PDA

View Full Version : Pure math poker - is it possible?

sublyme
11-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I've been thinking about something lately, and I know this sounds like a long stretch, but could there possibly be a mathematical theorem one could devise to where each card is assigned a numerical value and then, based on what the flop adds up to and can be divided/multiplied/added/subtracted into via your hole cards, one could play mathematically sound poker?

example - All cards have values 2-14 (deuce 2, jack 11, queen 12, king 13, ace 14). Flop comes J24, adding up to 17. You hold J8, adding up to 19. Since your value is over the flop's value, you bet. What if you had A4? Then you have 18 and your value is over the flops value, and you have a pair. But of course, the problem comes into play in that if you have AK your value of 27 is obviously over the flops value, but you don't have a pair and only have a backdoor draw. So obviously there is a gap involved where a certain amount over the flops value constitutes a bet or call and a large overvalue may be a check/fold.

I know, this is a very bizarre idea and from the example I posted it clearly does not work as there's a million holes, but there has to be some kind of mathematical relation one could figure out which would allow for perfect poker. Has anyone heard of such a concept, outside of sklansky's system?

You say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one ;p

edit - I just remembered Sklansky's WPT All-in poker uses a similar system to determine whether the dealer calls an all-in or not, but that's based on preflop and no flop is involved.

11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, check out the university of alberta's games group.