PDA

View Full Version : Not going so well....

11-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Recently, I've been playing alot of the $100 NL tables and I feel I was doing pretty well at them over the last month and a half or so. I have won $1000 already which I have already cashed out and started working on a new buy in account, started at $160 and built it to 1050 in a week. My problem here is now that after winning almost 900 this past week, I've really enjoyed watching the high limit tables, so I figured I'd give it a try. The first night I started playing at 1/2 limit and I was doing pretty well for the time being. The next day I did a little 2/4 and in the first 20 or 30 minutes I had won just as much as I could in about an hour or 2 on the NL tables. But ever since then, I've hit a totally dry spell and it just seems that everytime I got a big pair and I'm raising it up, NO ONE sesms to fold and I end up getting suckedout to a 2 pair on the river or something.
I really want to continue playing limit but of the 1050 I had on my account, I'm now down to about $500 of what I haven't cashed out before (I still do have a $1000 check in the mail which I don't plan on using). Can someone please give me suggestions of how to make good use of my last $500 playing limit (if possible). I still enjoy playing No limit cash games, but I want to prove to myself that I can win playing limit, can someone please offer me some tips as to what to watch out for or some beginner rules that I should try to abide by playing with a few hundred?

Any help is appreciated,
The Bomber

11-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Welcome!

Read the sticky at the top of this forum.

Buy a copy of Small Stakes Hold'em.

You'll learn that you don't want those people to fold, and that "sucking out" at limit is frequently profitable (therefore you have to do it too, when the conditions are right).

EDIT: re: bankroll - your roll is currently more suited to playing .5/1, so I'd suggest doing that until you get to $600 or so.

It helps to take advantage of online bonuses too. Read Wookie's bankroll building article (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=micro&Number=3740788&fpar t=&PHPSESSID=) for more information.

hemstock
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
This forum is for limit, not for no-limit.
You are playing way above your bankroll. I'm not sure how nl works, but I think you need at least 10 buy ins at the level you are playing. If 2/4 has a 400 buy in then you propably need 4k$ to be sure variance won't send you broke. You were running hot and propably you are not playing good poker. Move down limits immediently and start learning how to play winning poker if you wanna last.

BoogerFace
11-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I assume you have a copy of SSHE. $500 is a stellar bankroll for .50/1 limit.

Limit is harder. You can't just bet the pot with TPTK and expect everyone to fold. You'll need new skills and you'll probably have to pay some 'tuition' at the tables.

11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I know its a bad way to play, but I've had a couple of instances where a person has sucked out on me mutliple times already and later at the tables I find myself calling their bets to try and suck them out, even if I feel that they may have me beat.

Also, I don't usually enjoy reading limit books, although I've read one by some fat dude who I can't remember his name... Ken Warren maybe?

I just felt that someone reading these forums has probably had quite a bit of success already and could just give a shout out to me in a few sentences of what I should try to look out for and teach me good bankroll management..

My AIM name is BBOY73, anyone feel free to message me if you have more insights on this. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I'll see how it goes the next few days playing these new lower limits, I'll try to remind myself to report back with future results and let you know if I was able to win back what I have already previously lost playing 2/4 and 3/6 with only 1000 roll /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Wish me luck, and continued success to you all.

numeri
11-07-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know its a bad way to play, but I've had a couple of instances where a person has sucked out on me mutliple times already and later at the tables I find myself calling their bets to try and suck them out, even if I feel that they may have me beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry dude, but this is horrible.

Poker is a long-term venture, especially limit. You need to take some time to study and learn more.

If you're just looking for BR management, we usually say 300 big bets for a certain level. Since you're playing with $500, you're fine for 0.5/1. You're a bit underrolled for 1/2, but it's even worse because you don't have the skills yet. Don't be in a rush to move up.

Good luck.

MrWookie47
11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
If someone here who has had quite a bit of success could easily spell it out for you in a single post, LHE would no longer be a profitable game. LHE (and NLHE) are extremely difficult games with an unbelievable number of intricacies. If you're looking for an instant panacea, you've come to the wrong place. If you're looking for coddling after dropping some money, you've come to the wrong place. If you're looking to work hard to learn how to play some kick ass poker, this is your forum. If you've read Small Stakes Hold'em already, then I would encourage you to try this challenge for a month. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=micro&Number=3464230) If you haven't read it yet, then that should be job 1. Once you've finished it, THEN try out that challenge for a month to see how well you've learned the content of that book.