PDA

View Full Version : Set Over Set

03-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Suppose the hand played this way--

I limped early with 88, one other limper, a solid player raises and the button calls two cold. Myself and the 2nd limper call.

The flop comes AJ8r.

I check, limper checks, solid player bets, button calls, I check/raise, 2nd limper folds, solid player calls, button folds.

The turn is an off 5.

I bet, solid player raises, I re-raise, solid player caps it at 4 bets. Can I fold now?

The hand actually played out like this--

I bet the turn and the solid player just called.

The river blanked and I check/raised. (I wanted to make at least two bets on the river if my set was good, but didn't want to lose 4 bets if I bet and he raised. If this happened, I'd be inclined to 3-bet in case he had AJs and would then feel obligated to pay him off if he made it 4 bets.)

Did I play this hand poorly? And more importantly, if the hand played out like in the first scenario would I be correct to lay down bottom set for 4 bets on the turn?

03-22-2002, 03:29 PM

03-22-2002, 04:39 PM

03-23-2002, 12:26 AM
Go hang out with the Knights of which you are so fond.

03-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Most players prefer to bet out their big ace-pair hands on ace flops because they fear a no-bet flop, fear tying on thin draws by check-raising but don't really need to knock players out of action. Your check-raise is therefore a pretty good indication of a set or two pair, most likely AJ. When he raises you on the turn, he's obviosly not concerned about AJ, which makes your set look pretty weak. Call him down hoping that he has AJ, 3-betting is bad. Further aggression after he caps is really bad. Throwing it away after it's obvious you're sunk? If you're 95-99% certain, sure, but as hands like this only come up a few times a year it hardly makes much difference.