PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a dog

captZEEbo1
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a dog. Look at how awesome these dogs are.
http://www.kateconnick.com/postcards/trekkergolden.jpg
http://www.modernpooch.com/archives/Golden_Retriever.jpg http://www.doublelightmusic.com/ZZMeta1.jpg

I'm only 21, single, no real permanent address. Should that be a problem?

Does it matter where you get them or can you just get one at the pound or something?

How hard is it to train dogs? I have virtually no experience training (but a lot of experience playing with dogs :-D, they're awesome).

Is there some standard good books about training?

bnorthro
11-07-2005, 04:10 PM
<------My bulldog masterbates.

lapoker17
11-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Good pictures.

Definitely get one from the pound. If you get a mix, just be careful as some breeds tend to have some socialization issues.

Grisgra
11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Do you live alone, or with roommates? Do you work fulltime away-from-home, or do you making a living playing The Game That Must Not Be Named?

I ask because it'd suck big-time for the dog to be locked up at home 8 hours a day, plus whatever time you spend away at night. And would probably lead to big-time behavioral problems. I love dogs (have one myself), but they aren't cats . . . they need attention, and aren't thrilled to be deserted for long, long periods of time on a regular basis.

JcTc
11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Dogs are awesome and are more fun to hang out with than most people. Make sure your landlord is cool with pets, some aren't, but I'm sure you already know this. If you are out all the time you will have to make sure the dog gets let out, especially when it is a pup.

IMO it doesn't matter where you get the dog because you are going love it regardless, and getting a dog from the pound and saving its life would probably make you feel good. Otherwise people are always giving away puppies or selling them for cheap. If you want a purebred, then you will be spending some money.

In my past experiences, training dogs has been easy, just make sure you have lots of treats around. It is also tons of fun and you feel great when they start to get it.

Good luck!

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Go to the SPCA, those dogs are on death row. Find the one that's about a year old or so and isn't barking hysterically.

Seriously a dog is the greatest thing in the world. If you're ever going to be around small kids or anything I highly reccomend a female, just because they tend to be a little mellower.

One concern if you have no permant address I would maybe hold off. Even if you have somewhere else to let the dog stay while you're moving around it's not fair to have to move your pet around whenever you please, dog's get comfy in an enviroment and it's not right to move them around all the time.

But seriously they're great, my brother is taking care of my dog right now (a collie coyote halfbreed) and I make a point of visiting her about once a month. They are seriously the most loyal creatures (and kind if raised right) that you'll ever encounter. I've dumped girlfriends over my dog with no regrets /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
21, single

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice re: being single, is to get a puppy in the spring so that he's still cute as hell during the summer when you can walk him in the park and pick up chicks. There's no greater chick magnet than a cute puppy.

crunchy1
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Research the Breed!!

If you're not an active person - don't get an active dog. You and your dog will be miserable. Go to the library or bookstore and find a good book on dog breeds. Something like this (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MA0DP1VCfN&isbn=0764157000& itm=1) will get you started on finding the right breed to match your personality. Then you can go to your local pound and see if they have one. Adopting a dog is GOOD! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Otherwise, if you're looking for a purebread dog, wwww.akc.com will have information on local breeders in your area.

FYI - Getting a dog from the pound = $100-200; Getting a purebread = $500-$1000+

Alobar
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
21, single

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice re: being single, is to get a puppy in the spring so that he's still cute as hell during the summer when you can walk him in the park and pick up chicks. There's no greater chick magnet than a cute puppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be the best piece of advice that comes out of this thread.

Be sure to spend some time and come up with a good name too.

turnipmonster
11-07-2005, 04:19 PM
dogs are awesome, the only thing I'd say is that some of my friends that got dogs around your age ended up doing stuff like moving to china/getting a job where they were on the road all the time/etc a few years later and in all 3 cases had to give the dog to a friend/family member. this was upsetting to both them and the dog.

just make sure you kind of have a very rough plan for the next 20 years that includes the dog, as in, maybe resolve not to move to china.

