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Just made a full salmon dinner on Saturday...sides were a risotto and stuffed portabelo mushroom.

11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
A crisp green salad. No cooking!!

samjjones
11-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I wish there was some sort of half assed way to make delicious risotto.

2planka
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
asparagus.

dice up some garlic, mix with 2 tbsp olive oil and a dash of salt.

place asparagus on a foiled cookie sheet.

drizzle oil/garlic/salt mixture over asparagus.

stick it under the broiler for a few minutes until soft and done.

benfranklin
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. And get some rice with some flavor, not that Uncle Ben's crap.

Jasmine rice is nice. (http://thaikitchen.bcentralhost.com/JasmineRice.htm) /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shajen
11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
asparagus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or slap it in a tinfoil pouch and put on the grill.

Either way, it's good.

Hallett
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just made a full salmon dinner on Saturday...sides were a risotto and stuffed portabelo mushroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Depending on your climate, I like to BBQ Salmon, without and sauce. I also grill some asparagus, and serve it with risotto. Very yummy.

I have also had good results making a sauce, composed of a mixture of whole grain mustard, Dijon, minced garlic, a touch of mayo, & a bit of salt.

thabadguy
11-07-2005, 04:30 PM
38dd's

miajag81
11-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Asparagus is the correct answer. Don't overcook.

jon_1van
11-07-2005, 04:46 PM
cous cous

BoogerFace
11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asparagus is the correct answer. Don't overcook.

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
another recommendation for asparagus. fingerling potatoes with a beurre blanc sauce is pretty awesome too (neither of those are actually difficult or fancy things).

jackdaniels
11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
A steak is the correct answer (so you wouldn't have to eat the salmon). Since you asked for a vegetable, I'll have to go with the wisdom of OOT and say Asparagus. Ofcourse, if this is a date thing, you may want to avoid veggies that make urine stink (http://bioteach.ubc.ca/quarterly/quarterly015/0105king.html)

toss
11-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks this sounds like something I can do. The rice should be easy since I'm asian.

The risotto and portebello mushrooms on the other hand...

JJNJustin
11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
asparagus and wild rice.

-J

bobbyi
11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm impressed how many people beat me to saying asparagus.

PokerFink
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Asparagus is used by my caterer as a side dish for all fish, as well as filet.

Edit to add: I work for a caterer (summer job), not actually use them. Hey, I'm 20.

Benal
11-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Asparagus is my fav veggie. I dont understand how many people think it's gross.

astroglide
11-07-2005, 10:48 PM
gf is watching iron chef america right now and the theme ingredient is wild salmon. asparagus and fingerling potatoes have already been used. i nailed it on the potatoes, huh?

mts
11-07-2005, 10:50 PM
ceaser salad

tonypaladino
11-07-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
asparagus.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the absolute correct way to cook asparagus.

Too many people try to steam it (gag).

Use lots and lots of garlic. Garlic and asparagus is a wonderful flavor combination.

11-07-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
asparagus and wild rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

add to that steamed baby carrots and you have the same meal I had this weekend...yum!

JordanIB
11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks this sounds like something I can do. The rice should be easy since I'm asian.

The risotto and portebello mushrooms on the other hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the risotto so much because the gf did that while I did the salmon and mushroom, but the portobello was as easy as the asparagus you responded too.

Chop up parsley and garlic, destem and mushroom and turn it upside down, top with garlic/parsley mixture, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, bake 20 minutes. Delicious.

Oh, and for the record, the salmon was simply soaked (marinated?) in a water/paprika/worcestershire sauce combo, coated with flour and pan-fried. Sauted some red onions to add a little flavor. Turned out delicious.

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gf is watching iron chef america right now and the theme ingredient is wild salmon. asparagus and fingerling potatoes have already been used. i nailed it on the potatoes, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

asparagus and fingerling potatoes are relatively standard sides out here for salmon. and pretty money, as salmon sides go. i probably give the edge to asparagus and mashed potatoes, though.

astroglide
11-07-2005, 11:13 PM
yeah but i'm from missouri. i've been to ohio once, chicago three times, vegas once, indianapolis once, and scottsdale twice. that is my sum travel experience, and almost all of those were mandated events, so i get a bonus for being so worldly without leaving the midwest. recognize.

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah but i'm from missouri. i've been to ohio once, chicago three times, vegas once, indianapolis once, and scottsdale twice. that is my sum travel experience, and almost all of those were mandated events, so i get a bonus for being so worldly without leaving the midwest. recognize.

[/ QUOTE ]

recognized.

11-07-2005, 11:48 PM
since we're getting to the season, mashed sweet potatoes.
or horseradish mashed potatoes.
spinach makes a nice side.

Shajen
11-08-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'd expected you had travelled more. You really should man. Put some of that knowledge to practice.

ChipWrecked
11-08-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, was that you who went into detail about the frozen custard shops? Thought that was STLantny, and he shouldn't have been banned for that thread alone. But if it was you, then [censored] him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(I kid, I kid... dunno what he did to get [censored])

astroglide
11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
yes, it was me with the frozen custard commentary

as far as travelling goes, i enjoy being in other places but i hate preparing and actually going to them.

a lot of this is limited by how many 'dependents' i have with my office, other side clients (dropping these all the time), cats, etc. i'm working on all of that so i can at least be more free in theory.