PDA

View Full Version : Board texture and continuation betting HU (and 3 handed): theoretical

paco
11-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I was just wondering if some can share their insights into flop continuation betting related to board texture, in position, after either raising a limper or only getting a call out of the blinds (wide range of hands) and after reraising a raiser pf (tighter range).

Its been my default to bet nearly 100% of the time for both scenarios, but I'm trying to get more finesse here. The way I was figuring, keeping the initiative HU was more important than board texture considerations. Yes, a mid-high coordinated board like 8TJ two tone is likely to have hit a limper, but if it didn't I'll likely pick up the pot or buy myself a free card if I want it. Same for something like reraising an UTG raiser with AQs, flop comes KJ8 and he checks. Like I said I usually bet, but should this be a check behind (make him think monster maybe) and try to spike a pair or the gutshot?

I'm looking for some general principles regarding board textures and opponent types, is this mostly a feel thing? Is mixing it up more important? Do such maxims exist?

wackjob
11-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Most definately a "feel" thing for me and very dependant upon my opponent. I have found checking bland flops and betting or raising any turn card works very well against a standard LAGish, thinking opponent.