PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding starting over

11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
(if you arent big on reading introductions you can just skip this part, really)

Hi there, this is my first post I make at the twoplustwo
forums.

I have played poker for about 1½ years and are
probably (at most) break even, I have read Super System, Super System 2 The theory of Poker, Play poker like the pros, Hold'em Excellence: From Beginner to Winner and are currently reading Hold 'em for Advanced players.

The reason for this post is that I am currently in the process of revising my game which has pretty much fallen to shambles. The goal is to improve my game and start playing again at the 2nd of January at Party on $1-$2 Limit 2 tables.

Now, the questions are as follows:

1. I just finnished my second reading of The Theory of Poker and are currently reading Hold 'em for Advanced players. Should I give up on Hold 'em for Advanced players and proceed on to Small Stakes Hold 'em by Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth and save the advanced advice for the more advanced players?

2. I tried to find a list of the abbrevations used in this forum but had no luck in doing so, any list/thread you can point me to?

3. Which Other books do you recommend? Should I just stick to a few or is it necessary that I study for example Small Stakes and Theory of Poker only?

4. (the questions are piling up) Finally, which programs (if any) should I use once I start playing again.

5. If you feel there's anything I've missed in this thread that you feel I should know of, please say so.

If you took your time reading all this you have my gratitude and no-one would be happier than me if you took some of your time and answered some of my questions!

Kind Regards / Jonas

11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
READ SMALL STAKES HOLD'EM BY ED MILLER.

That is the #1 thing you need.

olavfo
11-06-2005, 10:04 PM
<ul type="square"> Study Small Stakes Hold'em and think/play/reread until you understand the concepts.
Play as much as you possibly can.
Analyse your own play using Poker Tracker.
Join the discussions in the Small Stakes forum. Post problem hands and learn from those posted by others.
[/list]

11-06-2005, 10:09 PM
What's the adress to PokerTracker (I am afraid I might run into some kind of spyware if I just google it and click everything I see)

edit: is anyone so far in favour of me finishing Hold 'em for Advanced players before I begin with SSHE?

olavfo
11-06-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the adress to PokerTracker (I am afraid I might run into some kind of spyware if I just google it and click everything I see)

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.pokertracker.com

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Everytime I read the books I learn something I didn't know the first time I read it.

Plenty of concepts. Read em all over and over. Get better and better.

pokernicus
11-07-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: is anyone so far in favour of me finishing Hold 'em for Advanced players before I begin with SSHE?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're better off reading SSHE first; the concepts there will apply far better to small stakes games; i.e., $3/$6 or below (which is what I'm assuming you're going to be playing). Actually, I would even go as far as to say that the advice in HPFAP might lead you to make incorrect plays in small-stakes games (because HPFAP assumes that your opponents generally play good hands, and play them well, which is usually not the case in small-stakes games).

flopmonster
11-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Yea put HPFAP aside for the meantime and finish SSHE. Just go to pokertracker.com and purchase a registration code (like 50 bucks). Pick a good site where you can get some bonus dollars...absolute poker has great bonuses.

11-07-2005, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!

I will take your advice and put down the advanced book for a while and let SSHE take its place.

Judging from what I've read, it might be better to wait with picking it up until I start moving up in limits.

It seems like the basic idea for playing and winning on low limits is to:

* Read SSHE
* Bonus whore
* Use poker tracker
* Be an active part of the twoplustwo community

That about it?

Bob T.
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to play on sites that have affiliate programs, sign up through an affilite that gives you a rake rebate.

paperboyNC
11-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Click here for abbreviation help:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post1659321 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=1659321&amp;an=0&amp;page=0#Post 1659321)

11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the input guys!

I will take your advice and put down the advanced book for a while and let SSHE take its place.

Judging from what I've read, it might be better to wait with picking it up until I start moving up in limits.

It seems like the basic idea for playing and winning on low limits is to:

* Read SSHE
* Bonus whore
* Use poker tracker
* Be an active part of the twoplustwo community

That about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave yourself a rakeback site. You don't need it at many sites if you save your biggest site for RB. If your sucessful there will come a time where the bonuses are small compared to the rakeback.