PDA

View Full Version : Worst injury/injuries you've sustained?

bdk3clash
11-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Looking back on my life I've been incredibly lucky in terms of doing lots of stupid stuff and not getting seriously injured. I've really only had two serious injuries, the most recent being about 14 years ago.

When I was five I was playing on the monkey bars and fell and landed awkwardly on my arm, breaking my wrist and having to wear a full-length cast for a few months.

When I was a a freshman in high school I got popped helmet-first on my chin during football practice and got a pretty nasty gash, a concussion, and a crooked chin.

Let's hear about your injuries in all their nasty glory. Mine are pretty pathetic.

HtotheNootch
11-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Knee injury playing football. One guy going one way hit my lower leg. Another guy going the other way hit my upper leg. Torn cartilage, grade two injuries to the ligaments, chipped lateral femoral condyle (which then proceeded to slice my remaining cartilage).

pokerdirty
11-05-2005, 05:05 PM
try here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3443266&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

11-05-2005, 05:06 PM
3 yrs old. thought I could fly. got the bedsheet and everything.

two missing teeth (baby teeth, thank god), concussion and broken leg.

after than, learning how to skateboard, tried to impress a chick with a 9-stair, racked myself, slid on my nuts down the rail till the bump on the end, nearly ruptured one.

after that I stuck to bball, where my worst injury is a cracked rib.

11-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Fell off my bike while mtn biking at 16. Shattered my left wrist. The Xrays rock. I have a plate and 3 screws in it, and a scar the looks like I decided to go down the road, not across the street. Its a good conversation starter. This one time, I took a razor blade...

I was with out with buddies of mine, and we were [censored] up beyond all recognition. One of my friends decided it would be really cool to put his foor through a nearby plate glass window.

He succeeded. And when he pulled his leg back out through said broken window, he flayed his calf wide open. An 8" piece of calf was just hanging off his leg, flappin there whenever he took a step. That's got to be the grossest/coolest thing I've ever seen, when it comes to injuries. It sorta looked like pork.

We got him to a hospital and he got all stitched up. The scar is amazing.

SackUp
11-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Tore my ACL and Meniscus playing football my senior year of high school.

The rehab was ridiculous. Totally worth it though as I was able to recover and play 4 years of football in college.

MrTrik
11-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I took a nasty blind-side hit in a hockey game once. After the hit, I hit the side glass near the bench. Broken ribs and a punctured lung. Ended my hopes of being an AF fighter pilot. Also ended any distant dreams of playing big time college hockey. And it sucked in general.

bdk3clash
11-05-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3443266&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, if I ever want to read responses to the different question asked in that thread I'll check it out.

PITTM
11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
i tore my ACL(not the one in your knee, the one in your shoulder). i also partially tore my achillies tendon. both of those hurt A LOT.

rj

pokerdirty
11-05-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, if I ever want to read responses to the different question asked in that thread I'll check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

dick. apparently you didn't read very far.

11-05-2005, 05:40 PM
First grade, I was fighting over the front seat with a friend. I got it, and he accidently slammed the car door on my thumb. The LOCKED car door. It was in there a good twenty seconds before someone was able to open the door. My thumb was just shattered. And if my thumb had been about an inch higher, the lock head would have gone through it and I would now be minus one thumb. It was a close call.

Phoenix1010
11-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I've actually never broken anything in my life, despite years of sports. The worst I've gotten was in tenth grade during the first day of basketball tryouts when I sprained my shooting thumb. The second day I wrapped it up and played left handed, and then I sprained my left thumb. So for the last three days I couldn't shoot beyond a layup and could only dribble with my palms, and everything I did hurt. I still made the team though.

tom441lbk
11-05-2005, 05:58 PM
just a broken arm, nothing cool

ClaytonN
11-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Heavy concussion + lost 3 teeth playing rugby / smear the queer. Couldn't play football after that. that was gay.

The concussion was the variety where I was basically in a dreamworld but to everyone else I was conscious and babbling. The experience has since given me a "too drunk" phobia. HAH.

nothumb
11-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Broke whatever the really big bone in your thigh is. Got tackled by a big kid and landed between him and a ditch full of big pointy rocks.

