PDA

View Full Version : Over, over call for the win

casper
06-17-2003, 04:48 PM
I was playing in a loose agressive 10-20 game with only one or two familar faces and I lost this pot because I couldn't over-over call. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could have played this hand better.

Folded in me in LMP and I open raise with 77, I get three bet by a chip sprayer who raises/re-raises me every time I put chips in because I made a couple moves on him earlier. The sprayer's friend, a solid player, makes it four bets. The SB folds and the BB throws in 30, I call the cap.

The flop comes J 10 4 two hearts.

BB checks I check, sprayer bets, friend raises, bb calls, I call, sprayer calls.

Turn is another 10.

BB checks, I check, sprayer bets, his friend calls, BB calls, and I call.

The river is another 10.

BB checks, I check, Sprayer bets, Friend calls, BB calls, I put the sprayer on very little, his friend could have a hand or could just be playing against his friend aggressively, I put the bb on a real hand and muck when she over calls. Sprayer turns over AK, Friend mucks, says he had AQ, BB turns over 55 to drag the pot. Anyone have any suggestions how I could have played this hand better? Aside from not open raising with 77 in a loose game...

Thanks,
Casper the friendly, check-raising ghost.

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Consider folding pre-flop, definitely fold on the flop. 2 overcards and a solid player re-raises and you call 2 cold with an underpair and not even closing the action. Why?

andyfox
06-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Post flop: check-call; check-call; check-fold.

The best kind of action. For your opponents.

I'd either have made a move sometime, somewhere, or given up earlier.

Dante
06-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I second Andy's post. Preflop and flop play aside, if you're not going to raise the turn and just call, how can you NOT call the river (I'm assuming you called the turn because you thought your hand hand a chance of being the best, not for the 2-outer to hit a 7). You're getting 19-1 on the river call, it's more likely now no one has a 10, and one or more of the players has a good chance to have nothing.

My thinking is fold the turn or call it down.

Dante

rtrombone
06-17-2003, 06:07 PM
If the game is so loose that you have no chance of stealing the blinds, I would open-limp with 77.

At the flop, I would bet to try and get heads up with the chip sprayer. Hopefully, his raise will knock everyone else out. If it does, I check-call the turn and bet the river. Call a raise.

If you bet the flop, sprayer raises, solid 3-bets and BB calls or caps it, I think you have to lay it down. You said the sprayer is crazy, but solid and BB are not, nor do they perceive you to be. If solid and BB both cold call, I don't know, I still don't like it. They have to know there's a possibility I may reraise. I may muck right there.

If there is only one cold call after the sprayer's raise, I call and probably bet the turn, again trying to get heads up with the sprayer. If both call again, I check-fold the river if sprayer bets and the other guy calls.

This is assuming that the solid player and BB are decent players. The only way I muck the best hand here if I play as described is if they are not good at all, or if they are good enough that they can read me for trying to get heads up with the sprayer and may not have much of a hand.

elysium
06-18-2003, 12:00 AM
hi casper
when it comes back capped to you on the pre-flop, fold casper fold. you need to reread hfap and top.

casper
06-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all your comments, they re-affirmed what I was thinking in the first place- open raising 77 in a loose aggressive game is just a bad Idea. As Andy pointed out I played this hand way to passively, if I had bet on any street there is a good chance the sprayer raises knocks out the soild player and I drag the pot. This hand was in the first ten minutes of play so I didn't really know that the BB was a calling station that would pay off with almost any pair. So, I still would have had to over-call the BB which I might or might not have been able to do, but its better than having to over-over call. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks again,
Casper the friendly, check-raising ghost