PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought for aspiring pros (drunk rambling, really...)

bholdr
11-05-2005, 04:42 AM
No real point, i'm just gonna shoot off my (drunk) mouth for a sec... Listen:

I tried for a long time to make a ton of $$$ playing, and all that happened is that i got sick of poker (well... i did make some good dough...) and spent too much time in front of my computer.

Recently, i decided to quit focusing on the bottom line, winrates, etc, and just have FUN with it again; to play because i love the GAME, and not the money; Try tourneys, PLO, NL, etc...

As a result, i've made more $$$ this week than in the last three months. i am having fun again, which makes me play better, win more, and feel like less of a degenerate gambling drain on society. so, i highly reccomend keeping poker as a hobby and not a job.

that's it, i guess... any comments, anecdotes, or simaler experiences? i wish i had been told this when i went (semi)pro.

11-05-2005, 06:49 AM
I found this to be very true. Having fun or other interests puts poker in perspective and makes me play better. I've documented some of my pro experiences on my blog http://thispokerlife.blogspot.com There are a few affiliate links on my blog because I've tried to make money doing something besides playing poker this past year, but I'm a terrible affiliate (at least when it comes to making a profit) so I'm sure nobody will click on them, but if you search back in my posts I've written about why I started playing and how insane it can be to try and grind out a living and other goofy stuff about the lifestyle. I know now I can make it playing, but I'm still a mid-limit player for the most part and would rather read a good book or go out for a beer or do a whole lot of things besides play poker because it has become work and I really started playing because I didn't want to work.