PDA

View Full Version : 77 UTG with raise from CO

RustyCJ
11-06-2005, 04:07 PM
converter not working for me atm

No reads and playing hands like this make me somewhat nervous, I'm trying to find aggression in the right places.

Stars .25/.50 - 8 handed

Hero is UTG with 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif and calls, 2 folds, 1 call, CO raises, button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls and MP calls.

3 of us to the flop for 6.5 SB

J /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to the CO who bets, <font color="red"> Hero Raises?? </font>

El Ishmael
11-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Good.

Nfinity
11-06-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No reads

[/ QUOTE ]

AND

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to find aggression in the right places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go together. Finding times to make aggressive plays like this almost always requires you to have some sort of read on the player.

As far as the hand goes, I would rather raise a hand like this in position, CR'ing it OOP leaves you open to all sorts of ways to lose money.

Since you did it, here is how you must play out the rest of the hand.

Fold to a 3-bet on the Flop.

Bet/ Fold any Turn UI.

Probably Check/ Fold on most rivers UI. Depending on what the board looks like.

Edit: I didn't realize there was a third player, so I like it a lot better, but all of my recommendations still stand.

adsman
11-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Absolutely. You want to get rid of the MP player and put pressure on the pfr who could be betting with missed overs. Lead out on the turn and fold to a raise. I just did exactly the same thing with 44, a Q hit the turn, I bet out and he folded.

Nfinity
11-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Just a little knowledge enhancer:

Can anyone tell me why this play is better on a:

J 5 2 board

than a:

Q 5 2 board?

11-06-2005, 04:33 PM
*grunch*

Fold. Here's my logic:

You've got a PP better than middle pair with a pre-flop raiser in a small pot (6.5 SB). This is a marginal hand - you have few outs (no redraws) and are very vulnerable to overcards. It's checked to the PF raiser who bets (7.5 SB). This is a close-call either raise of fold situation. If you had top pair and/or a larger pot I could see the C/R to protect your hand but not with your holding and the pot size. If you are ahead you are still vulnerable to be outdrawn by a higher pair. If you are behind you are essentially drawing to two outs (two 7's).

tyler_cracker
11-06-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

J 5 2 board

than a:

Q 5 2 board?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many more raising hands that contain a Q (and thus that would have hit this flop) than there are that contain a J.

Do i get to go to recess early?

Nfinity
11-06-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

J 5 2 board

than a:

Q 5 2 board?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many more raising hands that contain a Q (and thus that would have hit this flop) than there are that contain a J.

Do i get to go to recess early?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partially right, and good logic there, but I was thinking more along the lines of our chances of being good here.

tyler_cracker
11-06-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Partially right, and good logic there, but I was thinking more along the lines of our chances of being good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i guess there's also the fact that people (the limpers) are more likely to play a hand with a Q than a hand with a J, but i think this effect is small (much smaller than, say, people playing any hand with an A vs. any hand with a K).

Is there something else i'm missing? I really want to go play some tetherball.

Nfinity
11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

J 5 2 board

than a:

Q 5 2 board?

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to CO, on a Jack high board there more 2 overcard hands he would raise pre-flop and might bet on on the Flop that we are ahead of(KQ, AQ, AK to be exact.)

However...

In regards to the Middle position player, it would probably be best to Raise the Q high Flop if he had a fairly tight limping/raising standard because he could only call somewhat correctly here with Qx and AK.

This is all partially irrelevant to the games we play because our opponents are more likely to have Junk that would hit this flop and would continue regardless of how correct they are to do so(not a bad thing), but it is some food for thought.

RustyCJ
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since you did it, here is how you must play out the rest of the hand.

Fold to a 3-bet on the Flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I was 3-bet and hit call as I realized I should be folding. The turn was the 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I felt bad when I beat KK.

11-06-2005, 09:55 PM
why raise. You have reverse implied odds with this hand I think.

11-06-2005, 10:24 PM
The reason I don't like this against an unknown is that I don't know what to do when we get 3 bet on the flop or raised on the turn. I think it's still fine, but just prefer this when I have some kind of read to help me out.

Nfinity
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I don't like this against an unknown is that I don't know what to do when we get 3 bet on the flop or raised on the turn. I think it's still fine, but just prefer this when I have some kind of read to help me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't need read to know you should fold to a 3-bet on the Flop or a raise on the Turn.