PDA

View Full Version : Top 2-pair on 2-tone flop in unraised pot

Jacques
11-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Online 10/20 NL 9-handed, villain and I both have about $2600. Villain is 25/4 and gets to showdown 19% of the flops, he doesn't raise often on the flop (2.75% based on 1600 hands in PT). I didn't know villain besides the stats I had on him.

Someone posts in 5th position and villain limps in 4th. Button and small blind limp as well.I check in the big blind with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop ( pot $100)
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks
Hero bets $95
Villain min raises to $190
2 folds
Hero calls

I was uncertain of what to do. I thought he could have a set, a flush draw or an ace.

Turn (Pot $480)
10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero checks
Villain bets $700

What should be my plan and is calling the raise good on the flop?

scdavis0
11-05-2005, 08:47 PM
My default play is to call and then lead into the turn for about 2/3 pot.

11-05-2005, 08:50 PM
There are various merits to the two ways to play the flop, but I think folding to that $700 turn bet is a good way to play the turn.

creedofhubris
11-05-2005, 11:10 PM
You can't call the turn bet.

Kirkrrr
11-05-2005, 11:31 PM
You got top two and the backdoor nut flush draw, so there's no reason to believe you don't have the best hand, 'pecially after the weak raise. I 3-bet the flop to 500, which should take it down a good percentage of the time (OOP, I will settle for that a lot of times). Barring a re-raise, bet the turn for about 350ish. I like it better than a turn check-raise as it keeps the pot manageable, and you're dictating its size rather than him, as he did after you checked.

On the turn, I think your only choices are fold or push, and I vote for pushing, but it shouldn't have played out that way.

Kirk

Jacques
11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Thank for the comments so far. Here is what my thinking was.

During the hand I decided against a 3-bet because with the money still left behind I thought he may call with a flush draw or a set and leave me in a situation where the pot is large and I do not know where I stand out of position.

I felt that by smooth calling the raise I may make some more money from an Ace that put me on a flush draw. I was planning to check/call on the turn and fold to a large bet on the river since I didn't think he would bluff in that case (against someone who can bluff in this case this is probably a bad line). The overbet on the turn changed that.

I am still unsure about my plan of action from the flop onward and welcome ideas. I'll post results later.

ryanghall
11-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I also advocate a 3bet on the flop here. I think I'm calling a push.

If he has 33, you at least have 4 outs. Most of the time you're obviously ahead and will take it down on the flop. If he calls, make a sizeable turn bet on a non-flush card.

Ryan

Jacques
11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
I pushed, he called and showed A3 of spades.

fsuplayer
11-07-2005, 10:38 AM
pretty standard.

nh.

AceHiStation
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pushed, he called and showed A3 of spades.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time I'm posting what I put villain on before I read through. How do people say "You can't call that turn bet"? Honestly, A3 is something you're going to see a lot here, AT is also a possibility but A3 seems more likely. On the flop I was thinking flush draw was a good possibility or a hand like AJ/AT hoping to check-check the turn. Given his turn bet, this seems like a confused bet. Villain seems to have fallen in love with his hand, but by the size of his bet you can almost tell he doesn't feel 100% safe. I think I stick it in there on the turn everytime.

psuasskicker
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
During the hand I decided against a 3-bet because with the money still left behind I thought he may call with a flush draw or a set and leave me in a situation where the pot is large and I do not know where I stand out of position.

I felt that by smooth calling the raise I may make some more money from an Ace that put me on a flush draw.

Why not try check raising the flop, then?

I definitely would have three bet the flop, only not to $500...that looks a bit weak to me. I'd have made it $800 which makes it very tough for him to call with any two cards. It's a $610 raise to call with $1,090 in the pot. He can't call with a flush draw, and I think he pushes with any set. I likely push on almost any turn.

Given his turn bet, this seems like a confused bet. Villain seems to have fallen in love with his hand, but by the size of his bet you can almost tell he doesn't feel 100% safe. I think I stick it in there on the turn everytime.

I do agree the overbet seems a bit confusing, especially in relation to the small flop raise. Looks almost to me like a flush draw or a huge hand, and frankly I think A3 is a stupid hand to play in the fashion villain did.

I'm not sure if I'd just smooth call that turn or not. My guess is that if he's on a worse hand here, he'll bet again on the river if you just call; but he's got a chance to get off a worse hand with your raise. I think any AT type hand has to fold to an all in, and A3 - which I agree is a strong possibility - is a hand that can get off pretty easily.

Villain played this one really badly.

- C -