View Full Version : When to put your chips in with a 2 x BB stack.

paddysreturn
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Im just reading Harrington on hold 'em volume 2.

On page 131, Harrington refers to the dead zone - when your stack is only equivalent to one big blind (I assume really this applies to upto about 2.5 x BB). He states that you must be the first person to get all your chips into the pot - almost irrelevant of your cards. The theory being that other players wont limp as theyd be afraid of someone coming over the top.

However, I seem to remember in Sklansky's book that he stated that players shouldnt be in a rush to play any mediocre hand as there is still a chance of getting a decent hand all the way upto the BB.

Have I missed something here or are the two writers offering different opinions? If so, which one should I tend towards?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

bluef0x
11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure eastbay ran some calculations and it's best to get your stack in the first time it's folded around to you, no matter what cards you hold, rather than waiting for a decent hand. You might want to search for some posts by him..

splashpot
11-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I have a hard time believing eastbay would say something like that. I'm pretty sure going all in with 32o when it's folded to you in MP is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

paddysreturn
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks Blue, I'll try the search.

11-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Seems to me like best case scenario is a loose big stack raises in front of you and you call because you've got protection and great pot odds.

I think generalizing these things isn't very productive. On bodog 5.50s, for example, there are usually about 2 players at the table who'll fold their BB frequently if I push for 2xBB. There are other players who love to try and call from MP to check down.

11-06-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a hard time believing eastbay would say something like that. I'm pretty sure going all in with 32o when it's folded to you in MP is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]Even when you're down to 2xBB?

pooh74
11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Even when you're down to 2xBB?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh...especially?

eastbay
11-06-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure eastbay ran some calculations and it's best to get your stack in the first time it's folded around to you, no matter what cards you hold, rather than waiting for a decent hand. You might want to search for some posts by him..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember that.

eastbay