PDA

View Full Version : OK Computer

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Pick your three favorite songs off of Radiohead's OK Computer.

Mine are Let Down, Karma Police and Climbing Up the Walls.

Rushmore
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Letdown is an almost ineffably great song.

I would pay for the CD again and again just for that song.

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 07:27 PM
It is great, but IMO Climbing is clearly the best song on the album. OOT is disappointing me.

Also, Electioneering is probably #4 for me. Damnit OOT!

Jack of Arcades
11-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Airbag/Paranoid Android/Let Down

yellowjack
11-06-2005, 07:30 PM
excellent poll

Soul Daddy
11-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Paranoid Android / Climbing Up the Walls / Airbag

MarkSummers
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Can't believe nobody mentioned Exit Music. I chose exit music/paranoid android/lucky.

fluxrad
11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Paranoid Android/Karma Police/Electioneering.

Electioneering is the most underrated song on the whole album, by far. I think maybe people don't like it because of the tinny and spastic lead?

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Electioneering rocks.

Dudd
11-06-2005, 08:53 PM
How does Electioneering only have three votes? That's definately my favorite song.

DougOzzzz
11-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Paranoid Android/Let Down/Lucky.

Can't decide the order. Lucky is especially awesome at the end of SFU Season 4 episode 3 I think.

quinn
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
It's really hard to pick any particular tracks that I like more than others, as they are all very beautiful.

I really tried to find 3 that I like more than the others. All I can say is that Paranoid Android is my favorite track, but I can't make any more distinctions.

edited for this note:
For all the people who were able to answer this poll (people who have listened to OK Computer at least a few times), what albums do you like better than OK Computer? Not just Radiohead albums, any albums.

Jack of Arcades
11-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Electioneering does kick all sorts of ass, yes.

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
I would rank Radiohead albums as follows:

OK Computer
The Bends
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac

Jack of Arcades
11-06-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OK Computer
The Bends
Kid A
Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

[/ QUOTE ]

Juust a little bit of work... and there, perfect.

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Nobody likes Pablo Honey /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jack of Arcades
11-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I like it better than most but never listen to it really. I could be convinced it's better than Amnesiac, but not HTTT.

jgorham
11-06-2005, 10:07 PM
1. Let Down
2. Paranoid Android
3. No Surprises

TheMainEvent
11-06-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People really don't like Subterreanean Hoemsick Alien? That song cuts right to the center of Radiohead's main themes.

whiskeytown
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Karma Police is the one I wish I had written, but Lucky is my fav....

I actually thought it would work in a coffeeshop env. so I worked up an acoustic version and sang it sometimes -

Of course, the all time fav. HAS to be Fake Plastic Trees - but that's a different album...

I just haven't connected to anything since albums 2 and 3 - hmmm..

RB

scrub
11-06-2005, 10:37 PM
The fact that "Fitter Happier" has a vote is sad.

scrub

whiskeytown
11-06-2005, 10:47 PM
I used to write quips of that on a whiteboard in our office in 1999 when I was an NT/Windows 2000 consultant...

I was axed in layoffs months later with a bunch of other people - to be fair, we were losing money, but people who played the system stuck around...

But I'm still happy I wrote it..

RB

11-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Good poll. People who like Radiohead should definitely check out Brad Mehldau's recordings of several of their songs - Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Knives Out (especially this one!!! from Day is Done). I don't know how easy it is for people these days to find free music, but this is all available on Napster, 30 second samples for free, or a buck a track, or $10 per month to RENT music (or keep it if you're clever) as long as you subscribe. Anyway, definitely check it out.

11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe nobody mentioned Exit Music. I chose exit music/paranoid android/lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that funny, I chose the same three.

Claunchy
11-07-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People really don't like Subterreanean Hoemsick Alien? That song cuts right to the center of Radiohead's main themes.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, Subterranean Homesick Alien is easily my favorite song on the album.

gumpzilla
11-07-2005, 12:13 AM
I picked Exit Music/No Surprises/Airbag.

EDIT: I don't get the Electioneering love. I used to have my CD player programmed to skip it. And I would actually listen to Fitter Happier. I don't think it fits on this album at all.

DougOzzzz
11-07-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good poll. People who like Radiohead should definitely check out Brad Mehldau's recordings of several of their songs - Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Knives Out (especially this one!!! from Day is Done). I don't know how easy it is for people these days to find free music, but this is all available on Napster, 30 second samples for free, or a buck a track, or $10 per month to RENT music (or keep it if you're clever) as long as you subscribe. Anyway, definitely check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mehldau rocks. We went to high school together (though he was 2 years ahead of me and I didn't know him then).

fluxrad
11-07-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For all the people who were able to answer this poll (people who have listened to OK Computer at least a few times), what albums do you like better than OK Computer? Not just Radiohead albums, any albums.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are few.

Albums I like better than OK Computer (In no particular order):

The White Album - The Beatles
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement
Wowee Zowee - Pavement
Nevermind - Nirvana (I haven't listened to this in way too long).

These are about it. The list probably changes a little from day to day.

Kyo Souma II
11-07-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, Subterranean Homesick Alien is easily my favorite song on the album.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a uniquely pretty, graceful song. I'm always surprised that most people either dislike it or ignore it.. :/

-kyo

w_alloy
11-07-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that funny, I chose the same three.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it was super super close.

Side note, why does everyone hate on amnesiac so much? I think if it was released before Kid A it would have a lot more fans. If Kid A was never released it would be considered a true classic imo. My favorite 3 albums ever are:

Kid A
Amnesiac
OK Computer

FWIW, I dont really consider Pablo Honey to be a Radiohead album. Its not a bad album, just...

