PDA

View Full Version : Is Chip Reese Gay?

Al Mirpuri
06-17-2003, 09:19 AM
I was rereading SuperSystem and on the biographical page for Chip Reese, who is as we all know an acknowledged poker superstar, there is a remark about someone being his 'friend...current partner'. This lead me to suppose Chip Reese was gay.

1. If Chip Reese, was and is gay, then I would like to congratulate the liberal poker world of the 70s that allowed him to declare himself so. There is still a lot of homophobia out there.

2. If Chip Reese is not gay then he might want the page amended so it does not give the reader the impression that he is gay. He should not take the credit for something he is not. Moreover, there is still a lot of homophobia out there. If Chip Reese merely had a friend that became a business partner then I would like to apologise for any embarrassment caused to that friend/business partner and Chip Reese via this post.

David Steele
06-17-2003, 06:49 PM
Any book where the flop is called "the turn" can't
be expected to give easily interpretted information of this sort.

D.

scalf
06-17-2003, 07:12 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ever see a pic of chip's wife...a fox...funniest story about chip...he and doily had a huge bet about who could lose the most weight in a month...chip won by gaining over 15 lbs....doillly paid w/o complaint...gl /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Inthacup
06-17-2003, 07:20 PM
"'friend...current partner'"

Where these even terms that were used for gays in the 70's? I wasn't alive for much of the 70s so I don't know, but I thought most of the gay nomenclature has come within the last 15-20 yrs. Also, isn't "current partner" wayyy to PC to be used in the 70s?

Timer
06-18-2003, 02:09 AM
>>Any book where the flop is called "the turn" can't
be expected to give easily interpretted information of this sort.<<

Maybe the flop was referred to as "the turn" as in I took a turn with the 98h.

Just because the nomenclature doesn't meet with your approval in your 3-6 game doesn'mean that isn't how things were done in the past.

Al Mirpuri
06-18-2003, 08:33 AM
I loved the losing weight for a bet story.

Al Mirpuri
06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
This is a very good point and one I had not given any consideration to before posting. Are there any sociolinguists posting who can give us a definitive ruling on this point?

Zele
06-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Doyle is from Texas, where hold 'em was invented. In Texas, at least in earlier times, the flop was called "the turn."

Easy E
06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Does it mean ANYTHING at all?

sheesshh....

Easy E
06-19-2003, 11:50 AM
then ignore the post.

Jimbo
06-19-2003, 11:52 AM
". Are there any sociolinguists posting who can give us a definitive ruling on this point?"

I am far from a sociolinguist but I did grow up in the 70's. You were not "gay" in the 70's, you were a queer. You did not have a "partner" you had a "butt-buddy". If you did not wear green on Thursdays you got your ass pinched by guys who were sure they not gay. Go figure!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Al Mirpuri
06-20-2003, 08:17 AM
What really convinced me that the words 'friend...current partner' had the meaning I thought they had was that the biographical text was accompanied by a picture of Chip Reese. He was all blond and looked like those busts of Alexander the Great - who was gay.