PDA

View Full Version : hey any of thse books any good?

11-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey guys,
I got points online to pick from these books, any of them really good?Championship NL&PL hold em(tom McEvoy), Tournament Poker(same guy), The making of a poker player by mattt matros, winning low limit hold em (lee Jones), Poker MBA by Greg Dinkins, Internet Texas Hold'em (matthew Hilger) Getting started in hold em by Ed Miller, One of a kind by Nolan Dalla, Psychology of poker by Alan schoonmaker, Poker champion moneymaker by C Moneymaker, Championship satellite strategy, Internet Poker (Lou Kriegger)
Thanks

steamboatin
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Ed Miller and Dr Al. Lee Jones is third.

Moneyline
11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
In general, you'll want to avoid McEvoy's books. However, Championship Satellite Strategy is a very good book for someone who is new to satellites and 1 table tournaments. A lot of people also think highly of Hilger's book, although I haven't read it personally.

ChuckyB
11-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Ed Miller. Then Lee Jones. I wish I'd avoided Cloutier in the beginning of my reading.

If you can get Small Stakes Holdem...get that one, no question.

npc
11-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Thorough reviews of all but two of the books you list are available at:
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/gambling/index-poker.html

Niediam
11-07-2005, 12:30 AM
CNL&PL = meh
TP = poop
Matros = poop but somewhat entertaining
WLLH = decent
Poker MBA = no clue
ITH = decent
GSIH = good
OoaK = seemed ok - only skimmed it
PoP = good
PC = entertaining
CSS = smelly poop
IP = poop

MCS
11-07-2005, 01:26 AM
WLLH, GSIH, ITH

11-07-2005, 02:32 AM
If the Lee Jones book is the 3rd edition, then get that. If it's the 2nd, then get GSIH. My next choices would be Dr. Al's book, then One of A Kind. Hilger's book is ok, but read 2+2 strategy books first.

Championship Satellite Strategy is crap, IMO. If you want to learn SNGs, read Lee Jones' book and the SNG forum here.

I haven't read any others on your list.