PDA

View Full Version : $109s - A3 Bluff

Unarmed
11-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I want a call on the turn. Is that mental?
Villain is decent, but a bit aggro.
He's shown he can lay down hands.
My cards here are irrelevant btw.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP (t840)
CO (t1660)
Button (t1335)
SB (t3175)
Hero (t2185)
UTG (t805)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t600) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Turn: (t1200) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t1500

Jman28
11-06-2005, 06:08 PM
If you suspect he folds to a big river bet after calling the turn over 95% of the time (not totally unreasonable), then yes, root for the turn call. Otherwise, I think taking it down now is better.

11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Very nicely played. Wanting a turn call looks mental to me but what do I know.

11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Nh.

How often does a 1/4 pot bet get a fold on the turn in the 109s? I assume you fold to a check/push.

Incidentally, I don't think your cards are irrelevant. You certainly gain at least a little EV from that fact that he could have a decent hand and you could make two pair/trips to double up.

11-06-2005, 06:47 PM
If he does call here with a hand like Ah/Jd or Kh/Jd then he has the nut flush draw or second flush draw and if another heart comes you could lose a substantial amount with a big over bet. So I'd like to take it down here hoping my opponent was just making a continuation bet and realizes he's done with the hand.

wuwei
11-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice to have you back posting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think it is a bit mental to want a call considering the size of the pot on the turn. But if he does call, his hand should be pretty easy to read.

Love the bluff call on the flop. Considering the 3 hearts on the board, do you think you bet enough on the turn? Or do you think he calls 1000 or 300 with a good heart, so it doesn't matter?

maddog2030
11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like it if his hand range was more narrow. As it stands, I don't think such a small bet trying to induce a call from a mediocre-weak-hand-so-I-can-push-you-off-it-on-the-river is going to be profitable often enough.

maddog2030
11-06-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, I don't think your cards are irrelevant. You certainly gain at least a little EV from that fact that he could have a decent hand and you could make two pair/trips to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to make this point, but you already said it. I'm not saying that a different course of action is more EV, but the EV scales for alternative lines are not as skewed in one direction anymore now that you have some showdown value.

johnnybeef
11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's mental. I'd say its more like FPS. You obviously are wishing that he a naked ace of hearts and want to have him throw in an extra t300 in an effort to take down a bigger pot on the river.

How'd I do?

11-06-2005, 07:08 PM
If he calls, the river's a blank, and he checks, do you check behind or bet?

maddog2030
11-06-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You obviously are wishing that he a naked ace of hearts and want to have him throw in an extra t300 in an effort to take down a bigger pot on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he'd want to give him pot odds if this was his intention.

Unarmed
11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's mental. I'd say its more like FPS. You obviously are wishing that he a naked ace of hearts and want to have him throw in an extra t300 in an effort
to take down a bigger pot on the river.

How'd I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. I just want a crying call from an ace hoping for a cheap showdown, a wish I will deny him on the river. If he has a big heart that's fine. I don't *think* I'm going to push a heart river if he checks, but I'm definitely pushing a non-heart river. Thing with this bluff was, if I bet big on the turn, he'll sense something fishy. If I bet medium and he calls, I have nothing to fire another barrel with. Given players are less likely to call bets on the river than the turn (especially if he's drawing to a heart flush) I took the cheese bet, big bet on river line. I also prefer it because that's how most would play the turned flush.

bawcerelli
11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he calls, the river's a blank, and he checks, do you check behind or bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure he's betting. why else would he want a turn call with only a pair of 3's? his plan is to move him off on the river.

zambonidrivr
11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
wow, fold preflop. no need to get involved here

bawcerelli
11-06-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, fold preflop. no need to get involved here

[/ QUOTE ]

bad advice. he's getting 3-1 to see the flop.

zambonidrivr
11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
i don't care about the odds. there's no need to get involved, you have a nice stack. manage your stack relative to the others. save fe for the bubble. hero was lucky here.

bawcerelli
11-06-2005, 08:37 PM
folding to a minraise here with A3s is absurdly weak tight.

zambonidrivr
11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
sorry we disagree. i would rather raise with any 2 than call with air. what are you ahead of here? easy fold, and it's not even close.

tigerite
11-06-2005, 08:45 PM
If you fold here with A3s at a 55 let alone a 109, the SB will see you are weak and be able to walk over your blinds all the time. It's a must call. A fold is fine against the donks of the 11-33's, but not here.

bawcerelli
11-06-2005, 08:46 PM
not even close? okay buddy. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bones
11-06-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hero was lucky here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's consistent luck in these situations is probably why he can play the hand in the first place.

zambonidrivr
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
i play this way on the 100's all the time. when blinds are larger and my stack less manageable, I will pop them right back and make them lay it down as they know I have a hand. I then turn into a pushbot and take down the table. I can see you point in a MTT, but this sng stuff is more about not making mistakes and pushboting your way in. Thats just my opinion. i only have over 2000 as a profitable sample size at the 100's so i might not know what i am talking about

bigt439
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so i might not know what i am talking about

[/ QUOTE ]

Then stop saying 'not even close' in every one of your posts. You're giving very controversial advice in several posts this month over thoroughly debated issues and then announcing 'not even close'. It's annoying.

I really like how this hand was played, but I disagree with your cards being irrelevant. Improving to trips or two pair is relevant and deciding to check a heart river with a pair as opposed to bubkus has some value. Nice post.

Scuba Chuck
11-06-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thing with this bluff was, if I bet big on the turn, he'll sense something fishy. If I bet medium and he calls, I have nothing to fire another barrel with.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he smells something fishy, but yet has nothing/little, what/how is he calling? If he smells something fishy, I suspect he's pushing (if aggressive) or folding (if tight).

Elektrik
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Your lack of understanding comes from not realizing that a profitable way of playing is not necessarily the most profitable way to play. A trained pushbotting monkey could turn a profit at the $100's, an actual poker player who also knows how to pushbot as well can turn a larger one.

pineapple888
11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's mental.

Otherwise, nice turn bluff with a scare card against an opponent who's bet weakly.

Regarding preflop, I might fold, call, or push in this situation, depending on my reads.

In other words, IIEC (it *is* even close).