PDA

View Full Version : Really Cheap (And Sketchy) Calling Cards

11-04-2005, 08:13 PM
You know what I'm talking about. Those $5/76312345235 minute calling cards 'on sale' at convenience stores and other sketchy retailers. How are they so cheap, and generally how reliable are they? I've bought a few, and two were fairly close to what was promised, while another didn't work. Did I get lucky, or unlucky? Are these stolen or something? I currently pay like $0.30 per minute for long distance and these cards promise something like $0.07 a minute, so they're tempting, but I'm curious what's really going on...

11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
um, walmart and sams club sell ones with 3.4c/minute.

11-04-2005, 08:26 PM
I live in a foreign country, our long distance rates suck. The sketchy ones I'm talking about are substantially cheaper than the legit ones.

rusellmj
11-04-2005, 08:27 PM
My folks use those cards. they haven't had long distance on their home phone for years.

I think they get there's from Costco.

So just find a legit card that has a better rate than the phone company. Or try one of the cheap ones, worst case is your out a few bucks.

rohjoh
11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
The cheap ones work, you are just jumping on an illegal network. The reason long distance is so expensive is the tolls and tarrifs. These guys set up networks that bypass these tolls. Many of them are using voice over IP technology. Problem is they get shut down, and then the card is no good.

tonypaladino
11-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Just get a Sprint one from Costo or Walmart.

krazyace5
11-04-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in a foreign country, our long distance rates suck. The sketchy ones I'm talking about are substantially cheaper than the legit ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

They usually charge a minimum minute charge per call or a large per call charge.

Where do you live?

eviljeff
11-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I use calling cards. you can definitely get ridiculously cheap US rates like 3 cents/min or even lower. just buy an MCI/Sprint card. there's no connection fee unless you use it from a payphone - then you get raped like 60 cents or something ridiculous.

I bought a shady international calling card off the internet that was supposed give me like 500 minutes for $20 but it ended up being like 15 min.

captZEEbo1
11-05-2005, 05:21 AM
pingo.com

This site has really really good rates.