PDA

View Full Version : WPTE to announce earnings

rwanger
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
If you were a betting man, would this be a good time to short WPTE? They are announcing earnings tuesday night...

From what I've read, WPT isn't a great investment. However, they did just redo their website, and since the majority of their revenue comes from the Travel Channel, is this UK TV deal enough to affect their earnings? Or will that deal not even be reflected in their earnings report?

DesertCat
11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were a betting man, would this be a good time to short WPTE? They are announcing earnings tuesday night...

From what I've read, WPT isn't a great investment. However, they did just redo their website, and since the majority of their revenue comes from the Travel Channel, is this UK TV deal enough to affect their earnings? Or will that deal not even be reflected in their earnings report?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never a good idea to short a company who's stock price is divorced from it's underlying economic value. What if Doyle announces another "bid" for the company? What if they actually win their lawsuit with the Travel channel?

I have my doubts whether they'll ever be consistently profitable, but there are many moving parts that could create a real business or just temporarily excite their shareholder base, causing short sellers much pain.

rwanger
11-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Good point. But what about just for a very short period of time...like just the 24 hours after they announce earnings?

DesertCat
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good point. But what about just for a very short period of time...like just the 24 hours after they announce earnings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't believe in short selling, risk is way higher than reward in my opinion. I'm sure others on this board can provide you with contrary advice.

Sniper
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I agree with Cat, that the risk/reward just isn't there in the case of WPTE, at this time, to make placing a bet on the reaction to their earnings release worthwhile!