PDA

View Full Version : playing more than 1 table +EV?

RustyCJ
11-06-2005, 03:59 PM
This has probably been talked about at some point and I generally play 1 table at a time, but when I'm going to leave the table I've been playing for a looser table I will sometimes have a hand in both simultaneously until the blinds reach me on the table I'm leaving.

I've noticed that when I have 2 tables up I pay more attention - basically surfing less and watching TV less and I pay more attention to the action at the tables.

Has anyone else found this to be true or am I simply deluding myself?

I would also wonder then, as I'm certain this probably does hold true for at least some percentage of people, at what # of tables could someone expect to see the greatest BB/100?

numeri
11-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I've also found the same thing in the past. Playing full ring, I have to play at least 2 tables. In 6-max, I usually play 1 now for a while until I get a handle on the players, then I open up a second.

The ideal number is different for every person - you'll have to find that yourself.

11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Yes I 5-table and pay much more attention than if I played 1.

11-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Another thing to consider is that by playing more tables variance will be lower which is defiantly +ev

11-06-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The ideal number is different for every person - you'll have to find that yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You can just open more tables until you find your comfortable zone.

One thing that I do is to vary the number of tables depending on the game type (i.e. full ring or 6-max). Obviously, 6-max moves faster with more hands/hr.

Also, the more I have to pay attention on a per table basis to stealing opportunities, hand reading, etc., the less tables I play. (Also skills that are more emphasized in 6-max.)

At many full ring games, you can almost play on autopilot. That's why your mind can start wandering and get easily bored.

hizo1
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to consider is that by playing more tables variance will be lower which is defiantly +ev

[/ QUOTE ]

variance / number of hands will remain the same. variance/time played will decrease. i don't see how or why this should be *defiantly* ev+ though

bozlax
11-06-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance and EV are not related. EV is a short-term question, variance affects the long haul.

11-06-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Variance and EV are not related. EV is a short-term question, variance affects the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he meant +EV in the loose sense as in it's a "good thing" to have less variation because you play more hands per unit time. (My run-on sentences are also +EV, too.)

Nomad84
11-06-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Variance and EV are not related. EV is a long-term question, variance affects the short haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

DRD66
11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that when I have 2 tables up I pay more attention

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. 2 is the most I play, but at 1 I get bored. Also, when I play just one I find my VPIP creeping up because I want more action. A second table calms me down.

VBCurtis
11-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Rusty-- which is more important to you, BB/100 or BB/hr? Many 2+2ers play 3 or 4 tables, even though their BB/100 is lower than at 2 tables. If I make 3 BB/100 at 1 table and 2 BB/100 at 2 tables, I'm playing 2 every time, because I'll make 4 BB/100-at-each. It's really 4BB/200, but those 200 happen in the same time as 100 at one table, so my winrate per time rose.

If you want to play the best-possible poker you can, play at the number of tables that produces the best focus. If you want to make the most money, increase the number of tables until you scare yourself or misclick frequently or get timed out. For most people, the added profit from an extra table more than compensates for the lowered BB/100 overall.

Hope this helps.
-Curtis

RustyCJ
11-06-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rusty-- which is more important to you, BB/100 or BB/hr? Many 2+2ers play 3 or 4 tables, even though their BB/100 is lower than at 2 tables. If I make 3 BB/100 at 1 table and 2 BB/100 at 2 tables, I'm playing 2 every time, because I'll make 4 BB/100-at-each. It's really 4BB/200, but those 200 happen in the same time as 100 at one table, so my winrate per time rose.

If you want to play the best-possible poker you can, play at the number of tables that produces the best focus. If you want to make the most money, increase the number of tables until you scare yourself or misclick frequently or get timed out. For most people, the added profit from an extra table more than compensates for the lowered BB/100 overall.

Hope this helps.
-Curtis

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly realize playing more tables can increase BB/hour, that wasn't what I was after. My post regards BB/100 - meaning, quality of play, can playing more than 1 table increase BB/100 because of more concentration.