--turnipmonster

tolbiny
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
"Go to the SPCA, those dogs are on death row. Find the one that's about a year old or so and isn't barking hysterically."

Right on, if you find a dog that doesn't bark much surrounded by tons of other yappers then you will have a quiet dog, which def rules aver a barker.

benfranklin
11-07-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm only 21, single, no real permanent address. Should that be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dogs take a lot of time and effort. A dog requires regular walking, feeding, etc. You have to be at home regularly, or make arrangements for someone else to take care of it. Training is relatively easy, but time intensive, especially until house-broken.

I would never have a dog unless I had a yard I could turn him loose in. Walking a dog a couple times a day (and carrying a little sack for poop) is a hassle, and I don't think it's fair to the dog. Dogs need to run around and chase birds and such. A leash sucks.

Based on my own memories of being 21, I would never have wanted to commit that kind of time and effort to owning a dog.

captZEEbo1
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you live alone, or with roommates? Do you work fulltime away-from-home, or do you making a living playing The Game That Must Not Be Named?

I ask because it'd suck big-time for the dog to be locked up at home 8 hours a day, plus whatever time you spend away at night. And would probably lead to big-time behavioral problems. I love dogs (have one myself), but they aren't cats . . . they need attention, and aren't thrilled to be deserted for long, long periods of time on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]living with roomates...I play poker for a living and part-time go to school (5 credits) so I'd be around him a lot I think. Plus it'd be kinda fun because a lot of my friends love dogs too and there are no dogs to be found at college somehow.

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't get a purebreed, especially for a first dog. They may "look" better, but honestly they're alot of work, often have health problems and can really really cause you grief.

For example, I had a dalmation purebred that was given as a gift to me, that damn dog ended up going deaf, had bad hips,(basically about 10k in medical), and was the dumbest creature alive. Being raised on a farm I always thought I was of the mindset of shoot the dog when it's incapable of surviving, but you fall in love with these damn dogs and you're going to be with him to the end. So you kinda want something healthy and "easy" maintaince for lack of a better word.

So yea I reccomend a mutt.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
As for getting a dog, there's a lot to think about.

First, what do you want - a purebred dog or a mutt? What breed(s)? From a breeder or the pound? NEVER from a pet store.

There are pros and cons to everything. Purebred dogs from a breeder and parents you choose give you a chance to pick out pretty much whatever you want in your dog and you'll know pretty well what he'll be like when he grows up. Cons are that this may lead to a higher chance of genetic problems and purebred dogs can be much more expensive up front.

Getting a mutt from a pound or a dog from a rescue can be a very rewarding endeavor. You're potentially saving this dog's life and they can be every bit the pet that a purebred dog will be. Cons include not knowing exactly what the dog will end up being like - temperament, size, fur, whatever. Another potential problem with a rescue is that you have no idea what this dog has been through up until this point. For all you know, the previous owners could have beat the crap out of it and it'll react violently over small irritants or it won't ever go near a full-grown man.

What breed do you want? Do you want a big dog? A small dog? One that'll climb up on your lap and sit there all day, or one that wants to run at top speed for 9 hours out of the day? Long hair or short hair? Everything is an option with varying degrees of consequences for each choice.

captZEEbo1
11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, what do you want - a purebred dog or a mutt? What breed(s)? From a breeder or the pound? NEVER from a pet store.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if this are rhetorical but I think mutt seems best option based on other posters and your later comments. Why do you say never from a pet store?

11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
do not get a dog at a pet store. it is hard to know where they came from. pet store dogs are frequently inbred. my folks gad an inbred eppileptic beagle. getting a dog from the pound is a noble option, kinda like adopting a kid from the third world. put alot of thought into this though, as it will be with you for years. i'd do some research as to what kind of dog you want. my parents recently got a hungarian visla. (i think i misspelled visla) check those out. they're like 50 or so lbs and really cool. don't get a golden, they're cute puppies, but stupid.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Also, if you do go with a purebred dog, you have to be sure to do your homework on finding a good breeder. My wife and I looked for about 6 months for a good breeder with dogs that we wanted our puppy to be like and then another several months before we could take our puppy home. It was well worth it, though, as we've found what I really think is the perfect dog for us.

