PDA

View Full Version : Advice with this hand? Pocket fives with overcards flop.

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 05:23 AM
Was folding preflop the best play? How to play this hand on flop? Thanks all. I don't have much info on villain. I'm wondering if on the flop I am supposed to auto-bet even though there's overcards, since I was preflop raiser. Can someone tell me what would go on in your head When you're in the position i'm in??

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>,

Nick C
11-06-2005, 05:26 AM
You need to fix the action in the hand post. I can't tell what's going on.

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 05:29 AM
what's wrong with the action? Is the hand illegible? Let me edit it if I can.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-06-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what's wrong with the action? Is the hand illegible? Let me edit it if I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5, 5.
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls, 3 folds, Hero raises, 1 folds, CO calls, 3 folds.

Nick C
11-06-2005, 05:32 AM
I don't know what's wrong exactly, but you have Hero and CO acting repeatedly preflop.

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 05:33 AM
Aww [censored] I should drop this program and just use bison's converter. Hopefully I fixed it.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-06-2005, 05:34 AM
There are more or less the hardesr decisions to make, but due to the coordinated nature of the board I give up here.

Nick C
11-06-2005, 05:36 AM
I think taking a stab at the flop is okay. Maybe Villain will fold 99 or 88 or something, and you wouldn't really mind if he folded a two-outer (such as pocket 4's either), since he has so much potential to steal the pot away from you if you check.

After I got called, though, I think I'd just give up. Villain could have reasonably called the flop with a hand you're still ahead of, it's true, but there are lots of ways you could be behind and lots of ways you could go on to lose even if you're not behind. Betting also opens you up to a semi-bluff raise that you can't call. It's just a very uncomfortable spot.

BoxLiquid
11-06-2005, 05:51 AM
thanks alex and nick. After taking a look at that board. I can see now that giving up would be the best play on the turn. Playing pocket fives OOP is super tough.

11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Maybe it's ok at 20/40, or 9 handed, but my first reaction was "Why do we open from MP2 with pocket fives?". If anyone has any kinda hands or the blinds defend at all, we're behind from the start with 32 overcards against us, too many chances to get trapped...

Once we're involved, since it's HU, we should go ahead and bet the flop, but there are two playing zone cards in this flop, we're probably looking at two outs already, so I think we release to any aggression. When the turn came fourth overcard to us and put a double belly up, I'd say we check-muck.

SNOWBALL138
11-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Everything looks fine except for the preflop raise. When I see PF lines like this my first thought is, "Am I totally missing something?" Then my second thought is usually "No, its just that this line is no good." IMO, you need 77 to open raise here.

Optisizer
11-06-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't think you should raise with this hand from MP. Reason being, by raising you will shut out exactly those hands that are supposed to pay you off when you make a set. By only calling, the two most likely scenarios are: you get several callers behind you, in which case you most likely need a set to win. Checking after the flop and watching the betting and calling back to you again will advice you on this; or you get just a few (or just one) caller behind you, in which case you 55 might hold up unimproved. Most likely, if your single opponent didn't rasie, he is on draw, or have a low pp himself. You will find out by betting out, or more boldly check raising on the flop, or more boldly still, check call on the flop, then bet out or check raise on the turn.
In your case all board cards are higher than your fives, of which at least the T and Q is likely holdings for your opponent together with an A. I would release on the turn.
/T