PDA

View Full Version : Pinched nerve

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 07:49 AM
My advice? Don't get one.

I fell asleep reading a book Wed night with one shoulder propped halfway on a pillow. Woke up at 5:30am with pain shooting from my shoulder blade through my arm.

Symptoms include numbness, "pins and needles" or burning sensations, and pain radiating outward from the injured area. - THAT'S ALL ME!!!!

info (http://www.ehow.com/how_6661_treat-pinched-nerve.html)

more info (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/pinchednerve/pinchednerve.htm)

diebitter
11-07-2005, 07:56 AM
so a pinched nerve, huh?
That sucks, you need to fix it.
osteopathy?

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I have had this happen in the past (but not quite as severe, and not sure that I've had numbness before, mainly just pain) and have fixed it by stretching, massage, and working out to realign everything. Going to try that route for a couple more days.

Slow Play Ray
11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Ah man, I feel for you - during grad school I had a slipped disc in my back that pinched my sciatic nerve. My back was in constant severe pain, and my left leg was completely numb, for almost a month. I could barely put my pants on by myself. NOT FUN.

On the plus side, I now have a ridiculously strong lower back from all the exercises I do to prevent it from happening again.

Diplomat
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Could be worse, I pinched a nerve/strained a muscle in my lower back while doing squats last spring. I spent 6 days flat on my back in bed doped up on 10 T3's a day.

-Diplomat

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my left leg was completely numb

[/ QUOTE ]

The numbness is really such a freaky feeling.

Slow Play Ray
11-07-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is actually how it started for me before any of the pain kicked in. I would spend hours on the couch rubbing my bare foot on the carpet, constantly amazed by the odd sensation it created.

LALDAAS
11-07-2005, 10:20 AM
I have worked for UPS for the past 10 years.

I lift heavy package every day hundereds of them. Never had a problem, ever.

One morning I bent over to get a T-shirt out of my dresser draw.
WHAAAMMO! Felt like someone hit me in the back with an axe.

I couldnt even stand up.

Went to the doctor was out of work for a week.

Every so often I still get numbness in my left ass cheek and down my leg. Totally sucks.

Shows ya how fragile we really are.

Paluka
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
When I messed up my sciatic nerve, my entire body was tingly and felt asleep from my nipples to my thighs. Chiropracter fixed me up good.

Slow Play Ray
11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Stretches + back extensions = no sciatica relapse.

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, I have been doing that for the last two hours.

Slow Play Ray
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good, but I don't think back extensions are going to help your shoulder...

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good, but I don't think back extensions are going to help your shoulder...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoulder blade.

coltrane
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I highly recommend a jacuzzi

astroglide
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
http://infinitecoolness.com/galleries/commando/tn_commando30_jpg.jpg

you're getting old, john. you're getting old!

theweatherman
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
I pinced a nerve in my arm while working as a labourer this summer. It was terrible. Every morning it would be a dull ache, by 10:00 it was a sharp pain, and by 1:00 my arm had no strenght at all. Lasted for three weeks whilei was working, then another two after I quit.

My advice: dont get a job landscaping.

CD56
11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful about stretching/extending because you are also compressing something in the process and if you compress the spot where your nerve is pinched it will hurt much worse than it does now.

Slow Play Ray
11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful about stretching/extending because you are also compressing something in the process and if you compress the spot where your nerve is pinched it will hurt much worse than it does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are all doctor-recommended, but thanks!

CD56
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so a pinched nerve, huh?
osteopathy?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 80% of pinched nerves will go away without intervention.

Spladle Master
11-07-2005, 07:14 PM
My senior year in high school I pinched my sciatic nerve the night before a two-day wrestling tournament that my team was supposed to win by a slim margin. I visited the doctor and was prescribed a healthy dose of anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers. Stoned out of my mind, I won my first five matches and placed second. The points I won were greater than the team's margin of victory.

sup bro?

diebitter
11-07-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so a pinched nerve, huh?
osteopathy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone actually notice it was haiku /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm just tooo smooth sometimes.

Ulysses
11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so a pinched nerve, huh?
osteopathy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, that was nice.

Ray Zee
11-08-2005, 02:56 AM
the cause-- reading dull books

the cure== do nothing about it

the reason== sycosymatic as you think that may get you out of buying the sucker and me dinner soon. wrong.

another possibility== too much bacon

ill have the sucker send you a get well card by carrier pigeon.

