PDA

View Full Version : basic fishy question

11-06-2005, 03:31 PM
wondered if i've been leaking a fair bit of $$$$ with this type of play.

loose-passive 5-10. average 5 callers....

i'm on button with AKs, i raise 4 callers, 2 stay in.

cards come J72 rainbow.... two players check to me. assuming these players are calling stations, is it correct for me to bet with ace high and two overcards. 12.5 % chance i hit. i'd be betting $5 into $40 pot with likely 10 more to come. so the odds (9 to 1) cover the (7 to 1) hitting odds, although there is sure a chance of opponent hitting two pairs. and i asked about this flop, but what about a more dangerous flop?? i guess i should re-read miller on the flop (although so much depends on the actual game and the players). i know one thing though, you have no fold equity on the flop. but is it building you some flop equity later? i find that I (and it seems many others) don't have guts to keep betting out on each street on a semi-bluff.

a related question: do people find that the calling station types will call to the end??? or do alot of people give it up when the bet doubles on the turn???

i've done o.k. at B&M but just want to know if i should be cutting back.. i think i'm tight=aggressive pre-flop, but i don't necessarily think i'm that good later on (as that's hard to learn from books specifically, pre-flop is perfect).

thanks to all in advance!!!

lighterjobs
11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
raising the button preflop and getting two callers and then checking the flop is a very weak play. J72 rainbow is a pretty ragged flop. the only thing you have to worry about is AJ, KJ, or a set to be in a lot of trouble. so a continuation bet is pretty standard on the flop.

if you get called you have six outs twice so you have ~25% chance of hitting your overcards. if you are checkraised on the flop you should still call and fold the turn if you are unimproved. if you do hit an A or K on the turn, you should raise if there is a bet. if it is three bet you should call down if you are UI on the river.

11-06-2005, 05:11 PM
thanks, gilbert, much appreciated.....