You need to check that they screen for common health problems within the breed and are responsible about which dogs they breed.

Prelude008
11-07-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Research the Breed!!

If you're not an active person - don't get an active dog. You and your dog will be miserable. Go to the library or bookstore and find a good book on dog breeds. Something like this (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=MA0DP1VCfN&isbn=0764157000& itm=1) will get you started on finding the right breed to match your personality. Then you can go to your local pound and see if they have one. Adopting a dog is GOOD! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Otherwise, if you're looking for a purebread dog, wwww.akc.com will have information on local breeders in your area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. First seriously consider how much time you have to be with the dog (home alot vs.away alot), will the dog be confined inside or have a yard, etc then consider the breed and their characteristics. Some dogs require tremendous amounts of attention, physical exercise, etc (Lab). See how these requirements fit into your lifestyle.

You could go the pound route or you can try some of the rescue organizations. Some are fanatical (i.e. will they will yell at you if you don't dedicate yourself to your dog 24/7.) However there are nice ones too which can help you find a dog that matches your lifestyle and wants (animalavengers.com), but they are highly selective about who they will let adopt because they look out for the dogs best interest, which could be good for both parties.

Good luck!

P.S. I think the middle puppy is cute!

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know if this are rhetorical but I think mutt seems best option based on other posters and your later comments. Why do you say never from a pet store?

[/ QUOTE ]
It all really really depends on your situation and what you're looking for. My wife and I decided to get a purebred boxer because they really fit exactly what we wanted in a dog. We know pretty much exactly what he'll be like both in physical size/looks and temperament when he's full grown and we're confident in his health because we went to a good breeder who had health records for generations back.

This isn't to say that a mutt is the wrong way to go - it really is a personal choice.

NEVER EVER buy a dog or a cat from a pet store. I'd presume the same applies to birds and whatever else as well. These dogs come from "puppy mills" where the soul focus is on pumping out as many puppies as possible as quickly as possible with no regard to their health or emotional well-being. These animals are also very susceptible to disease and injury from being on top of so many other animals all the time in close confines. There are no health records and you have no idea how these animals have been treated (very poorly). You may save some cash over going to a breeder, but I'd wager you'll spend the difference on vet fees with a sick dog. It really is a crapshoot and you probably have a better chance of losing than winning in this situation. For the sake of protecting yourself as well as not rewarding these practices, you should stay away.

Remember - the bottom line is that this is an animal that you're going to welcome as a family member into your home for the next 10-20 years. It's well worth the time and effort to put a little research into exactly what you want and into picking out the right dog for you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
The Dumb Friends League (http://www.ddfl.org/) is a great resource.

RunDownHouse
11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I got a puppy about 6 months ago. Its a shitload more work than I had imagined. I haven't slept past 6AM since, simply because she needs to piss in the mornings. When she was little, I had to worry about making sure she got out enough and wasn't getting bored, potty training, all of that. On top of that, she had a couple UTIs and some other stuff that meant that even though we got her for free from a shelter, she ended up costing hundreds.

It may be worth it; I haven't quite decided. My dog is great - rarely barks, is good for the most part, requires less constant attention as she gets older - but it really is a big responsibility. I never had a dog growing up, and now I can see my parents had the level of responsibility I could handle nailed right down.

Having roommates who can bail you out if you need a hand with the dog is great, but make sure that you could handle it all on your own if needs be.

11-07-2005, 04:49 PM
An awful lot of great advice! Please pay particular attention to the suggestions as to your life style/situation.

