PDA

View Full Version : newbie question: second kicker?

11-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi,
I just lost a hand holding A7 to AQ with the board paired JJ on Paradise. I thought with a pair the pot got split if players had the same kicker (ace in this case). Is this second kicker rule (my 7 losing to his Q) universal or site dependent? I don't think this rule is clear in Paradise's Rules of Hold Em quoted below. Sorry for the dumb question.
OneFish

Paradise's Rules of poker hands & rankings
If two or more hands are the same ranking, the winner is the one having the higher cards. For example, a Flush with an Ace high beats a Flush with a King high. If the poker hands remain tied, then the highest card not being held in common (the kicker) determines the winner. Paradise follows standard rule of poker. A poker tip of the trade is to make sure you have these hand rankings memorized. Should poker hands be absolutely identical in ranking, the rule of poker pot distribution will be split evenly between the two or more winning players. If there is an odd chip, the winning player to the left of the button/dealer will receive it. This applies to both play money and poker for real money.

SoftcoreRevolt
11-05-2005, 05:48 AM
You have to fill out a 5 card hand.

So if the board was JJ26K You play JJAK7.

Your opponent plays JJAKQ. His hand is best.

La Brujita
11-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Universal rule.

memphis57
11-05-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the highest card not being held in common (the kicker) determines the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

You both have JJA, so your 7 and his Q are the kickers. Note, however, that if the board were JJ22 you would tie, as you never go to a 6th card as a tie breaker -it's everybody's best 5.

XXXNoahXXX
11-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Just so you know, cause its a similar mewbie question, if two players have a flush with the ace of that suit on the board, its not a split pot. Whoever has the higher flush cards wins. If I hold 78clubs and you have 2Jclubs, and we both flush with an Aclubs on board, you would win. Both have ace high flush, but you gotta keep going down the ladder.