PDA

View Full Version : QJo from button - misplay flop & turn?

11-05-2005, 01:37 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

OK, I'm thinking I should have raised pre-flop with no one in the pot. After reviewing, I know that now. Post flop, SB bets out and I figured I got top pair but am vulnerable so I raise and get reraised. Should I have just called his reraise since he might have a set or a straight draw? The J comes on the turn, SB check raises me. Pulled a noob donk move and fell in love with my two pair and just kept raising. At this point should I have been pretty sure he'd made a straight?

Withholding river and results so as to not affect the comments. Will post later.

gopnik
11-05-2005, 01:44 PM
any reads? Definitely raise preflop. I probably won't cap the flop, you only have pair. I'd slowdown to a reraise on the turn and call one more on the river unless I improve to fullhouse.

KaiShin
11-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I think you put one too many bets in on both the flop and the turn.

Disconnected
11-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, raise this pre-flop.

I'd be inclined to call SB's 3-bet on the flop, since it's now just between the 2 of you. You've got TP, but he's played this aggressive, and my plan UI from here would be to call a bet or bet if checked to.

The way the hand went down, I think the turn bet/3bet is OK from you, since you now beat an overpair or any 2-pair that villain had on the flop.

Edit: I forgot to reply to the question about whether you should have been sure he made a straight on the turn. I wouldn't assume that I'm getting 3-bet HU by someone with a straight draw.

11-05-2005, 02:06 PM
No reads on the SB, seemed pretty loose as I'd seen him play limp the previous 7 or 8 hands.

stuartharris
11-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Okay, maybe this is weak of me, but . . . once the BB folds, I can see the showdown for 2.5 BB. This would be my line, even with the J on the turn. As someone else said, I don't see villain 3-betting a straight draw, making it two bets to go to the BB. If I'm beaten, it's by a set or a better queen.

Once the BB folds, I can invest 2.5 BB to possibly win 6.5 (the four in the pot and 2.5 more from villain). I think I win this often enough, especially when the J comes on the turn.

11-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Okay, here's the river:

River: (14 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

Results in white below:
<font color="white">Hero has fullhouse Jacks over Queens, Villian Turns over Tc8h for two pair Jacks and Eights. Villian was a bigger donk than me! As it turned out he was overly aggresive with bad cards. </font>

I still think I misplayed this hand badly however it turned out.