I've always thought there was a good reason GOD spelled backwards = DOG

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

swede123
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
It seems like you're into Golden Retrievers. Good choice! I don't have anything valuable to add that hasn't been added so far. Instead I'll just use this as an excuse to add a couple of pictures of my little guy, back when he was 11 weeks old.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/jonasola/126-2662_IMG.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/jonasola/puppypicsetc009.jpg

Swede

CrazyEyez
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I will assume you have at least considered a beedog.

tolbiny
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
One other + about a pound over a pet store- you can trust the people who waork at the pound a lot more. These people baseically have chosedn to spend their lives working with animals, while pet store employees don't tend to have the same commitment.
Talk to the guys at the pound, or spca where you are looking for a dog. Tell them how big your place is, if you want a quiet dog or not ect. Most of the time they will have a favorite of their own they will show you, Thisis how i got my dog 3 months ago. The guy running the pound had wanted to adopt her, but his current dog and her didn't get along.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah, and let's get more puppy pictures!

Bowser:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/IMG_0292_small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/IMG_0298_small.jpg

Old pictures you've already seen before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/img_01583.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/IMG_0329_small.jpg

diebitter
11-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif bowser!

That top pick is about the best boxer pic I ever saw!

CrazyEyez
11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
That's a nice lookin' dog, Patrick.

Meech
11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, I had a dalmation purebred that was given as a gift to me, that damn dog ended up going deaf, had bad hips,(basically about 10k in medical), and was the dumbest creature alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't discount purebred dogs just because of this.

Dalmations have a higher disposition to deafness, and -- well... They aren't too bright. Even the good ones.

My opinion:

Don't get a dumb dog. It makes the whole thing harder. I've owned probably a half-dozen dogs, and if they are smart -- it makes everything soooo much easier.

My all time fave was a purebred German Shepherd. Smart as a whip. Great dog. I will definately own another one.

I lived next to somebody who loves St Bernards. Those dogs are as stupid as they come.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like you're into Golden Retrievers. Good choice! I don't have anything valuable to add that hasn't been added so far. Instead I'll just use this as an excuse to add a couple of pictures of my little guy, back when he was 11 weeks old.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
Bowser likes yellow labs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/IMG_0155_small_cropped.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/IMG_0198_small.jpg

bnorthro
11-07-2005, 05:15 PM
One tip for the OP (and anyone else thinking of getting a dog) - Look into pet insurance. I pay like $40 a month for my bulldog (it's less for other breeds), and if I'd gotten it from the beginning, I would have saved a TON of money on surgeries and shots. And since we're sharing pictures, here's one of Ace causing trouble when he was like 3 or 4 months old...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/Brandin2235/Magazines.jpg

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
That first pic is awesome. Gorgeous dog.

pokerdirty
11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
i always pictured you as a cat person swede.

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
A thought actually. Consider calling up your pound or SPCA and see if they want someone to volunteer for a couple hours. Maybe put in a few hours around them. I spent a few 100 hours in a pound (it was a community service option) before I bought my first dog as an adult and it was good gave me a little perspective. This can't be an impulse it's a huge investment.

As for the pet insurance, who do you go through if you don't mind me asking?

RustedCorpse
11-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh yea, no puppy pic's these are from when Penny was about 4 months old, nowhere near the boxer photo quality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/RustedCorpse/DSC00090.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/RustedCorpse/DSC00182.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/RustedCorpse/DSC00072.jpg

bnorthro
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As for the pet insurance, who do you go through if you don't mind me asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

PetCare insurance. http://www.petcareinsurance.com/
They don't insure against existing problems, but if you sign up right when you get your puppy, I think you're pretty much fully covered. A must if you get a high maintenance dog like a bulldog, or any of the breeds that are predisposed to certain health problems (like Cherry eye, bloat, etc).

Also, if you get a purebreed, you can save a few hundred by not getting the certificate - which you don't need unless you plan on showing them.

Lastly - for some sweet puppies, check out www.puppyfind.com (http://www.puppyfind.com) and you can research the breeds a little there too.

SomethingClever
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Cute dog! How much does he weigh? And how old is he?

