PDA

View Full Version : Find a car stereo for me.

Miggo
11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Everyone that posts here knows more about this than I do. Bought a car, need a stereo for it instead of the one that's there. Only requirements is a CD/MP3 CD player, and to keep the price around $150 or less. Ease of use is a plus. Wife's car, so if it were easy for me to switch the stations without needing an engineering degree, would be another plus. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

swede123
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Personally I like Alpine. How about this (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0xZ0ZKd8igV/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=500CDE9843) model?

Crutchfield has it for $150, and you can probably find it even cheaper somewhere else.

Swede

FouTight
11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Do you plan on doing the install yourself?

Crutchfield is basically the way to go as far as self installation, if you buy anything over $220 I think you get free harnesses and brackets.

Either way, you won't get everything you need for $150 because of the cost of the installation materals.

As far as ease of use, the only thing to do is go to a good local stereo store and try out a few units and find what you like and what is easiest to work with.

Miggo
11-07-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you plan on doing the install yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 15 years ago I did it myself, and it wasn't too bad. Had to get a wiring harness, and the stereo came with a bunch of different mounting things. I said $150 because I don't think I'd want to do it myself, and allowed $100 for someone else to get any extras (wiring harness, etc.) and install it. So $250 total with anything extra I'd need if it's easy enough for me to do. Maybe that's being too conservative.

FouTight
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
what kind of car is it?

Miggo
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what kind of car is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE

FouTight
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Should be pretty easy, GM keeps their stuff pretty standard.

I would definately just purchase a unit from crutchfield and get the kit that they recommend and do it yourself, should take no more then an hour to do the install.