PDA

View Full Version : Tips on this type of table and a feq questions.

1800GAMBLER
06-17-2003, 07:10 PM
It's fixed limit $.5/$1 6 handed max. VERY loose and passive.

My first ever real money table playing after ages of fake money too /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. It's pretty much the same too, heh.

Erm, question: Passive generally does just mean, doesn't bet enough and calls too much? The defination is watches things go by, which could mean folds, someone clear that up for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Anyhow, these tables 80% are 100% seeing the flop. Not include me in that anyhow. 2 calling stations, Ax preflop raisers, 2nd pair always calling and any flopped pair usually betting.

I'm wondering a few tips as to how to take these tables for the max. Here's a few of my own thus far:

Suited connectors are up in value, i'm pretty much always getting my correct odds to chase these, although preflop i'm not playing the hugely small ones, i like the extra possible outs of higher ones.

Semi-bluffing and bluffing are out, they are always going to get called, over cards, 2nd pairs, high cards at show downs, are always calling.

Semi-bluffing changed to value betting, betting into most of my draws, since there are usually always 4 callers on the flop.

Righty and here's a few questions to add:

1. I'm _always_ getting 6:1 preflop, i'm making a pair 3:1. But due to the amount of players should i be betting anything other than top pair?

2. Raising to thin the field doesn't work, even from UTG. So should i only raise with AK, AA, KK, QQ? Should i start raising with JTo to put money in the pot early?

3. Starting hands. It's 6 handed, so 2nd pairs, high card on paired boards do win. So i've i'm aiming to make any pair, should i give value to medium cards like 98o playing them for their possible 2nd pair value?

The problem with that is the callers throughout, plus it's passive, making it impossible to read these players. Plus the callers are going to make 2 pair, trips, higher pairs.

Infact, should i be betting 2nd pair into a field of 5/4 other players?

These games are meant to be the easiest to beat, i'm taking a nice amount from these games, just wanting to make my game even more solid.

Thanks for all the help and the forum, oh yeah, and the books, erm, and the extra money /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

1800GAMBLER
06-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Extra question:

I'm valueing hands like 8 Jo more than K 4o in these games, although those 2 hands against each other K 4 is the favourite, i'm valueing 8 Jo more because i'd rather have 2 chances at a middle pair than 1 at a high pair. Correct? .. that's comparing those cards for their pairing ability only.

bernie
06-17-2003, 10:03 PM
stay suited...

J8o doesnt play well in this game.

if you havent, read the loose games section of HPFAP. if youve read it, reread it. it has some fantastic ways to maximize earn and minimize losses.

it's showdown poker so bluffing is out. value betting is in. use pot odds to call if you think you can improve to win. just make sure that if you improve it doesnt help anyone else.

cya

b

1800GAMBLER
06-18-2003, 03:42 AM
Here's a question regarding improving. I raised in the CO with AKs but since this is fixed it got 5 callers. now the board came J high and raggy. I'm getting pot odds of 6:1 but 8:1 improving. Fold my AK on the flop? since 5 callers someone must have paired?

2nd question is reagrding fixed limit on the paired board, i'll post the hand later. But i had 2 pair and getting bet into, so they may have trips, should i raise and if i get 3 bet fold right away or call it down? I called it down, lost, but i'm wonder the fixed limit method.

Thanks again.

rayrns
06-18-2003, 06:40 AM
The game you are describing is "loose-passive". "Loose" refers to the number 4 to 5 or higher seeing the flop and the "passive" part refers to the fact that there is not much raising pre-flop.

Muck the AKs after the flop if you don't get 2 to your suit. You are possibly behind too many hands or drawing dead.

bernie
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
the AK hand...

is anyone betting into you? if so, i would raise it. if they reraise, it depends on what the players 3 bet standards are here. many weak players will slowdown with top pair here. then it may help you take the free card on the turn.

sometimes id just call it though. but you have to watch it a little more with AK than KQ here. many play Ax so hitting your A could make 2 pair for someone else. but there's no way id be folding here for 1 bet.

2nd question...

really depends on your opponent. in general, im not folding if i dont know the player. turn bets are more definitive than the flop. i wouldnt put him on a set, per se, based on a flop bet.

b

bernie
06-18-2003, 11:30 AM
"Muck the AKs after the flop if you don't get 2 to your suit. You are possibly behind too many hands or drawing dead"

youd be losing alot of chips folding for one bet in this spot. you can also have 6 very clean outs to a win. it's a rag board, how many hands are you really behind? if it's 2 bets to you, then i may consider folding, but not for 1 getting 11+ -1 on my call.

or as louie(?) says, unless it's mother theresa betting into you.

b

1800GAMBLER
06-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies, i reread the loose passive table chapter in Psyc. of Poker that's helped me keep my cool in this game.

I've had 4 bad beats in the past hour to knock me down by about 20BB, plus the swings of the draws in this game.

bLast night/this morning i took around 60BB in about 6 hours. Last night had a maniac who dropped $80 in in less than a hour though.

I'm pretty sure i'm getting the max. out of this game although the table is changing with time. The swings on here are getting annoying with it though.