PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive List

schroedinger
06-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Without attempting to slight anyone (or overrate anyone), I am trying to compile a list of poker greats. Off the top of my head I come up with Doyle Brunson, Stu Ungar, Amarillio Slim, Bobby Baldwin, our hosts David and Mason, Johnny Chan, Phil Hellmuth (I know he has his enemies here but the record speaks), Phil Ivey, TJ Cloutier, Gus Hansen, Scotty Ngyuen, Jon Juanda, Lou Krieger, Daniel Negreyen, Huck Seed, Juan Carlos Mortenson, Mike Caro. I am sure that there are many others. Help me out here. Let's make this list as comprehensive as possible. Particularly with respect to the tournament greats. But ring gamers also.

My name is Jim Perkins and I am not one of the greats. I play in the LA area and occasionally make a road trip to Vegas.

FeliciaLee
06-19-2003, 02:50 AM
Johnny Moss.

He would be at the top of my list. Of course, I am not assuming that you listed them in order of greatness, but if I were to make a list like that, no one could top Moss.

DJA
06-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Although I am not a big fan of his Men Nguyen should probably be on the tournament list...

And a player I wouldn't bet against that may get over looked is Layne Flack.

Just My Thoughts,

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Howard Lederer

cferejohn
06-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Nick "The Greek" Dandalos (played in the famous 4 month heads up match at the Horseshoe with Johnny Moss in 1949).

Paul Darden

Jennifer Harman (mostly for ring games)

Annie Duke

Kathy Liebert

Humberto Brenes

Dewey Tomko

David "Devilfish" Ulliot

Men Nguyen

banditbdl
06-19-2003, 12:51 PM
What about Chris Ferguson?

Magician
06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Erik Seidel - despite the short shift he gets in Rounders

DJA
06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Chris F. has proven himself to be a world class player in hi lo split, but the only reason he was the world champion is because he was playing the unluckiest player in the world T.J.

Forgot to mention Chris F. is a class act... a humble world champ... you don't find too many of them.

Just My Thoughts,

sam h
06-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Players who have won the most high profile tournaments? Players who've won the most money playing poker? Players who are famous? Players who can play all types of poker well or just holdem?

Some suggested additions:

Chip Reese
Ted Forrest
Howard Lederer
Ray Zee
Jennifer Harman
Chris Ferguson

Prickly Pete
06-19-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm surprised Onlinechamp hasn't been mentioned. Oh, I guess he didn't see this thread yet. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif