PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars deep stack tourny

Toro
11-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Anybody try this yet? I played it yesterday for the first time. I would recommend it for someone looking to gain tourney experience. They start you at 5000 chips. You get tons of play before the blinds become a problem in this tourney.

But on the minus side, it's a big time commitment. Over 1400 entries so it goes on forever. I busted out 15th with over 10 hours invested and only got $114.

pipes
11-07-2005, 02:24 PM
I really enjoy the $100+9 tourney on Saturdays.

Its great to play deep stack. It is a time commitment, but I like the opportunity to play 'poker'.

I'd like them to have some more higher buyins.

11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I played one 2 saturdays ago (10+1) and was suprised how fishy it was. Seems more chips means that they can chase worse odds since they'll have chips left. Saw alot of gutshots being chased (and some gotten) and saw people calling down hands with ace high.

I only got to the beginning of the third hour in that one, bad beat followed by losing 2 coinflips KOed me. I'll likely enter another one sometime, although I can really only enter the saturday one cuz of my schedule. I really like the structure though, real nice.

11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
If I somehow find that I have absolutely nothing to do tommorow afternoon, I plan on playing the 22plo deep stack.

Should be interesting.

Ben5505
11-07-2005, 03:38 PM
About how long do these deep stack tourneys take?

valenzuela
11-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I played one for 30 bux, I hated it way toooo slow.
I think that deep stack are fine for bigger buy-ins but not for 20 dollars.

11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Took 6-7 hours to get ITM on a ~1100 player tourney last week. Some have posted that the whole thing can take over 14 hours.

hotcookie42
11-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Played yesterday in 10+1 (same one you were in I think) and finished 4th. Took about 12 hours. I enjoyed every minute - I was watching football all day anyway, and this was the perfect accompaniment. Tons of play for the money, opponents running absurd bluffs and handing me their chips -I recommend these to anyone who wants to play real poker instead of shoving all in after an hour because the blinds are so big. I will definitely try this again!

Toro
11-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I saw you at the final table for a while that I watched. Shame I wasn't there with you. Went out a little ugly. Everyone folded to me in the SB and I completed with 7To. I know, why get involved with trash, but I did. Both of us have deep stacks, about 500K each but he has me covered.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I bet out about half the pot and he calls. I go "uh oh" and am ready to surrender the hand until the turn comes with the 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

So I lead out for 30K and he raises to 130K and I push all-in. He turns up 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'm sick the second I see it because we're tied because of the king and queen on board and he's freerolling me. /images/graemlins/spade.gif hit river and I'm busted.

But I ran so good all tourney I really couldn't complain.

CIncyHR
11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I played in that same one Sat, finished 40th. It was fun, but it took too long. Dont think Ill play anymore for buy ins that low.

hotcookie42
11-07-2005, 04:46 PM
You definitely have to be prepared to hang in for the long haul. I think that since the tournament gives so much play, it might be reasonable to buy in to one of the more expensive ones (if you consider that you get as much play in one 30+3 deep stack that you would get in two or three 10+1). I usually don't play 30's but the extra chips and the loose play makes them affordable even for a bankroll that doesn't normally support them.

Of course now after my 4th place finish, I can afford them anyway /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yvesaint
11-07-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw you at the final table for a while that I watched. Shame I wasn't there with you. Went out a little ugly. Everyone folded to me in the SB and I completed with 7To. I know, why get involved with trash, but I did. Both of us have deep stacks, about 500K each but he has me covered.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I bet out about half the pot and he calls. I go "uh oh" and am ready to surrender the hand until the turn comes with the 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

So I lead out for 30K and he raises to 130K and I push all-in. He turns up 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I'm sick the second I see it because we're tied because of the king and queen on board and he's freerolling me. /images/graemlins/spade.gif hit river and I'm busted.

[/ QUOTE ]

you still had 3 outs to win at least

Toro
11-07-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you still had 3 outs to win at least

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, I did, but my brain didn't process my "win" outs only the "lose" outs. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

grandgnu
11-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Ouch, yeah, you're about 40% on that turn to win, but how can you know your opponent has the other 7 AND the spade draw as well? Tough hand, but congrats on making it so far.

I might consider playing the $100 deep-stack sometime, instead of driving down to Foxwoods to gambool in the Friday morning tourney.

ZeroPointMachine
11-08-2005, 03:36 PM
I registered for the limit Omaha8 deep stack by mistake last week. What a nightmare!!! First three hours were completely meaningless. Deep stacks + long levels + limit betting + split pots = agony. Made a little money, but I would have rather taken a beating.

11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Anyone else in this?

Sat out the first ~45 minutes due to dinner with the girl.

5240 @ 21

11-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Dear Exitonly4,

please quit swinging your huge stack and raising my semi bluffs.

thanks.

=)

Exitonly
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
haha, will do.

GL.