PDA

View Full Version : deciding to make a move on pot

11-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm beginning to play some online multi-table tournaments. I feel I have pretty good beginning strategy and a good sense of when play tightens/loosens. I'm still, however, having difficulty making moves and opening up my play. Below is a play I made and would love some second opinions.

Party poker freeroll. I had ~6k, I think average was about 8k for tournament. Play was becoming more tight/aggressive, blinds were 150/300 but we were 1 min from break. UTG, 1600 stack, limped. 2nd player, ~10K limped. Folded to me in late position with A2. I see 1050 in pot and figure that if I put UTG all in he didn't have a good enough hand to call. No read on the individual player, just reasoning an ace or pair big enough to call would have warrented bringing in for a raise.

I raise to put UTG all in, blinds fold, UTG calls, 2nd limper folds. UTG showed A9.

Afterwards I'm thinking my read on the situation was pretty accurate but I still don't know if my play was good or if I needed more than just A2.

I'm also interested in knowing what hands UTG would be correct to call there. I'm now thinking he would have had to call a lot more hands than I originally thought, considering he would have been left with just 1300 and having to post blinds.

11-06-2005, 05:09 PM
You can't expect to get away with plays like this in a freeroll. There are a lot of players who, once they have decided they like a hand, are going to see it all the through, or at least see the flop. Also, they HATE seeing people buy the pot, and they love to snap off bluffs. You should make this same play with a hand like TT and let him call you with his A9.

I wouldn't start getting pushy in a freeroll until you are on the bubble and you have identified the players who are just trying to make the money. Then you can attack their blinds. Until then, play tight and let the fish pay off your big hands.

runout_mick
11-06-2005, 05:15 PM
In a nutshell: Don't make moves on the little guys.

He was wrong for limping there, but you were MORE wrong to assume he would (or even could) fold to any bet.

If you're going to make moves, pick on the midstacks

p.s. There's been plenty of posts along these lines here, you may do well to review the 2+2 mtt archives and backposts. No offense, but it seems you are missing some critical basic strategy, and there is no better place to learn it than here.

Hope this helps...

runout_mick
11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also interested in knowing what hands UTG would be correct to call there. I'm now thinking he would have had to call a lot more hands than I originally thought, considering he would have been left with just 1300 and having to post blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG should not have limped there. Any hand worth limping is worth pushing with his wee tiny stack. After he DID decide to limp, he basically had to call and live with the consequences.