PDA

View Full Version : Help in fixing a major leak!

11-06-2005, 10:42 AM
In reviewing poker tracker and comparing my stats to those given in the micro guidelines I see that I have one overwhelming leak. Greatfully though I see that it is my only major leak.

I see that I tend to be way too loose in the SB with a VPIP in SB of about 42%. The guidlines recommend between 25-35. I guess this means I am way too loose, and am no able to recognize my weak position and fold marginal hands.

What I am asking is, what standards do you use when playing in the small blind, specifically with out a raise ahead of you? I think I am generally tight when there is a raise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I have this problem too, so I thought about it a ton and wrote something down on paper to try to discipline myself.

It's super-dependent on who limped ahead of you and how aggressive the BB is. Weak players limping and passive BB gives you more lattitude obviously than better players who would be later to act than you once play starts and/or a BB who likes to pop a lot.

Curious how this plays out to the forum:

Raise hands that are good enough to open-raise with from early position. Call hands that are good enough to call with from late position, but discard the little unsuited broadway hands if more than two players are in the hand. With a raise in front, play it like early position against a raise, but look at calling with pocket pairs if pot odds are favorable.

HajiShirazu
11-06-2005, 01:12 PM
I'll just give you mine for 1/2 sb and bb isn't crazy: (subject to change I don't really have a chart or anything)
HU:
Ax K6 Q8 J9 T9 98 44 Kxs Q5s J7s T8s 98s 87s 76s 65s (all raise)
1 limper:
Ax K8 QT JT T9 A/K/Qxs 22 J7s T7s all lower suited connectors and 1 gaps to 64s
2-3 limpers:
A9 KT QT JT Jxs+ all 2 gaps suited conn, any pair
4+ limpers:
A9 KT QT JT T9 98 xxs any pair

Redd
11-06-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Greatfully though I see that it is my only major leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be helpful in your development as a poker player to realize that this almost certainly isn't your only major leak. Even if you've played a sufficiently large number of hands for your PT numbers to converge (this number is typically underestimated), there are many major leaks that don't show up in one's stats.

bozlax
11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see that I tend to be way too loose in the SB with a VPIP in SB of about 42%.
I think I am generally tight when there is a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to do a little more research into this question. I don't see how you can not be playing in the SB with a raise in front a lot with a VPIPSB of 42.