PDA

View Full Version : $650 Stars 1st hand....

AZK
11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
UTG minraises, 2 callers, MP makes it 300, 1 caller afterwards. You are in the SB with JJ. Action? This is the first hand, you recognize zero people at your table. 2.5k stacks.

11-05-2005, 06:25 PM
What are the blind sizes?

If they are 10/20, I fold this.

Toddy
11-05-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG minraises, 2 callers, MP makes it 300, 1 caller afterwards. You are in the SB with JJ. Action? This is the first hand, you recognize zero people at your table. 2.5k stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my worst nightmare.. $650 alot of money to go out immediately. I wouldn't call. I think its a push or a fold. It would be awful to call and see an overcard come out. I think I'd push here. Tough though

Toddy
11-05-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it I think Id' wait for a better spot. Too many people are interested in this. If you push you'll get called and bet 55/45 at best.

AtlBrvs4Life
11-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't think the buy-in being large should effect your play, except when judging the caliber of players. I would definitely fold here. If undercards flop to your JJ, what do you plan to do then? You could get yourself in a lot of trouble unless you hit a J. Also, you never know if UTG is going to reraise. For me, not worth the risk with blinds so small.

11-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I fold /images/graemlins/frown.gif. It's too likely that UTG will raise here to call, and the pot odds + implied odds aren't wonderful anyway. Push seems to only get you called by QQ+,AK, so seems stupid.

Sorry to hijack: How do we play AK here?

AZK
11-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The $650 is meaningless. The buyin doesn't affect your decision.

The UTG minraise is a donk play, it's not the nuts, this was the last thing on my mind.

I opted for the gamble early or go home method. I called, knowing I would fold if an A or K hit, and check-raise all in if it didn't. It came low, I check-raised all in, got insta-called by Aces, and was out by 5:02 PM. 2nd to last knock out. A new personal best.

Edit: Does it make any sense that I would not have played this hand this way if it were say the sunday 500k?

ClaytonN
11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I can't bring myself to gamble with queens here, let alone jacks.

benneh
11-05-2005, 06:41 PM
bad play. what would your action be if you had tens? would you still think your overpair was good if the flop came 8 high?

11-05-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The UTG minraise is a donk play, it's not the nuts, this was the last thing on my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you know that an UTG minraise often means AA. Granted, TJs and the like are also in his range, but QQ+ is very likely to be out after an UTG miniraise and a reraise.

Granted, I don't play your stakes, but I think the higher stakes just make it more likely that the miniraiser is aware enough of his position to not do this JTs.

Given that MP often thinks this too and stll reraises makes his range pretty tight. I think one of them has a higher PP a good % of the time.

AZK
11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
UTG minraise = AA in tourney poker?!!?! Are you [censored] serious? I'm being completely honest here. This is not known to me.

11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Raise/Re-raise, JJ is usually no good.. and considering it is the first hand, there's plenty of time to play poker.

ClaytonN
11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Granted, I don't play your stakes, but I think the higher stakes just make it more likely that the miniraiser is aware enough of his position to not do this JTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh

11-05-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG minraise = AA in tourney poker?!!?! Are you [censored] serious? I'm being completely honest here. This is not known to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus on this forum is that donks frequently miniraise AA. Again, that's not the only holding they can have, but I'm definitely more wary of an UTG miniraise than an UTG standard raise.

Roman
11-05-2005, 06:51 PM
this is an easy fold... I cant believe you got stacked here.

AZK
11-05-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking to gamble. I know, I suck. Me = deadmoney.

BobboFitos
11-05-2005, 06:59 PM
http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/sparkers/artist_book/final_fold.gif

Roman
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
:P you live you learn

Exitonly
11-05-2005, 07:35 PM
i'm with you that UTG minraise doesnt mean much, but there is a bit too much action in this pot for me... so yea i fold.

Who had the AA? i missed it if you included it.

bugstud
11-05-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking to gamble. I know, I suck. Me = deadmoney.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah. not true.

betgo
11-05-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The $650 is meaningless. The buyin doesn't affect your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does. I instafold this in a $650 tournament. In a $10 rebuy or a freeroll, I push.

pooh74
11-05-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus on this forum is that donks frequently miniraise AA. Again, that's not the only holding they can have, but I'm definitely more wary of an UTG miniraise than an UTG standard raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no general consensus on this forum that a min-raise from UTG on first hand of a tourney is often AA!!! Unless of course you are referring to a poster whose handle is "The General Consensus" who says this...

This turns out to be AA, close to, never...the reraise from MP to 300 is where the range tightens to about top 5 hands. (usually)

AZK
11-06-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm with you that UTG minraise doesnt mean much, but there is a bit too much action in this pot for me... so yea i fold.

Who had the AA? i missed it if you included it.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG and the cold callers folded, the big raiser had AA.

adanthar
11-06-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This turns out to be AA, close to, never...the reraise from MP to 300 is where the range tightens to about top 5 hands. (usually)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much.

If this was 10/20 and you had no reads on anyone, would you coldcall JJ OOP to a UTG donk raise/presumed TAG reraise? I wouldn't, but I don't play 10/20.

AZK
11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this was 10/20 and you had no reads on anyone, would you coldcall JJ OOP to a UTG donk raise/presumed TAG reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i'd instamuck. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif