PDA

View Full Version : Preflop Raise Size and starting to Pushbot

Doc
11-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I know everyone hates general posts, but here goes...

For the 800 chip tourneys (22's) on party, do you have a standard raise of 3xbb, 4xbb etc? If not, how do you make your determination? Does your formula/mutliplier decrease as blinds go up?

Also, when do you start to pushbot. My intrepretation from HOH 2 is that you should start considering pushing at 7.5 bb with any 2. This seems more aggressive than the conventional wisdom here, but I am looking for guidance.

Any general posts on pushbotting and learning to pushbot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies,

Doc

splashpot
11-06-2005, 08:30 AM
If you're looking for guidance, ask something specific. Seriously. A generalized answer will only hurt your game becuase you'll inevitably use it in the wrong situation.

11-06-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the 800 chip tourneys (22's) on party, do you have a standard raise of 3xbb, 4xbb etc? If not, how do you make your determination? Does your formula/mutliplier decrease as blinds go up?

[/ QUOTE ]I think there are standard amounts which take into consideration position and possible limpers in front of you. But, I doubt very much that it is important to figure out whether 2.7314 BB or 3.2163 BB is best.

I have found (on PS where starting stacks are 1500) that early-level raises need to be a bit bigger than mid- or late-level raises to carry the same respect. Raising to 2.5 BB in level one doesn't scare many players off -- many who would have limped, will call your raise to 2.5 BB. In later rounds, a raise to 2.5 BB will often be enough to thin the field or steal the pot.

My raises in early rounds tend to be 3-5 BB, my raises in later rounds tend to be 3 BB. But, also remember that your objectives may have changed, too. In the early rounds you might be interested in getting involved in a few hands and building a little bit of a pot. In later rounds you might be interested only in picking up the blinds. Since the objectives may be changing, a straight comparison isn't really that useful