PDA

View Full Version : NL vs Limit and how to mix it up / paths of progress

11-05-2005, 11:17 AM
In another thread the topic came up and it seems that it is not covered in breadth anywhere. If it is please provide a link.

I suppose there are only several reasonable paths for mixing up different poker games. Because Hold'Em is so popular as opposed to other variants (Stud/Omaha) I will refer only to NL vs Limit but would appreciate any comments on those as well.

RayZee said:
[ QUOTE ]
you have no business playing no limit while learning. if you want to build a bankroll and be a winner you need to do alot of serious reading and thinking about the game. then you can play a little higher limit poker and have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that this is the most solid path for an ambitous beginner. Other lines may include grinding out the micros.

What other paths are there and do you think there are only few valid ones? What do you think of fixed timeplans for progress? Is it possible to plan progress or is it up to fortuna to decide?

11-05-2005, 05:29 PM
The psychology of the games is so different. If you're a beginner, and want to play NL, try a sit-n-go. It's not going to be exactly like a standard NL ring game, but it should give you a feel w/o messing up your bankroll.

I know I'm not yet good enough for a NL ring game so I stay far away, but I do get tired of limit ring. I try to break things up by playing in the $1.2 or $5.5 SNGs.

11-07-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have no business playing no limit while learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is somewhat confusing. What if I'm learning to be a NL player?

11-07-2005, 09:46 AM
That's the point. You should start out with Limit and then move on to NL.

With that path you'll have the advantage of learning about position, odds, etc without beeing confronted with learning about size of bets at the same time.

gergery
11-07-2005, 05:53 PM
if you want to be a NL ring player, then you should focus on that and play that. starting out at SNGs is fine for bankroll control but they are different games and you'll learn different things that you may need to unlearn.

Start at low limits and only play with money you can afford to lose. Read a bunch of books first, play tight, pay attention to position, bet the size of pot when betting, and you should be fine for the microlimits.

-g

11-08-2005, 01:29 AM
What are the best books to read on NL? And what do they cover? (Cash or Tourny)

JunkHead
11-08-2005, 06:39 PM
If you want to be a NL player, play NL. If you want to be a Limit player, play limit. If you like tourmanent poker, play SnG's. If not, stick to ring games. Find the game you enjoy playing and focus your study on that game. Grind it out on the micro-limit tables and move up as you gain experience and bankroll.

I played Limit for a while, but didn't really enjoy it so I switched to NL. Full ring was boring, so I switched to 6 Max. I'm a beginner, but so are most of the players on the .01/.02 NL 6 Max tables at PokerStars. I'm winning, in the short term, and learning about my game of choice right here on 2+2.

Do what you love and the money will come...

JunkHead