Exitonly
11-08-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, whenever my foot falls asleep, from me sitting on it wierd or whatever, i LOVE trying to walk on it.

It's crazy trying to walk on a foot that you can't feel.

Voltron87
11-08-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, whenever my foot falls asleep, from me sitting on it wierd or whatever, i LOVE trying to walk on it.

It's crazy trying to walk on a foot that you can't feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you like that you are going to love The Stranger... Yeah!

diebitter
11-08-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so a pinched nerve, huh?
osteopathy?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, that was nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So can I claim second in line, your maj? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

any better, BTW?

11-08-2005, 03:18 AM
sry for the mini hijack, but I wanna know whats wrong with me here:

I have this thing, that constantly flares up, in the top of that teardrop shaped muscle that flexes when your calf releases.

With no warning, if Im in a squatting position, with my thighs past parallel, and on the ball of my right foot, I get this shooting pain, followed by heat from my knee to my toes, and a pins and needles feeling. It just remains sore after I change my leg's position, and all that day, and night, my foot feels painful... kinda sore, with dull pain.

Since this keeps happening, probably 10-20 times a year, Im not sure what it is... pinched nerve?

Blarg
11-08-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah man, I feel for you - during grad school I had a slipped disc in my back that pinched my sciatic nerve. My back was in constant severe pain, and my left leg was completely numb, for almost a month. I could barely put my pants on by myself. NOT FUN.

On the plus side, I now have a ridiculously strong lower back from all the exercises I do to prevent it from happening again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had plenty of back problems, and that's one reason I really like doing deadlifts -- incredibly good preventative medicine. My lower back is vastly stronger now.

Shajen
11-08-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have this thing, that constantly flares up, in the top of that teardrop shaped muscle that flexes when your calf releases.

With no warning, if Im in a squatting position, with my thighs past parallel, and on the ball of my right foot, I get this shooting pain, followed by heat from my knee to my toes, and a pins and needles feeling. It just remains sore after I change my leg's position, and all that day, and night, my foot feels painful... kinda sore, with dull pain.

Since this keeps happening, probably 10-20 times a year, Im not sure what it is... pinched nerve?

[/ QUOTE ]

If only there were people who were trained to diagnose issues like this. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Slow Play Ray
11-08-2005, 09:21 AM
See, deadlifts scare the hell out of me. I feel like that will cause a relapse...they just seems so...violent. Am I wrong?

11-08-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See, deadlifts scare the hell out of me. I feel like that will cause a relapse...they just seems so...violent. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take up Caber-tossing. UHA!

B Dids
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I still have an odd numb spot in my foot from a sciatic thing like last month.

Nerves are basically lame.

Ulysses
11-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Lots of stretching and back exercises the last few days. Getting much better. Slight dull pain from time to time and a little tingling, but the major sharp pain and numbness seems to be gone. It was pretty sweet a couple days ago how I could have my hand be numb, then stretch myself over the ottoman and have it not be numb.

The last six months of travel between NYC and SF have been hell on my workout schedule. That is largely to blame for this kind of crap. I think what actually happened this time was it was getting better on Friday, then sitting on a plane for seven hours screwed it up a lot. Time to hit the gym w/ some seriousness now that I'm back in SF pretty much full time.

Turkish
11-08-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://infinitecoolness.com/galleries/commando/tn_commando30_jpg.jpg

you're getting old, john. you're getting old!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome

thabadguy
11-09-2005, 01:54 AM
I hurt my back real bad deadlifting, which sucked...but i was prescribed OC, good stuff.

w_alloy
11-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Skiing early last year half of the outside of my left foot went numb, completely out of the blue. I thought it would go away but it didnt. My brother used my boots a few weeks later and the same thing happened to him. He went to a doctor and they said it was just superficial, it would clear up in a few months. I ditched the boots, and my brother recovered in a few months.

Almost a year later, a third of my foot is still numb (im not sure if it has gotten better or I remember the initial problem wrong). It is just the skin, so it doesnt affect anything. I havent gone to a doctor because it really doesnt bother me.

11-09-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If only there were people who were trained to diagnose issues like this. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. too bad Im a poor ass mofo trying to string money together to pay off loans and get ready for a new school next semester.

oh and to the guy whose foot is numb, when I was in basic training, our boots did this to us alot, and though most of us got over it, a couple of my buddies say they still have no feeling in one part of the foot.