Been stabbed too, but that didn't end up being as serious as it sounded.

NT

Crimson
11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Dislocated 3 ribs and 2 vertebre (sp?) - Swing Dancing
Broke my wrist - Playing Monopoly
Broke my ancle - stepping on a pine cone (purposfully)
Took a broken metal antena from a radio to my right eye ball - while i was sleeping.
Pushed into a tree the branch perferated my ear drum - playing 2 hand touch.

And a myriad of other alliments, all gotten from less than glorious activities.

joshman1204
11-05-2005, 06:35 PM
hmm where to start ...

6 concussions doing a variety of stupid things.
18 stitches in my head at 5 years old after hitting a fence post on a dirtbike.
another 20 stitches at 10 years old cause I dove and hit the bottom of a pool.
broken nose twice when I was 16, once due to an airchair accident and the other a dirtbike accident.
3 broken ribs at 18 after slipping while cliff jumping and landing way wrong.
blew my right knee all to [censored] at 19 while skiing in park city and smacking a tree.

There is more to list but I dont have time right now.

TomHimself
11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
tore acl in knee playing basketball

InchoateHand
11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Concussions, lots of lacerations, cracked my lacrimal bone landing on my face, the usual runners aches and pains---bursitis, heel spurs. My teeth are pretty much swiss cheese at this point (don't do drugs kids). [censored] up fingers on my right hand, partially helped by surgery. Lots of internal maladies---fatty liver, scarred up lungs from double-pneumonia, etc. etc.

That said, other than my fingers and my face, I've never broken a bone in my body, and neither of those really count, because they aren't exactly cast situations. I've also been lucky, given my former propensity towards abysmally stupid behaviour.

Punker
11-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I was hit by a car when I was 15 and my left ankle was utterly destroyed. Multiple screws to hold it back together and cast for months. I wasn't right again for nearly a year. Lucky I didn't step out 2 seconds earlier or it wouldn't have just been my lead leg getting hit.

banditbdl
11-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I got blown up while doing research in a Chemistry lab in undergrad and had skin grafts on over half of my body and a 3-month hospital stay. That was pretty bad.

BCPVP
11-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Nothing really serious:
Broken arm (humerus) playing 2 hand touch football on frozen ground in 8th grade. The fall didn't hurt as bad as when the guy who tackled me tried to lift me up by the broken arm! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

1" scar next to my nose after being bitten by a dog. Totally my fault. I was 3 and while petting it tried to touch it's eye. I got what I had coming...

RunDownHouse
11-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Broken ankle in high school ball. It broke the growth plate, and the docs thought I might have some growth left in me, so its got two pins in it to this day.

I broke the same ankle again when i was in Germany about 5 years later. The docs took an xray, and then came back in to ask me what the [censored] was in my ankle. Those two docs then proceeded to call in about 4 more to show them the xrays, and have me explain the whole thing over again. I know those guys had to have been trained in that stuff before, but it honestly seemed like they were amazed and had never seen such a thing. Definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for the health care over there.

TheMainEvent
11-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Broken Nose. I've been pretty lucky. And I drink a lot of milk.

edtost
11-05-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or better yet, here (http://quarterlifecrisis.com/).

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nick-Zack
11-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Below knee amputation of my right leg. My dad was driving a riding lawnmower and somehow I ended up with my foot under it.

pokerdirty
12-02-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i did call you a dick. oops. i apologize for these actions /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Evan
12-02-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i did call you a dick. oops. i apologize for these actions /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, best introduction ever over dinner tonight. "You're P. Dirty, you called me a dick."

pokerdirty
12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, best introduction ever over dinner tonight. "You're P. Dirty, you called me a dick."

[/ QUOTE ]

not as bad as being belittled for not being attractive enough to be a receptionist. which, ladies, is a complete lie.

12-02-2005, 01:16 AM
I've been lucky, no serious breaks.
The most painful was a seperated shoulder. Hurt like hell. The shoulder is still weaker than normal.

A_C_Slater
12-02-2005, 01:16 AM
I once nailed my thumb to my hand with a nail gun on accident.

MrFeelNothin
12-02-2005, 01:19 AM
broken toe. though im not actually sure it was broken.

