PDA

View Full Version : Pirates attack cruise ship

otctrader
11-05-2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9932838/

Arrrrrrrr; it would be priceless if they had a graphic of some dude with an eye patch firing a grenade launcher from an inflatable raft.

diebitter
11-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Heh. When I heard this on the news an hour ago, I immediately thought of OOT.

11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Over/under on the time it takes til we're sailing on armed cruise ships? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Michael Davis
11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
This is exactly what I expected when Party cut off the skins.

-Michael

11-05-2005, 07:37 PM
WTF kind of cruise was that?

We're going on an East African cruise. Madagascar, Tanzania, the Seychelles and Somalia! I'm really excited!

Arnfinn Madsen
11-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Somalia is really a messed up country. A Somali company once contacted me asking me to propose a solution for building out some infrastructure in Somalia. It had one unusual challenge, no functioning national electricity grid exists, so to avoid having to maintain generators the solution had to work without electricity. What surprised me, sort of, was that the people I discussed with had extensive technical knowledge and seemed to be excellent businesspeople. Bad luck for them to grow up in such a messed up-country.

tonypaladino
11-05-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Over/under on the time it takes til we're sailing on armed cruise ships? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are more weapons an a cruise ship than you would think. A crew of 10-20 officers and 50 secuity personell may have to control a population of 2k+ in an emergency.

EliteNinja
11-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh man. That's just scary.
Such a scary world we live in nowadays.

Cruise ships truly need their own clans of ninja to defend against pirates.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-05-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are more weapons an a cruise ship than you would think. A crew of 10-20 officers and 50 secuity personell may have to control a population of 2k+ in an emergency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, their combined maneuverability, other methods they have and firepower meant that the pirates had little chance of actually succeding in a fight. I guess they tried to scare the ship into surrender.

wonderwes
11-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Quick someone raise the fox news terror update alert system. Sound the alarms.

DougShrapnel
11-05-2005, 10:41 PM
This pirate walks into a bar with a big ship's wheel down his pants. The bartender says, "Excuse me, sir, but do you know you have a ship's wheel down the front of your pants?"
And the pirate says...
Aaargh, it's driving me nuts!!

Blarg
11-06-2005, 08:11 AM
15 incidents between March and August. Sheesh.

I read an interesting article on piracy last year. Apparently it's pretty big in southeast Asia. Very scary too, since the normal thing is to kill everyone on board, though sometimes they'll hold people for ransom. But basically they're after the ship and its cargo. And they'll paint the ship at sea with a new name, different colored smokestacks, whatever. Getting false papers isn't a big deal. And there's always someone who will buy the cargo. Register the ship in some out of the way country and it's not very hard to get away with.

There are terrorist worries to this, too. A nuke in a big port could cripple a county and a state, and have substantial effects on the whole country. And there's virtually no way to be sure that ships coming in are relatively safe.

Talk2BigSteve
11-06-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9932838/

Arrrrrrrr; it would be priceless if they had a graphic of some dude with an eye patch firing a grenade launcher from an inflatable raft.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I clicked on the link and the advertisement was for Prevacid and it said "Feels like a fireball in your chest."

Now that is funny!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

DcifrThs
11-06-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
“Our suspicion at this time is that the motive was theft,”

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY ARE [censored] PIRATES YOU IDIOTS...WTF DID YOU THINK THEIR MOTIVE WAS???

Barron

Blarg
11-06-2005, 10:34 AM
For pirates? Buggery, of course.

BadBoyBenny
11-06-2005, 10:59 AM
My thought is that is many (American & European) tourists were murdered, it would not be as easy for them to get away with it.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Not really true. Pirates in Asia have been around for years and many are very successful and have bribes going with local officials. They're as much a part of their communities as anyone, and that's where they spend a lot of their loot. Piracy has since time immemorial been a big boost to local economies. And most people overlook the murders of people of different skin colors or religions pretty easily. I don't doubt in Somalia the situation is no different. They hate us there. Americans could raise all the stink they want and it would only make them hate us more.

But even if the local officials want to try to stop piracy, it takes a ton of funding. Most places don't have the money to commit to that sort of thing. The ocean is just too vast and out of control to really monitor well even for the most powerful countries in the world.

Mason Hellmuth
11-06-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A hurricane in a big port could cripple a county and a state, and have substantial effects on the whole country.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true.

wacki
11-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Cruiser liners should seriously consider arming themselves. If a cruise ship gets hijaked and everyone is slayed it would be catastrophic to the industry. It wouldn't take much to defend the ships. Three browning 50 cal machine guns or three M242 Bushmaster's (one for port, starbard, and aft) would be more than enough I would think. The guns are too big to use against the crew (especially the bushmaster) and they could easily sink small ships.

Something like this could be easily hidden and broken out when needed:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4268/250pxmk3811gn.jpg
or this
http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/8819/50calcrewl8fz.jpg

Then again, arming the ships may be bad for the industry but still. If they are going where there is even a remote chance of pirates, give they could use some form of defense other than speed.

Mason Hellmuth
11-06-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cruiser liners should seriously consider arming themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are more weapons an a cruise ship than you would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
11-06-2005, 01:51 PM
I missed that post, but ya, I thought of that later on. They might have to control a mutiny and all....

Blarg
11-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Especially if Humphrey Bogart is the captain.

wacki
11-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I wonder if people on the ship did return fire. Carnival may not of wanted that in the papers but it certainly could of happened.

EDIT:

[ QUOTE ]
Especially if Humphrey Bogart is the captain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over my head.

Blarg
11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Fun Bogart part (http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=343734&trkid=189530)