PDA

View Full Version : Do you dump this TP hand?

MikeRand2000
11-06-2005, 10:11 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

I dump the hand, my logic being that I've got top pair on a 3-flush board with a moderate kicker in a smallish pot. What do you do?

TheKentock
11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
I fold preflop

That said, I think the fold is fine on the flop. You are not near closing the action, and you do not want to be raised here. It is a small pot with 4 opponents. I live to fight another day.

11-06-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

I dump the hand, my logic being that I've got top pair on a 3-flush board with a moderate kicker in a smallish pot. What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how the .05 .1 games play, but there's no reason to believe anyone has a made flush and that you don;t have the best hand. Raising the flop won't push out any single-card flush draws but it might be worth it since you are ahead on the flop. Another idea might be to call the flop and raise the turn if a non-club falls ... the MP raise behind you kinda fudges this up for you though ..

Aaron W.
11-06-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Good play. YOu are dominated or eventually will be.

@bsolute_luck
11-06-2005, 11:13 PM
good fold IMO. small pot, likely hood you're behind, and likely hood of getting sucked out on on this type board.

macdaddy991
11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

With some table lineups, I raise that.

Greg J
11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Nice hand.

crazygoose
11-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I fold preflop. Raise that flop and charge opponents for naked flush draws. Your hand is probably good at the time. Folding bacuase you are scared of getting sucked out on is them most illogical thing I've ever heard.

11-07-2005, 12:15 AM
grunch...

vnh

i think a lot of people will say raise to isolate, or ask for reads, but i play this the same against almost all vils.

Edit: Dont ever fold this preflop... raise if the table is tight/weak, otherwise call.

11-07-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I fold preflop." is the most illogical thing I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp?

haha jk /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TheKentock
11-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok, so since I got some flak for suggesting hero fold preflop, I thought I would consult the Micro Limit Bible AKA SSHE.

The tight chart recommends folding this hand from EP3.

The loose chart recommends calling.

Neither recommends raising.

So although perhaps calling could have been correct given a loose table, it may have also been correct to fold here. And it was certainly close. I think raising is a bad idea with this many people left to act.

If you think calling is always right, or that raising is a good play, I'd love to hear why. Without reasoning from either side, I'm going with Ed Miller.

Aaron W.
11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so since I got some flak for suggesting hero fold preflop, I thought I would consult the Micro Limit Bible AKA SSHE.

The tight chart recommends folding this hand from EP3.

The loose chart recommends calling.

Neither recommends raising.

So although perhaps calling could have been correct given a loose table, it may have also been correct to fold here. And it was certainly close. I think raising is a bad idea with this many people left to act.

If you think calling is always right, or that raising is a good play, I'd love to hear why. Without reasoning from either side, I'm going with Ed Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good and all... but the preflop chart is not meant to be used as "Bible". This is a common misconception of a lot of players who put too much emphasis on dogmatic preflop play.

In a 10-handed game third to act with one limper already in the pot, you can usually expect to see 5-6 players to the flop, ie a multiway hand. Therefore, the decision to play depends on whether you think Axs is a multi-way hand. If it's a multi-way hand, then you should play.

I'll let the players who advocate raising defend themselves, because I disagree that raising here can be generally correct.

11-07-2005, 01:01 AM
My first post...anyway, yeah, great fold. Like someone else said;you're either dominated or you will be!

TheKentock
11-07-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That's good and all... but the preflop chart is not meant to be used as "Bible". This is a common misconception of a lot of players who put too much emphasis on dogmatic preflop play.

In a 10-handed game third to act with one limper already in the pot, you can usually expect to see 5-6 players to the flop, ie a multiway hand. Therefore, the decision to play depends on whether you think Axs is a multi-way hand. If it's a multi-way hand, then you should play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, and the Bible reference was pretty tongue in cheek, but my point is that it's marginal. I tend to skew a little to the tight side of the typical 2+2 player, so maybe that's my MUTB side coming out, but...

I just talked to Eskimo at Party, and I eagerly await a reason to raise this consistently. I'm just not convinced that putting 2 bets in preflop is worth it in early position.

Aaron W.
11-07-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, and the Bible reference was pretty tongue in cheek, but my point is that it's marginal. I tend to skew a little to the tight side of the typical 2+2 player, so maybe that's my MUTB side coming out, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's not that marginal for the reasons I already gave (limper in front of you, enough players behind you to expect 5-6 to the flop). It might be a marginal open-limp if the table is a little tight, but once that first player is in ahead of you, you should try to get comfortable limping along with the better multiway hands from early position (as long as there isn't an aggressive player who might shut out the rest of the field behind you).

11-07-2005, 03:01 AM
small pot, easy fold