PDA

View Full Version : A guy without looking at his cards keeps re-raising the pot

broadcrawford
11-06-2005, 01:31 AM
In a home game tonight I came across a very interesting situation. We are five handed playing .10/25 cent pot-limit hold-em or Omaha. Villian is a complete donk maniac and has had to rebuy (25 dollars) three times from hands he has lost to me. Some background info on villian. I am his superior at work and he is constantly trying to prove that he is better then everyone at any giving task. It could be foosball, our profession, any current topic of discussion, and once a week, it's poker. He's not an ass about anything, just always trying to best everyone in any given task/situation/conversation. This should be enough background about villian and his motivations. If anyone needs more please let me know.

As for the hand, I am on the button and dealt A Q and raise the pot making it a 1.50 to go. Villian, re-raises without looking at his cards. Everyone folds and I call. Flop comes rainbow 2, 4 5. He pot bets. I re-raise pot and he re-raises back. This is where I instanly made the decesion to keep re-raising until he is all in. The turn is a queen and the river a king. Knowing you are ahead pre-flop against any random two cards did I do the right thing when I missed. Or should I have just laid it down on the flop. I knew I was gambling, but I had every right to think I was ahead. It was a very interesting hand.

UATrewqaz
11-06-2005, 01:38 AM
This person has a severe inferiority complex.

kyro
11-06-2005, 01:53 AM
You were clearly a larger favorite PF then you were on the flop given his range of hands (any two) and yet you chose to put all the money in on the flop as opposed to PF. Why?

broadcrawford
11-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Looking back, I agree. Should have done the raising war pre-flop. However this is what I ran through my head to determine wether I should make my move now.

Any pocket pair - 16/1
AK suited or offsuit - 82/1
At least a pair (using your pocket cards) from two non-pair cards - 2.1/1
A set - 8.3/1 (10.8%)

11-06-2005, 03:52 AM
According to PokerStove, against a random hand you were 65/35 preflop and 53/47 on the flop (approx).

WordWhiz
11-06-2005, 02:37 PM
If villain is willing to go all in without looking at his cards, you should be able to find even better situations to get all your money into the pot than a 53/47 favorite. Even on this hand, you could have done so by going all in preflop or just calling on the flop and waiting to see whether the turn/ river improved your hand.

In theory, you should always be willing to put your money in as the favorite, but in the real world, time is limited, your money is limited, villain's money is limited, etc.

Isn't this sort of like the situation in TPFAP where you have to pass up a +EV bet on a coin flip w/ your last dollar, because you know that tomorrow someone will offer you an even better gamble?

benkahuna
11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Push more on the flop, try to push in on that beautiful turn, tptk and an inside str8 draw, don't know what more you could want.

11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I hope he showed you A,3.