PDA

View Full Version : still trying to understand nuances of game

badbill7
11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
dont have any good reads on table here. pretty sure that made mistake by not raising flop but didnt want to build pot. Thought this was a good spot for a turn raise if no scare card. Was it a mistake not to raise turn. What do you do on the turn. and what do you think range of hands for sb

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Raise flop.

Don't have enough info to know if SB will bet out a semi-bluff with a 9. They are crazy at 1/2.

It's really hard to lay down those Aces. I don't know what to do on turn and river.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I'd of raised the flop.
I then probably would of called the turn after sb fired into the pot and utg called again. If this wasn't the way the action went then I would need stats to come to any meaningful decision.

As the way it went I'm not sure about calling the turn, but if you're going to call the turn then call the river if ti blanks.

Borno
11-06-2005, 10:41 PM
uninteresting hand imo..

raising the turn is better I think.. it protects against some 2 pair hand... if you get 3 bet its an easy fold... unlikely you'll get 3 bet bluffed in this situation. Charges the flush draw an extra bet. Fold a hand like KJ that will own you if a T hits etc. You can usually take a free showdown or call 1 bet on the river.

I don't think this hand is too hard to play.

badbill7
11-06-2005, 11:02 PM
not necessarily posting most interesting hands just sifting through play and finding some very questionable plays on my part and posting them

11-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I think you played this hand perfectly. I would have raised the flop, but I would have been wrong to do so.

crazygoose
11-06-2005, 11:10 PM
A terrible call on the flop. Charge everyone for the draw. Given you didn't and the OESD hit I would just call down here. Won't expect to win because most players at this level are only betting that river with a 9 three way. I could be wrong.

11-07-2005, 06:08 AM
I would have raised the turn. You are calling the turn bet, with overpair and 3 outs to the nuts. You will not fold the aces getting 13 to 1 on river. So before you initially called the turn you already knew you were going to invest 2BBs to see the showdown, Raise and put your 2BB in now. You have a small amount of fold equity because you raised preflop and AK(a likely holding for you) already has the nuts. You might just win the pot here.

If you get called here you'll probably get checked to at river and now you have a freeroll. If you hit your King you can bet out again with the nuts. Otherwise you can bet again or you can check. Notice that if you check, you have invested the same amount to see a showdown(2BB), except this time you got to put in a semi-bluff. This is definately +EV.

If you get 3bet at turn, you are probably behind, but you will have odds on your straight draw so you have to call(12 -1 [or 14-1 if it is still 3way]). At this level SB could have a number of hands but will likely have 2 pair or better. If you knew his tendencies you could narrow it down alot more and even be comfortable folding the river if you don't improve. On river you will either be getting 15-1 or 17-1. Tough to fold aces in this spot for such good odds. again a situation were it really helps to know your opponents. Call and hope for the best. Sometimes you will be up against donks and win a huge pot you thought you should have lost.

I think the best play would have been to raise flop.

Nick C
11-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Almost half of the deck is going to be scary on the turn (and even an ace isn't entirely safe, though at the very least it would give you a nice redraw), and you could already be behind on the flop. You aren't really in a position to protect your hand, unless SB 3-bets, and if he does that, he could be fastplaying something big that you're drawing against. Hopefully you're ahead and your opponents are sharing some outs, but I think waiting for the turn is okay here.

The turn card isn't one of the blanks you were hoping for. The fact that SB bet again, into such a scary board, is not comforting, but maybe he just has something along the lines of KQ, KJ, or KT. Or, if he has JT, you could at least still have a lot of outs. I think just calling again is best. If you raise, SB might worry about AK and now just call even if he has a straight, but I don't think we can count on that. And I'd prefer not to charge myself extra to draw, with my sketchy outs. (Even a king could just give me a chop.)

On the river, I think your hand is worth a call, despite SB's continued interest.

This is one of those hands that isn't very satisfying to play, but I think you did all right.