PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Working Fine but Party, Absolute, Etc. Not Loading

buffett
11-04-2005, 05:15 PM
<u>Bottom Line</u>: I can use Internet Explorer to surf and email just fine, and I can even bring up MultiPoker and it works. But when I try to launch Absolute, I get an Absolute window that says, "Sorry, we can't find an internet connection." With Party, a progress bar comes up in the middle of my screen, and the blue starts to fill it up, but it slows down at about 50% and then crawls to about 99.5% and then does nothing.

<u>Expanded Description</u>: Earlier this week I noticed that my $20/mo. deal for Comcast broadband had expired and now they were charging me $42 again. Wednesday morning I called Comcast to complain and they changed it to $30. Wednesday evening I get home from work, fire up Explorer, but instead of my Gmail Homepage loading, there's a Comcast message that has taken over my browser saying something like "Welcome to Comcast....new subscribers click here, current subscribers click here." It walked me through some sort of download wizard (I guess I should have been paying more attention to what exactly was happening, but I wasn't), then my internet was fine. I played several hundred hands on Party that evening, then I turned my computer off before going to sleep. (Btw, I have a 2002 Toshiba laptop, an attached 2001fp, and a USB cable connecting my laptop first to an RCA modem and then the cable jack in the wall.)

Thursday night I come home, turn on the computer, check email, then try to start Party. It never loads. I try Poker Room and I get some error pop-up window saying basically "no internet connection." Absolute gives me a similar window, Paradise doesn't do anything at all (no window, no nothing), but Multi works just fine. I call Comcast support, and he helps me do the following:

Makes sure my ethernet connection (1 of my 2 connections under "Network Connections") is disabled. Notices that my USB connection says "Network cable unplugged," and has me enable it (but that didn't help so) then uninstall then reinstall the driver for the USB connection. We turned off the computer, the modem, unplugged the modem, rebooted, blah blah blah, and I'm still in the same situation: browser OK, Party not OK.

At the end of it all, Comcast support had me type "ping www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)" at the "cmd" DOS prompt, and I got "ping failed...error message 65." He said he couldn't help me further, and that I'd need to talk to Microsoft from this point.

My friend suggests that I uninstall-reinstall Party, Etc. tonight when I get home. I'm going to try that, but I thought I'd post this here in case anyone has any good ideas in the meantime.

Thanks for reading to the end of this long and boring post. Hopefully there's a quick and easy (and free) fix to this. If, after a few hours, I see from the responses that there isn't, then I'll open it up for people to contact me directly (via cell phone I guess) and walk me through the fix for a $15 paypal credit. Thanks, everybody!
-web

PS
I'm not sure if this matters, but....also earlier this week (Tuesday or so) I played a couple of games on MSN Zone for the first time in a long time, and it had me download a couple of ActiveX things.

buffett
11-04-2005, 05:17 PM
PPS
When my $20/mo thing from Comcast ran out, so did at least a couple of antivirus/firewall-type programs. Each time I log on I get one or two popups (from Computer Associates, McAfee, and/or EZ-Trust) saying "Hey, your account recently expired....please re-up."
-web