New001
11-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Lucky, The Tourist, and Let Down. I think.

smurfitup
11-07-2005, 05:29 AM
this forum is not giving no surprises enough love... my fave songs are 1. no surprises 2. let down 3. paranoid android

i agree w/ several of you that amnesiac is underrated... i might be wrong, but didnt radiohead produce the songs from amnesiac and kid a around the same time and just indiscriminately put some tracks in one album and some in another?

MarkL444
11-07-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that "Fitter Happier" has a vote is sad.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

the first thing i thought when i saw the results was "who the [censored] voted for fitter happier?"

kbfc
11-07-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wowee Zowee - Pavement

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna get into albums that I prefer to OK Computer, as the list would be quite long, and that's given Radiohead is in my top 5 bands. I just thought I'd recognize this great choice. Wowee Zowee = 10.0 album.

kbfc
11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree w/ several of you that amnesiac is underrated... i might be wrong, but didnt radiohead produce the songs from amnesiac and kid a around the same time and just indiscriminately put some tracks in one album and some in another?

[/ QUOTE ]

If by 'indiscriminately' you mean, "put all the good ones on Kid A, and left the garbage (with a few exceptions) for Amnesiac," then yes, you are correct.

Also, points for the "I might be wrong" reference.

nicky g
11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Exit Music, Karma Police, Climbing Up The Walls.

Climbing Up The Walls is clearly the best song ever.

spamuell
11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
More love for Electioneering and No Surprises please.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are few.

Wowee Zowee - Pavement

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck - Odelay
Most Beatles Albums
Who's Next
Several Dinosaur Jr Albums

I still enjoy OK Computer and Radiohead in general, but they are not the be all, end all. They do nicely fill their niche in the music spectrum.

My favs - Airbag, Paranoid Android, Electioneering.

jaydub
11-07-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

OK Computer
The Bends
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac

[/ QUOTE ]

Good list. Here's mine:
OK Computer
The Bends
Itch
Kid A
Pablo Honey
Hail to the Thief
My Iron Lung
Amnesiac

jaydub
11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are few.

Wowee Zowee - Pavement

[/ QUOTE ]

Beck - Odelay
Most Beatles Albums
Who's Next
Several Dinosaur Jr Albums

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? I mean I can understand the beatles, I think you're wrong but it is a respectable position, but dinosuar jr?

diebitter
11-07-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

wtf? I mean I can understand the beatles, I think you're wrong but it is a respectable position, but dinosuar jr?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an OOT rule or something. When asked for best album listings, you give a few classics, then one that no-one's heard of or that is just trash. It's to look kewl. (I usually put 'The The - Infected' here)

jaydub
11-07-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an OOT rule or something. When asked for best album listings, you give a few classics, then one that no-one's heard of or that is just trash. It's to look kewl. (I usually put 'The The - Infected' here)

[/ QUOTE ]

But I thought he put who's next for that....

*ducks*

TheMainEvent
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's even more specific than that. It has to be a late 80s/early 90s pre-grunge band that everyone thinks of as hugely influential but never got enormous popularity. Pixies or My Bloody Valentine are good choices that haven't been mentioned yet. Feel free to use them in your next OOT music thread.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Foiled again!!! Through The The --Infected is a classic! I just mentioned Dino Jr because I saw them in Vegas a couple of months ago and they were fresh in my mind.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Anyone who doesn't have Paranoid Android listed, not only among the top 3 songs on this album, but as one of the top few songs ever, is delusional.

diebitter
11-07-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Through The The --Infected is a classic!

[/ QUOTE ]

You see how I don't get this rule, cos I'm not one of the kewl OOTiots...

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Through The The --Infected is a classic!

[/ QUOTE ]

You see how I don't get this rule, cos I'm not one of the kewl OOTiots...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because you are a Brit /images/graemlins/smile.gif The American lack of sophisticated humor befuddles and frustrates your sensibilities. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink......

astroglide
11-07-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who doesn't have Paranoid Android listed, not only among the top 3 songs on this album, but as one of the top few songs ever, is delusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

asofel
11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paranoid Android/Karma Police/Electioneering.

Electioneering is the most underrated song on the whole album, by far. I think maybe people don't like it because of the tinny and spastic lead?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.....i was shocked to see how little votes its getting....glad to see others appreciate it as well, its an excellent song....

CallMeIshmael
11-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Electioneering, Paranoid Android, Karma Police

El Ishmael
11-07-2005, 01:36 PM
omg get the [censored] out of here.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Paranoid Android, Let Down, Electioneering, in no particular order.

Rushmore
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO Climbing is clearly the best song on the album. OOT is disappointing me.

Also, Electioneering is probably #4 for me. Damnit OOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm a little mystified by these glaring omissions as well.

Both great songs, and apparently underappreciated.

CallMeIshmael
11-07-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
omg get the [censored] out of here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does everyone know who this is, btw?

bobbyi
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dark Side of the Moon.

spamuell
11-07-2005, 01:50 PM
No.

CallMeIshmael
11-07-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its istewart.

It started off as a "CMI sucks" account

Then it went to a "Kurosh sucks" account

Then it went to his "Ive been banned, and need an account" account

11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I agree, thats my fave too. I think it is the best song, the most different. Sums the whole album's feel up.

AJay2000
11-12-2005, 12:47 AM
I think that exit music is probably my fave song on the album, followed by karma police and paranoid android.

As far as ranking the albums, I believe that the Bends is actually BETTER than OK Computer. I love OK Computer and it's brilliance as a concept and work of art, but I think that the Bends is just better. High and Dry/Fake Plastic Trees/Just, and everything in between is quality as well.

My opinion. Flame on.

- Jay