PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter: I've never anticipated a book release so much

Dynasty
06-18-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm not a big reader. Usually, I'll only read one or two books a year (not including poker, baseball, and chess books which would push the # way up). Three years ago, I was looking in Barnes & Noble in Boston trying to find a new book to read on my train ride home.

After walking past the display three times, I finally grabbed "that Harry Potter book" that everyone on the news kept talking about. I read the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the store and was intrigued. It was on sale so I bought for less than $5.

Within a week, I had read all four of the Harry Potter books and was eagerly anticipating the release of the fifth book. That was three years ago.

Three long years. I had expected the fifth book to be released in the Summer of 2001, shortly after I arrived in Las Vegas. No luck. Then, I assumed it would have to be out by the Summer of 2002. No luck. Finally, last November it was announced that the 896 page Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix would be released on June 21, 2003. The countdown was on.

Waiting for this book reminds me of waitng for the release of Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace. And, I'm a huge Star Wars fan too. It's been gut-wrenching at times. But, in less than three days, the wait will be over.

On Friday night at midnight, I'm not even considering being at the Bellagio or Mirage to play poker. I'll be about 2 1/2 miles east of the Mirage. I'll be at Barnes & Nobles which is staying open past midnight and holding a Midnight Magic Party to celebrate the release. They'll probably be a few too many kids there and some off-kilter adults dressed up like characters from the book. But, I don't care. I'm going to enjoy the goofy atmosphere.

By 1:30 am, I expect to be home with my treasured book. Check-raises, 3-bets, and big laydowns be damned. I'm going to have more fun somebody winning 100 big bets and blowing it all at Olympic Gardens.

896 pages! Whoo-hoo! But, what do I do when I finish?

Jimbo
06-18-2003, 10:55 AM
"896 pages! Whoo-hoo! But, what do I do when I finish?"

You can spend the next three years anticipating which one of her main characters dies, or is that in this book?

Dynasty
06-18-2003, 11:07 AM
No spoilers, please.

You wouldn't want me to tell you that Anakin Skywalker is going to become Darth Vader, would you?

Jimbo
06-18-2003, 11:19 AM
"You wouldn't want me to tell you that Anakin Skywalker is going to become Darth Vader, would you?"

Good point Dynasty, I wasn't trying to spoil the book for you. Besides I do believe the character dies in the 6th book, not in the current release. If I am wrong I apologize.

As far as Star Wars goes I also am an avid fan. Do you know when the final movie is scheduled to be released?

Dynasty
06-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Star Wars: Episode III has already begun filming and will be released in the summer of 2005. I think some of the jedi die. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

A character does die in the new Harry Potter book. I already knew that but don't know who it will be. I have avoided all excerpts, spoilers, and speculation about the story.

Inthacup
06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
But, what do I do when I finish?

You can finish stitching up your costume for the next Midnight Magic Party. Has your fabric shipment arrived from Dingleberry Alley yet? The word on the Harry Potter forums is that your Voldemort costume is going to be kickass.

Does the Bellagio frown on knitting at the table?

nicky g
06-18-2003, 11:53 AM
"But, what do I do when I finish?"

Find some other authors you like? Failing that, you could play cards.

HDPM
06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
"I'm going to have more fun somebody
winning 100 big bets and blowing it all at Olympic Gardens."

No you're not. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Not saying the Harry Potter won't be fun tho.

Bill Murphy
06-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Not that it matters at all, but what a lousy cover. Have you seen the gold UK one?

I'm not going to be able to read Phoenix all in one go, gonna have to take a couple weeks, actually. The other books I've had to draw out(due to military obligations), It & The Bachman Books, both by Steven King, were much enhanced by the delay. I'm gonna stay completely offline for the duration, as I believe there'll be yea clowns posting & spamming spoilers all over the Net.

FWIW I rank Prisoner & GOF right w/The Hobbit & Voyage Of The Dawn Treader for best fantasy book. Best children's books, hard to say, but I like elephants so I'll go w/Babar for number one. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I'm going to start avoiding Rowling interviews, as she seems to have the whole series planned out and also appears to be a bit overwhelmed by it, and thus a bit leaky.

My prediction is that Harry, Ron & Hermione all make it thru Book 7 alright, but that...
Hagrid, Dumbledore, & Viktor Krum don't. Viktor goes in Phoenix, saving Hermione, is my guess.

Ray Zee
06-19-2003, 01:54 PM
after you finish, find your buddy clarky and have him get a two foot long piece of two by four and beat some sense into you while you still have your faculties.