12-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Some pencil neck retard at the gym was trying to look all "hard" by carrying a 45 lb. barbell weight in each hand. His pansy grip couldn't handle it though and he ended up dropping one on my foot and broke two toes.

I guess that isn't my worst injury though. I also fell out of a tree fort when i was 8 and broke my leg.

EMcWilliams
12-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Broke my upper arm trying to do a tumblesault down a medal slide...
Broke my foot by jumping on the bed and running in the house
Tore my shoulder muscle celebrating the 1998 Yankees
Broke each finger in my hands combined on separate occusions. (Thumb-hammer Index- Dresser, Middle- sliding into second Ring and Pinky- dropped a weight on it.

swede123
12-02-2005, 02:08 AM
I've been pretty lucky in terms of injuries. Broken collar bone, dislocated jaw, various degree of road burn etc. from multiple bicycle accidents.

My most severe health concern happened when I was about one year old; I had bacterial meningitis and apparently almost died. Good stuff!

Swede

aragorn_i
12-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Had my entire eyebrow area above my left eye opened by a nasty elbow while playing water polo.Was knocked out cold and sank to the bottom of the 12 foot pool and had to be given mouth.Final score 45 stitches and mouth to mouth from a guy.

mj12
12-02-2005, 02:17 AM
2spiral fractues in leg= 3 1/2 months in cast
tore ligament in foot 2x
rock climbing rock fell on head =stitches
brother nails me above eye with croquet mallet=stitches
papercut=bandaid for an hour

i feel manly now

NotMitch
12-02-2005, 02:26 AM
I sprained my ankle. Ive been lucky.

Dudd
12-02-2005, 02:28 AM
I gotten stitches multiple times, that's about it though. Have played 7 years of football, lots of basketball, soccer, etc, yet never had a major injury. Just lucky I guess.

Duke
12-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Shattered both wrists. Casts for 2 months.
Broke an ankle in basketball practice, played a full game on it the next day, cast for 2 months.

~D

Weatherhead03
12-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Broke my ankle the first time in Grade 10..practiced on it for a few days until it was too swollen to move. Tore my left ankle up in Grade 11. Broke my right ankle again in Grade 12. Walked around on it again until I couldnt move it.

My ankles hate me.

NutCrackerr
12-02-2005, 10:49 AM
10 years old, just get to the top of a 16 foot slide, foot slips, i go down, never let go of the handles, hit every step onthe way down with my chin biting through my lower lip, 1 broken ankle.

mslif
12-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Six ribs broken which went through both my lungs resulting in two collapsed lungs in addition to have my femur broken and a double compound fracture of the lower leg. Yes, it sucked.

noggindoc
12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

12-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Driving home one night, I blew a tire going 40, and lost control, rammed the back of a parked car. It damaged 3 other cars with the force. The top of my head went through the windshield, but I didnt notice it until after the fact. The cop looked at my windshield, and asked if I had done that or the rear view mirror, I told her I wasnt sure, she checked the top of my head there was a small cut. She asked if I think I needed to go to the hospital, I said no. The End.

B Dids
12-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Duke, how the heck to you get both wrists at once?

Madtown wins at this thread, as noted in what I assume was the earlier linked thread.

DOOMSDAY DEVICE!

I once drove a nail into my hand backwards by slamming my hand into it when it was sticking out of a wall pretending to dunk.

12-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Broken left foot (football) Broken Right Foot (Skateboarding)

7 stitches in head (ran into gymnast rings while playing hockey in phys ed)

Dislocated both thumbs (football)

Cut off small toe on left foot (was sewn back on)-hot tub accident

and the worst disclocated right ankle (basketball) it was locked sideways and I had to snap it back into place while laying in the middle of a basketball court

FishNChips
12-02-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I once nailed my thumb to my hand with a nail gun on accident .

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know it wasn't intentional.

mslif : all that in one incident?

I got hit by a pitch Soph year of HS and it busted my jaw. Fortunately not bad enough to have it wired shut, but I had a metal plate behind my bottom teath for 3 months and everything I ate had a "tinny" taste to it ... not good times. Also, it ended my ability to stand in against a good curveball and ended my ever so slight dream of college baseball.

FishNChips

mslif
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I once nailed my thumb to my hand with a nail gun on accident .