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cute dog! How much does he weigh? And how old is he?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Right now, he's just shy of 7 months old and about 50 pounds. In the first couple pictures in this thread, he's about 6 months old and probably 44 pounds. His dad is a solid 85 pounds and his mom is about 65, so we're expecting him to be about 75-80 pounds when he's fully grown. He shot right up to about 40 pounds and then kind of stalled out, taking a couple months to get to 50. Now, he's not really putting on weight, but he's growing taller and wider.

In the second two pictures, he's about 3 months old and maybe 25 pounds.

Here's dad at a dog show. He's the only thing holding still in the first picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/P2190018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/WalestailsRustyKai1.jpg

swede123
11-07-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always pictured you as a cat person swede.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am both I guess. We have a dog and a cat, and two rabbits. Then there is limecat...

Hey Patrick, do you ever take Bowser out to Chatfield or Cherry Creek or another of the (dog) state parks?

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hey Patrick, do you ever take Bowser out to Chatfield or Cherry Creek or another of the (dog) state parks?

[/ QUOTE ]
We've been to Chatfield, but not Cherry Creek or any others yet.

mostsmooth
11-07-2005, 09:26 PM
get a bulldog

phil_ivey_fan
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
spend the dough and get a pure pup.

Sponger15SB
11-07-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spend the dough and get a pure pup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Likely (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=3261552&S earchpage=1&Main=3261552&Words=mattress+captZEEbo& topic=&Search=true#Post3261552)

mmbt0ne
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Pumpkin's the one in the back. There were 13 in the litter, and we have some pictures of all of them together on another computer. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

http://www.f2f2s.com/images/pumpkin.jpg

LockForward
11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Dogs are a huge commitment, especially puppies. If you get an 8 week old puppy, you'll need to be able to let it out every 2 to 4 hours. Also consider all the costs involved when buying a dog. Necessary shots, medical check-ups, dog food, toys, leashes, crate, training, etc. Dogs aren't cheap.

What I'd reccomend when looking for a dog is a high level of compliancy. Give me a dumb, compliant dog anyday. A female golden retriever typically is about as compliant as they come.

Good dog training is diffucult, don't bother trying to train a dog out of a book with no experience. Find a reputable dog trainer in your area (no petsmart or petco trainers). Make sure the trainer activly competes in obedience. Also make sure you have seen the trainer's dog perform. Check them out and check references. Send the dog for training or schedule private lessons with the trainer before doing group classes. Make sure you begin getting the dog trained as soon as you get it, especially with a puppy.

11-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Cuz we all /images/graemlins/heart.gif luv/images/graemlins/heart.gif da puppy dawgs...

DOG & CREATION

On the first day of creation, God created the dog.

On the second day, God created man to serve the dog.

On the third day, God created all the animals of the earth
(especially the horse) to serve as potential food for the dog.

On the fourth day, God created honest toil so that man
could labor for the good of the dog.

On the fifth day, God created the tennis ball so that the dog
might or might not retrieve it.

On the sixth day, God created veterinary science to keep
the dog healthy and the man broke.

On the seventh day, God tried to rest, but He had to walk the dog.

Unknown

Rare is the dog I’ve met that I couldn’t love, and rare, too,
is the woman I’ve met that I couldn’t become interested in.

Unknown

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hamish McBagpipe
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
#1 choice, pound dog

#2 choice, one of these new fangled Puggles. Pug/Beagle mix.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/7103/39zg.gifhttp://img387.imageshack.us/img387/6532/13ri.gif
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8338/puggle20gusstand6eh.jpg

11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Didn't read much of the replies, but having had a dog all my life, I can tell you it will make some heavy changes in your life. Good ones, but tough ones.

Bringing a dog into your home, especially a puppy, is like having a baby. Puppies need a lot of attention. Just make sure you can give it. Training also takes a lot of work, but some dogs are smarter than others.

P.S. Very cute pictures. My golden used to look like that, only a little darker.

LockForward
11-08-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

#2 choice, one of these new fangled Puggles. Pug/Beagle mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't buy a pug/beagle or any other dog that was mixed for the sole purpose of the breeder to cash in on a fad. There are plenty of mixed breeds to be rescued.