PDA

View Full Version : sticky note on my monitor

11-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Fold AQs to a raise preflop
If the first bullet gets called, don't fire a asecond without a read
Don't call of your stack with TPTK
Do fire a CB if one overcard to your pocket pair flops with a small field. Do not fire into two overs.
Do not slowplay unless villain is a maniac
If you know you've been rivered take a deep breath and press Fold
When you flop a weak ace from blind bet the flop, then check/fold every other street without a read

Anything that I am missing? I play theoretically much, much better than I play in practice, hopefully this will help a little

11-07-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to cold call AQ, unless you're talking about no limit.

11-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Yes, small stakes NL.

Where'd the edit button go?

illunious
11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I think if you're relying on rules like this you should consider switching to FL. There's situations where any of these would be wrong.

11-07-2005, 06:26 PM
FL?

illunious
11-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Fixed Limit.

Rules like "Fold AQs to a raise preflop" are not going to get you anywhere in NL (and while a rule this simple won't really work in FL either, FL leaks are far less costly).

In NL, you need to recognize the -huge- difference in the value of AQs when the UTG rock opens for 8x the BB or the SB maniac minraises your BB.

bholdr
11-07-2005, 10:21 PM
here's some that SHOULD be posted on my computer:

-remember to check for looser tables now and then
-remember the implied odds that you're giving people, not just the ones you're getting
-reload that stack!
-if you have bad position relitive to another solid player, it's probably best just to find another table
-stick with the fish, even if they're sucking out, get out if you're not better than your opposition, even if you've been winning... long term, long term...
-go to bathroom BEFORE you sit down this time, dummy.
-it's only a value bet if they'll call with a worse hand

and, most importantly,

-fer god's sake, man, stop playing after coming back from the bar.

11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-remember the implied odds that you're giving people, not just the ones you're getting

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you please explain this one a bit more?

ajv
11-08-2005, 06:26 AM
don't call = dont't be passive

bholdr
11-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Implied odds, briefly:

when considering a call, raise, or fold in NL poker, sometimes the immediate pot odds are not the most important factor. because one can win another player's whole stack, it's sometimes justifiable to call a strong raise, in the hopes that doing so will lead to taking big pot when you make a big hand.

for example, if a tight player raised 4BB preflop, he probably has a good hand... like aces... it might make sense to call with a ahnd that, though weaker, has potential for making a big hand and breaking that tight player.

so sometimes, one should call raises with hands like 6h7h, because you're getting good implied odds: it's the money one COULD stand to win if things line up right.

my point was that one should be aware that one offers too good implied odds to opponents, they could stand to lose a lot and, for example, get their aces cracked often. this has to be balanced by many other factors, of course.

hope that helped.

11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Thank you for a good example, it helps to understand the concept of implied odds, when you're the one getting these odds. But could you please give an example of how giving the implied odds changes your play, when your opponents are the ones relying on the implied odds for their play?

JunkHead
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Two pair is never the nuts.

I got all the guys at my home game saying this. It's like a mantra...

JunkHead

AKQJ10
11-08-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But could you please give an example of how giving the implied odds changes your play, when your opponents are the ones relying on the implied odds for their play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose that you're playing a short stack of about 30 big blinds and you pick up aces in middle position. You may be tempted to smooth call to keep players in the pot, but in passive small-stakes games my understanding is this motive is usually a mistake. (Anyone disagree?) If I limp with 33 and a bigger stack, and you limp behind me with AA, I'm getting great implied odds to hit my set. If I don't hit a trey, I get out, but if I do hit one, you're likely to pay me off for 30 big bets.

So, you should raise preflop enough to make it incorrect for me to call with my dominated hand, although ideally you'd like me to call incorrectly. The math depends on a lot of variables -- how likely you are to pay me off, how likely i am to call with 33 on an 822 board, etc. -- but in short, by making me pay 3-4 BB for my draw, i don't have the odds even if i hit it (something like 7.5:1 to 10:1).

Therefore it's as important for you (in this example) not to offer me implied odds, just as much as it's important for me to take advantage if you offer them.

Wake up CALL
11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything that I am missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you should post your login name and passwords to all your poker sites on your monitor. It is possible that Jesus Ferguson is hiding in your fridge and will hop out every now and then, play on your accounts and increase your net worth.

FromTheSouth
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
This is a joke? That's why I don't understand "Married with Children".