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know it wasn't intentional.

mslif : all that in one incident?

I got hit by a pitch Soph year of HS and it busted my jaw. Fortunately not bad enough to have it wired shut, but I had a metal plate behind my bottom teath for 3 months and everything I ate had a "tinny" taste to it ... not good times. Also, it ended my ability to stand in against a good curveball and ended my ever so slight dream of college baseball.

FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, all that in one accident. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
That's what happen when people don't stop at red lights and hit pedestrians.

djoyce003
12-02-2005, 05:35 PM
broken arm,
broke every finger at least once playing football except for my thumbs.

Tore my ACL (football)

had my head cut open by a fishing weight and lost nearly 2 pints of blood. Pretty gory scene seeing the artery shooting blood from my head approx 20 feet at a time. Veins that were cut sprayed a fine mist like a sprinkler. That kicked ass.

CollinEstes
12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Car wreck got sandwhiched in my brother's civic by an 18 wheeler from behind into a pick-up truck.

I factured 6 spinal processes, 2 broken ribs, and a concussion. So I literally broke my back and had to be strapped to a board for about 7 hours until I went into surgery. 48 hours later walked out of the hospital.

Bradyams
12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
In 8th grade I tried to jump a 6 foot fence by running, grabbing the top, hoisting myself up, and swinging my legs over. Well, my legs definitely hit, and I tumbled over on to my head, and on top of my left arm. I was so dizzy, and [censored] up from hitting my head that it took my friend to point out to me that my arm was broken. That's the worst I've had...I consider myself very lucky.

Frills
12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
256 stitches inner thigh, fell through glass table

-1 tip of finger, door hinge

2x broken left arm

broken right wrist, 1 screw to repair

knee reconstruction, lateral lig, 2 screws (soccer)

3 right shoulder reconstructions, bull riding

2006...possible ops on both shoulders, find out 12/5 (mon)

Vicodion addictions are teh devil to break

Diplomat
12-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Collapsed lung and broken ribs from HS wrestling.

Three-day hospital stay for several injuries after doing a header off my bike and into a fence.

2/3 of my leg covered with third degree burns after a charcoal BBQ tipped over onto me.

The worst I saw though was this guy on our HS rugby team. He was running at a guy who was standing in a slightly crouched position catching a pass, to try to tackle him. He tripped about six feet in front of the guy and fell face-first into the other guy's bent knee. Face + Knee = crushed and collapsed cheekbone. Nasty [censored], dude's face was literally caved in.

-Diplomat

David04
12-02-2005, 07:31 PM
I haven't had anything really serious, a few minor injuries.

-Tried to do a backwards cannonball when I was like 7, bottom of my chin hit the pool. Blood everywhere, six or so stitches, no more swimming for the rest of vacation.

-Stabbing holes in the top of a Gatorade bottle, when I was about 8. I missed, and stabbed myself in the hand(if you make an "L" with your hand, I stabbed myself at the corner of the L. Was pretty small cut though, didn't require stitches.

-Washing dishes, I was about 13. I had my hand inside a glass when it broke. It cut my hand(on the outside of my right hand, just below the pinky). There was a flap of skin hanging off, it was disgusting. Went to the hospital, nine stitches later I'm good as new.

-Playing street hockey when I was 14. Took a shot, fell right on my ass. Landed on my ankle, broke my ankle. Went back to school(this actually happened on the first day of sprink break) with a nice blue cast.

-My scariest injury. I was 15, and leaving a friend's house late at night. My friend was in the middle of the street, I came running down a big hill and yelled his name. He pulled out a knife and turned around. He accidentally stabbed me rigth where the wrist meets the hand. I was so scared, we thought he had hit the artery. We ran back in the house, kids parents took me to the hospital. One staple in my hand and I'm home in a few hours

-Last year, around Christmas. I'm sledding down a big hill with a creek at the bottom. I slam my head into a rock in the creek. I get up, walk home. My mom took one look at me and took me to the hospital, where I recieved 12 staples.

