View Full Version : River play?

elindauer
06-17-2003, 11:04 AM
$1 / $2 at PartyPoker. I'm dealt TT and raise preflop in the small blind, getting 2 or 3 callers. I have just entered the game and don't know anything specific about the players.

Flop: 6c 8d Tc. Booya. I bet. Guy to my left raises. Another guy cold-calls. I 3-bet. Guy on my left 4-bets. Third guy cold-calls again.

Turn: [6c 8d Tc] 2h. I check. Guy on my left bets. Third guy calls. I call.
River: [6c 8d Tc 2h] Ac. I check. Guy on my left bets. Third guy calls.

What's your play? Feel free to criticize any of my bets as well...

mauisupaman
06-17-2003, 11:20 AM
elindauer,
Why did you check the turn? The only hand that has you beat is 97 and you can't assess your standing by checking to him. I would bet again on the turn and perhaps slow down if raised - you do have outs to fill up if your opponent did flop the straight. But I know some others on this forum would reraise if raised on the turn. I'd bet the river as well. Someone isn't always drawing to that flush when it hits the river. Hope the set held up.

Homer
06-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I would have checkraised the turn. I'd probably call on the river, since the flush just got there, but I don't think checkraising is a bad play either.

-- Homer

elindauer
06-17-2003, 12:16 PM
"Hope the set held up."

Thanks. My set did hold up. Too bad it was at the bottom of the muck.

I convinced myself that these two players wouldn't stand this much action on the flop without either a made straight or a flush draw against me. When the flush came home I decided to make the big laydown, then fell on the floor when the second player showed 66 for bottom set to take it down.

In retrospect, my play on the turn was too weak. I should have led at the pot, then called a raise. Given this weak showing on the turn, I certainly should have called the river, especially when it was just one bet to me. argh.

Didn't think quickly enough and talked myself into a big mistake. Argh.

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 12:19 PM
C/R the turn, bet the river, if you're 3-bet on the turn, consider slowing down, but I'd probably still bet the river and call a raise, or cap it if the board pairs.

slavic
06-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Check raise the river and I'd like make it 4 if he makes it 3 especially if the 3rd guy is comming for the ride.

The flush got here, so bet out, you can call one raise.

slavic
06-17-2003, 12:36 PM
I wish I could say I've never done that.

Welcome to the club, meetings everey monday night. Please bring a side dish.

Homer
06-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Ahhhh!! You are getting 14:1 on the river, with your call closing the action. Did you really think your hand would be good less than 6.6% of the time? I would never fold in this situation for one bet on the river. What beats you....?

-- Set of Aces - Unlikely, since no one raised preflop

-- Straight - Maybe guy to your left has this, but not as often as he needs to have it for it to be correct for you to fold for one bet on the river

-- Flush - Who's going to have this? Guy to your left doesn't look like a man with a flush draw on the flop/turn, and coldcalling guy only called on the river

I don't think I've ever made a big laydown in my life. I suspect you won't be making one again for a long time.

-- Homer

elindauer
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
I couldn't agree more. A bad play. I gave too much credit to the 4-bet on the flop, and became convinced that the third guy was on a flush draw. When the flush arrived, my brain cramped up and I didn't think about the fact that the third guy had only called.

Now if the third guy had raised when the flush arrived... I think then maybe it might not be such a terrible play. Maybe. Even then this laydown is doubtful, especially in a low limit game where the players may be overplaying their hands.

Lesson learned, but it still hurts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

elindauer
06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
I agree that I played far too weak and passive on the turn. However, I don't see how I could start / continue betting once the flush arrives. What do you think the third guy has? Everything about his play suggests flush draw. I can see check-calling based on pot odds, but that's about it.

slavic
06-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I've just gotten to were I bet the river in low limit. I see so many gutshot draws and bottom pair callers.

bernie
06-17-2003, 06:23 PM
why stop betting on the big streets? this is a c/r on the turn since you didnt bet out.

you lost alot of chips playing passively on this one

ouch

b

unome
06-17-2003, 06:43 PM
I think the turn is where my conservative nature takes over. While I don't think the check raise is a bad play at all, I think I'd rather bet into the guy and see what happens. Yeah, it's unlikely that he has 7-9 when calling in ep, but this is low limit and he doesn't have a real read on this player. If I'm raised and the other player cold calls, I just call for fear that I'm up against the str8 and flush draws (although the flush doesnt bother me as much because I want to charge him for the draw.) When the club comes I certainly don't fold this hand even for two bets in this situation, but I do check call and pray.

CORed
06-17-2003, 07:03 PM
There aren't very many "nevers" in poker, but I think "Never fold a set for 1 bet." isn't very far from wrong. In fact, I wouldn't fold for two bets here, especially in a micro-limit game. I don't know how many times I've seen some fool play a rag 2 pair like it's the nuts, completely oblivious to straights, flushes or big pairs on the board. At this limit, the 4-bet on the flop could mean anything from a straight to "I don't have anything at all but I came here to gamble." The turn play was weak too. You have a very good hand. Even if you're beat, you've got a very good draw.

elysium
06-18-2003, 12:17 AM
hi elinda
well,you need to step it up a little. looks like set over set to me. i have you leading. should raise and reraise.

mobes
06-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Wow. While I think you were way too passive throughout the hand, I cant believe you laid it down. I think this is one of those hands that even if I was convinced he had the flush I would pay him off to prove to myself that I knew I was beat.

MD_
06-18-2003, 09:52 AM
I have never made a laydown this bad.

-MD