PDA

View Full Version : Flop play from the BB

Piiop
11-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Party $100 10-handed. I don't have any strong reads and no one has been doing anything notable.

I have ~110 as do all the limpers except the first limper who has ~35. The SB has ~55.

Pre: 4 limpers, SB completes, I check with 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Flop ($6) - 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks. What's your standard play here?

Tilt
11-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Try not to get too excited about it. Most of your outs are going to be better outs for those that call behind. I think I check/muck to a pot sized bet and callers behind, or check raise if I can get heads up against an aggressive player (maybe I can get him to laydown a weak draw or two pair or less). Against a TAG heads up after checking, I will call and peel a card.

joewatch
11-05-2005, 12:57 PM
With this blank rainbow board, I think it's worth a pot-bet to try to take it down. I don't mind getting it all-in if it's raised. Proceed with extreme caution if flat called and a 6 or 7 fall on the turn. A,3, 4 or 8 and you're golden.

Piiop
11-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Heh, cool - two pretty opposite responses. How much is your play affected by how you play your big made hands from EP or your other big draws from EP?

joewatch
11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, cool - two pretty opposite responses. How much is your play affected by how you play your big made hands from EP or your other big draws from EP?

[/ QUOTE ]

No affect at all. I mix up my play enough that I don't worry about how other players perceive me. Also, most players at my level aren't that observant anyway.

flawless_victory
11-06-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh, cool - two pretty opposite responses.

[/ QUOTE ]
the first response was probably a joke. no worries.

flawless_victory
11-06-2005, 04:34 PM
bet pot.
if u get multiway action, try to make the nuts, or let it go...
HU, you might just want to pound all the way... if you get there, but dont make the nuts, check and see.
maybe check/call turn, check/fold river.

beset7
11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your standard play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually lead out with a pot-sized bet.

BluffTHIS!
11-07-2005, 01:32 AM
You would actually rather the 9 wasn't there and a higher card instead so that if you make a straight with someone on the turn he isn't freerolling on you with a higher card to make a better straight on the river. And you are out of position which means that a smart opponent with virtually the same hand who makes a straight with you on the turn and just smoothcalls your bet will now be in perfect bluffing position if the board pairs or a backdoor flush comes which you don't have, and he can try to get you off a split.

And if you meet resistance with your flop bet, you would also prefer to be against a set that could not split with you on certain straights, and so that you avoid the disaster of getting allin with 9876 where 2 broadway cards come on the turn and river and he takes it down with a pair of 9s (I've seen 10K+ pots go like this in both live and online play where two slightly different wraps/draws collided). All of which shows any draw plays better in position, getting a cheap or freeplay in the blinds notwithstanding. Of course if a diamond made your straight on the turn then you usually would be the one freerolling against another similar hand.

This would be a great hand to have headsup versus a preflop raiser with aces, but could be a potential trap in an unraised pot out of position if you are not very careful and cannot read someone's play well enough to know when they are bluffing on the river when a scare card comes or when they have in fact made a better straight or flush/full.

Piiop
11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You would actually rather the 9 wasn't there and a higher card instead so that if you make a straight with someone on the turn he isn't freerolling on you with a higher card to make a better straight on the river. And you are out of position which means that a smart opponent with virtually the same hand who makes a straight with you on the turn and just smoothcalls your bet will now be in perfect bluffing position if the board pairs or a backdoor flush comes which you don't have, and he can try to get you off a split.

And if you meet resistance with your flop bet, you would also prefer to be against a set that could not split with you on certain straights, and so that you avoid the disaster of getting allin with 9876 where 2 broadway cards come on the turn and river and he takes it down with a pair of 9s (I've seen 10K+ pots go like this in both live and online play where two slightly different wraps/draws collided). All of which shows any draw plays better in position, getting a cheap or freeplay in the blinds notwithstanding. Of course if a diamond made your straight on the turn then you usually would be the one freerolling against another similar hand.

This would be a great hand to have headsup versus a preflop raiser with aces, but could be a potential trap in an unraised pot out of position if you are not very careful and cannot read someone's play well enough to know when they are bluffing on the river when a scare card comes or when they have in fact made a better straight or flush/full.

[/ QUOTE ]

..and so you would do what?

Thx for the in-depth response, btw.

BluffTHIS!
11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
In that particular hand I would have led out on the flop, but would be cautious about not getting trapped for my stack depending on what came. My post above was simply giving the considerations you need to take into account with such hands.