12-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Note: This did not happen to me thank god

When I was about 12, being a punk little kid hanging out with friends at a playground in a park near our house, two of my buddies were having a swinging/jump competition, you swing as high as you can, and then jump off the swing, furthest jump wins. Kid gets some good momentum going jumps, hits his landing, but falls back a little, and falls on his ass, no big deal. He doesnt get up though, and is just sitting there on the ground, we were like WTF you didnt even hit the ground hard, he doesnt say anything. Then he starts puking uncontrolably, everywhere. Popped his sack with a nail.

David04
12-02-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When I was about 12, being a punk little kid hanging out with friends at a playground in a park near our house, two of my buddies were having a swinging/jump competition, you swing as high as you can, and then jump off the swing, furthest jump wins. Kid gets some good momentum going jumps, hits his landing, but falls back a little, and falls on his ass, no big deal. He doesnt get up though, and is just sitting there on the ground, we were like WTF you didnt even hit the ground hard, he doesnt say anything. Then he starts puking uncontrolably, everywhere. Popped his sack with a nail.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me want to cry...when you say "pop" did it actually burst, or was it just punctured with a little hole?

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12-02-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me want to cry...when you say "pop" did it actually burst, or was it just punctured with a little hole?

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a fairly large nail. And he was 12, by pop, I mean pop.

JihadOnTheRiver
12-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I severely dislocated my right shoulder lifting weights. I was at the top of an overhead dumbbell press with 80lbs, and before I knew it, my right arm rotated 180 degrees backwards. I shredded everything and had to get a massive surgery. It ended my baseball "career" (hopes), but I got lucky. It didn't keep me out of aviation, and I healed decently enough. I just recently started doing shoulder presses again and managed to get back to well above the level I was at, working with 90-100 nowadays.

Also, I ran a motorcycle off the road at exactly 90mph. I picked up the bike and drove it home, later discovering that I had a very minor fracture of the wrist and a minor sublocation of the right ankle. So....pretty lucky I'd say.

-Jihad

David04
12-02-2005, 08:09 PM
This hurts me.

gol4pro
12-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Mauled by my neighbors dog when I was 10. ~20 stitches, blood every where, and scars still remain.

Hamish McBagpipe
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM
I was actually going to post this in the thread we had a while back about the guy with the kid whose nuts had either not fallen or gone back up.

In about grade 2 or 3 some girl in the playground kicked me so hard in the balls that they said, "[censored] this, we're out" and they just went back from whence they came. Had to have the operation. Spent about 2 weeks in the hospital and at home with my nut sack tied to my thigh to make sure they would stay where there supposed to which is a tad uncomfortable as I recall. This was about in 1980 so the old style stitches on my scrote made it look like Frankenstein's monster's sac. Everything works fine now, it was just at that age where I was still susceptible to my nuts fleeing the scene. However, you could still see the scars if you decided to shave my balls, which I'm sure you are dying to do.

GAL
12-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Fractured wrist, broken nose but the most painful had to be "torsion testicle". I was at work one day and got a felling in my lower stomach as if I had banged my balls, this got worse and worse, going from feeling like i had been kicked in the balls to feeling like someone had a hold of them and was squeezing as hard as they could.
I went to the toilet at work to have a look at them and they were pulled right up into my groin. when I came out of the toilet I could hardly walk and rang an ambulance. When I got to hospital a doctor had a look and diagnosed me with torsion testicle.
This is where the tube that feeds sperm to your balls has wrapped around one of them and is cutting off the blood supply. Before I went into surgery I had to sign a consent form saying I authorised the surgeon to remove my ball if the blood supply had been cut off for too long and it was "dead". I agreed and signed on the strict understanding that "if there's any life in it at all promise me you won't cut it off".
When I woke up I was given generous amounts of morphine,( really really nice), and found that each of my balls was held in place to my scrotum by a single stich. I vowed never to have sex again.

12-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Dislocated my knee snowboarding. Tore my ACL, MCL, PCL , LCL, menicus cartilage and severed my patella tendon all in one shot. On top of that the snowboard sliced my leg open. It hurted.

-Ernest

TheMetetron
12-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Broken jaw, chin hanging way off my face, blood everywhere... jaw wired shut for months.... that sucked.

At least I killed the bastard who did it to me. That and I get to be more like Kanye (though his stuff happened after.... the biter).

TheMetetron
12-03-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ thread