PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Life

Phoenix1010
11-06-2005, 06:15 PM
If you could be anything, anywhere, doing anything, where would you be, what would you do? What is your dream life?

For instance, you could be... A recluse living on a boat, sailing where you wish, being alone when you want, going where the wind takes you; A traveling documentary writer, seeing the world, meeting new and interesting people every day and telling their stories; A pro wrestler; The starting quarterback for USC; A professional high stakes p*ker player living in Thailand banging young asian chicks; A reporter for the NYT; President of the U.S.; A wealthy heir partying nonstop; many more...

What would you be?

Edit: Just to clarify, this is current day, and you have to still be you. Otherwise go crazy.

Lazymeatball
11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Tom Brady, not that I'm one for idol worship, but he seems to have it pretty good.

Cumulonimbus
11-06-2005, 06:20 PM
The emperor of a large Roman empire, expanding my rule by installing waterlines, building new impressive buildings, and making a beautiful empire for people to use in exchange for being one of my citizens. Ahh, money and power.

[censored]
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
good question:

I'd want to be in a situation similar to warren buffet but on a much smaller scale. What I mean is it would be cool to be an owner or part owner of a nice basket of businesses I wam interested in by have it set up where each is being run day to day by qualified people. I could instead focus on the areas that interest me and think about things like long term strategy and creative ideas.

I'd still live in Oregon probably more southern where I'd have a ranch, Northen CA would also be an option.

Either that or a completely self contained complex deep in the middle of nowhere.

Bascule
11-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I would rename myself 'The evil Doctor X' and have a secret underground base from which I would plot to take over the world.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical answers for guys are two of the best lives of the century: Jacques Cousteau or Hugh Hefner.

For a less common dream, I'd love to do nothing all day but practice martial arts and play Go. And maybe write a little, who knows. That would cover physical, mental, spiritual, and creative quite handily.

Exitonly
11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
a house in centrtal NJ suburb, married w/ kids, living off of investments/dividends/interest, playing poker for extra $$, nearby some of my friends, on some club soccer/basketball teams.

--

Man that souunds sweet to me. I'm like 50% to where i want to be.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

InchoateHand
11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Would you convert to Islam like Mr. Cousteau?

Blarg
11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
What??? He converted to Islam? Guess he got air bubbles in his brain one too many times.

11-06-2005, 07:26 PM
A job I don't hate (hmmmm, maybe an game of some sort that uses strategy to make money) a wife that I will always find attractive, kids that turn out to be rich and famous and give me more money. And I would know what happens in the afterlife and act accordingly.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 07:31 PM
What if what you found out about the afterlife made all that stuff a no-go?

11-06-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if what you found out about the afterlife made all that stuff a no-go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'd do whatever was neccessary (live like a monk, etc.) If I knew what was going to happen after I died, I would have no problem living like that.

pokerdirty
11-06-2005, 07:57 PM
i would just want to be insanely lucky.

i don't have a master plan for my life, nor do i think i would want one. i would just hope that [censored] wouldn't go insanely wrong, but rather insanely right. maybe win the mega millions, maybe have an insanely hot girl way out of my league come up to me and ask to [censored] her right then and there, you know, stuff that wouldn't happen in real life unless you were insanely lucky.

Phoenix1010
11-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Yours is pretty close to mine. I don't think I'll be happy unless I become a Tibetan monk.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I could dig it, aside from all the sour yak milk and the genocide.

nothumb
11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
I'd like to continue in social work but become fabulously wealthy by some freak occurence (like lotto, or winning the WSOP, etc). That way I could live comfortably, be a philanthropist and handle some of the more administrative levels of social work practice (which I think is done really poorly right now).

I'd probably keep living where I am now for the time being, somewhere in the future I'd like to own a home in the area where I grew up (Chapel Hill NC), somewhere tropical (like the Yucatan or St. John) and somewhere in the middle of nowhere in case the doo-doo hits the proverbial fan. But that would all be gravy.

I'd also like to know a bit more about the afterlife, although really I would be satisfied to know that something happens after death without getting into specifics.

NT

Blarg
11-06-2005, 09:09 PM
I want to hold off on knowing anything more about the afterlife for a while.

Losing all
11-06-2005, 09:20 PM
The best baseball player in the world, lead guitar for Slayer in the off season.

I'd give my left hand for a simple re-start though

11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I would love to be me, right now. But 11 years old. IE., I wish I knew everything I know now, but Im still young, and can re-experience everything I have done, but expertly. By the time I was 25 I would own the world.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think I could go through all that [censored] again.

Matt Flynn
11-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I would like money but not fame, lots of free time, and youth, otherwise pretty good as is.

Phoenix1010
11-06-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would love to be me, right now. But 11 years old. IE., I wish I knew everything I know now, but Im still young, and can re-experience everything I have done, but expertly. By the time I was 25 I would own the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't really what the thread was looking for, but I like this. The idea of a redo is appealing to me, mostly because I have issues dealing with mortality and forgetting my past.

Phoenix1010
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Genocide is the new hotness.

astroglide
11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
i would want to own amazing, breakeven businesses.

restaurants, car washes, you name it. anything where i went someplace and it wasn't great, or wanted to go someplace and realized it didn't exist. i'd love to be able to afford to dump whatever money was made into improving the place and paying my employees more, just making it a place that everybody from the workers to the customers totally loved.

imported_anacardo
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably my #1 idle fantasy. King of the Fourth Grade - that's the life for me. All the time in the world to pursue desires actually worth pursuing.

11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/176/jessicaalba8rw2dc.jpg

sfer
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

restaurants, car washes, you name it. anything where i went someplace and it wasn't great, or wanted to go someplace and realized it didn't exist. i'd love to be able to afford to dump whatever money was made into improving the place and paying my employees more, just making it a place that everybody from the workers to the customers totally loved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

gumpzilla
11-06-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this answer a lot. I've had similar inclinations before.

I'm going to cop out a bit and say I don't think there is one ideal life for me. It's a big world, and there's a lot of [censored] out there that seems worth doing. So it's hard for me to project too far afield of where I seem to be going right now. I'll just say what my goals are, in no particular order: not having to worry about money, putting together a solid family, doing some good science and being respected in my field, maybe doing some writing at some point. Boring, cliched stuff, obviously, but that's what I've got at the moment.